AIX® Toolbox for Linux® Applications contains a collection of open source and GNU software built for AIX IBM Systems. These tools provide the basis of the development environment of choice for many Linux application developers. All the tools are packaged using the easy to install RPM format. There is a strong affinity between Linux and AIX for applications. The AIX operating system (OS) has a long history of standards compliance and it is generally straightforward to rebuild Linux applications for AIX. The AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications demonstrates the strong affinity between Linux and AIX operating systems.
Uses of AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications
- Build and package Linux applications for use on AIX
- Run other popular software commonly found in Linux distributions
- Manage open source software using the popular RPM package management system
- Develop new applications for the AIX OS using GNU and Linux application development tools
The AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications contains a wide variety of software, including but not limited to:
- Application Development - gcc, g++, gdb, rpm, cvs, automake, autoconf, libtool, git, subversion, gettext
- GNU base utilities - gawk, m4, indent, sed, tar, diffutils, findutils, grep, coreutils
- Programming Languages - perl, python, ruby, php
- System Utilities - emacs, vim, bzip2, gzip, rsync, wget, lsof, less, samba, zip, unzip
- Libraries - ncurses, readline, libxml2, libyaml, libpng, libjpeg, slang, db, glib2, zlib, gtk+
- System Shells - bash, tcsh, zsh
- Software Managment - YUM
- Developing graphical user interface - gtk2+
- Cloud environment - cloud-init, python-swift
This software is offered on an "as-is" basis. Refer to the licensing and installation instructions for further information.
These packages are available for installation using the rpm package manager. Download the AIX install image for the rpm package manager for POWER (RTE, 43.9MB).
For further information, installation tips, and news, please refer to the AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications ReadMe (TXT, 35KB).
Links to source RPMs (SRPMs) is provided in "alphabetical" and "by date" download sites mentioned in the resources section below.
SRPMS contains source code, SPEC files, and any patches required to build binary RPM packages.