IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 delivers simplified COBOL/Java interoperability, AMODE 31/AMODE 64 interoperability, and support for the new IBM z16 hardwareIBM United States Software Announcement 222-114
April 5, 2022
|Table of contents|
IBM® Enterprise COBOL for z/OS® is an advanced optimizing compiler that helps clients create and maintain COBOL applications that execute on IBM z/OS and take full advantage of the latest IBM Z® hardware features.
New capabilities in Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 include:
- Support of the latest IBM z/Architecture® to maximize your IBM z16 investment, reduce CPU usage, and improve performance of critical COBOL applications
- Improved Java/COBOL interoperability to easily extend the capabilities of your COBOL programs with Java
- Interoperability between AMODE 31 (31-bit) and AMODE 64 (64-bit) COBOL programs to handle your growing COBOL program data without converting the entire application to run in AMODE 64
- Support for user-defined functions to enable you to write your own functions and invoke them like intrinsic functions, improving code modularity and maintainability
- Improved integration with IBM Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS to invest in your future so that modules you compile today take advantage of future IBM Z hardware enhancements, without having to be recompiled
Back to top
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS is a leading-edge, IBM z/OS based compiler that helps you create, modernize, and maintain mission-critical, line-of-business COBOL applications to execute on your z/OS operating systems. The applications that are created using Enterprise COBOL for z/OS can interoperate with transactional and data systems such as IBM CICS®, IBM Db2®, and IBM IMS. The COBOL compiler helps your existing COBOL applications work with modern infrastructure technologies, such as mobile, web, and cloud, with native support for JSON, XML, and Java.
A key strength of the Enterprise COBOL compiler is the continual support of the latest IBM Z hardware architectures. The ARCH level option instructs the compiler to generate optimized code that can leverage a particular IBM Z hardware architecture. Application developers can recompile using the ARCH level compiler option of their choice to instruct the compiler to generate code for their application that uses instructions available on a particular architecture level. This translates into immediate support for that architecture level and improved computational performance without any source code changes.
Over the course of multiple releases, Enterprise COBOL for z/OS has offered new functions to provide the tools you need to maximize your IBM Z hardware ROI and improve the performance of your business-critical applications.
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 continues the IBM commitment to the COBOL programming language on IBM Z through investment in new compiler technology and the continued delivery of new features. With version 6.4, you gain the benefit of new investment that is combined with more than 60 years of IBM experience in compiler development.
Back to top
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 requires z/OS V2.3 (5650-ZOS), or later.
For additional details, see the Software requirements section.
Back to top
May 27, 2022
Availability within a country is subject to local legal requirements.
Back to top
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 includes the following new features:
Support of the latest z/Architecture to maximize your IBM z16 investment, reduce CPU usage, and improve performance of critical COBOL applications
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 incorporates leading-edge code generation and optimization technology to maximize hardware utilization and to help improve application performance.
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 adds support for the new vector packed-decimal enhancement facility 2 in IBM z16 through the new ARCH(14) compiler option. No source changes are required to take advantage of this new facility; just recompile with ARCH(14) to target IBM z16.
- This new facility adds performance improvements for COBOL programs
that contain one or more of the following types of statements:
- Exponentiation statements on packed or zoned decimal data items where the exponent is declared with one or more fractional digits
- Arithmetic statements involving mixed decimal and floating-point data items
- Statements using numeric-edited data items
Improved Java/COBOL interoperability to easily extend the capabilities of your COBOL program with Java
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 helps simplify interoperability between your COBOL and Java applications so that you can easily extend your COBOL application with Java. Java is a popular language that is familiar to your enterprise-wide developers, including those newly hired.
- Removes the need to write object-oriented COBOL and reduces the
number of manual JNI calls required compared to COBOL 6.3.
- Compared to COBOL 6.3, COBOL 6.4 automatically handles a wider variety of interoperation scenarios between COBOL and Java, so the COBOL/Java interoperability feature in COBOL 6.4 reduces the need for users to manually make JNI calls from their programs.
- Three COBOL/Java communication features are provided:
- Enabling a COBOL program to be callable from Java
- Enabling the CALL statement in COBOL to call a static Java method
- Enabling Java applications to easily access the working-storage memory of a COBOL program
- Interoperate existing AMODE 31 (31-bit) COBOL applications and Java
applications without converting the entire COBOL application to run
in AMODE 64 (64-bit) or using AMODE 31 (31-bit) Java.
- Interoperate existing AMODE 31 COBOL applications and AMODE 64 Java applications.
- No need to convert your entire COBOL application to run in AMODE 64.
- Use of this feature requires IBM Language Environment® (LE) 2.3 or 2.4 with APAR PH28966, or LE 2.5.
- Client applications that previously used the AMODE 31 Java SDK might need to be modified to run in AMODE 64 mode. Only AMODE 64 versions are available with the Java SDK Version 11.
- Use of these features requires IBM SDK for z/OS, Java Technology Edition 220.127.116.11 (JVM) or later.
Interoperability between AMODE 31 (31-bit) and AMODE 64 (64-bit) COBOL programs to handle your growing data without converting the entire application to run in AMODE 64
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 provides support for creating AMODE 64 COBOL applications that can interoperate with your existing AMODE 31 COBOL applications. AMODE 64 COBOL applications can access data items greater than the existing AMODE 31 data size limits, without changes to the program logic.
- An AMODE 64 COBOL program can access data stored in the address space above 2 GB (up to 16 EB), extending the available space for your growing data. With AMODE 31 COBOL, this storage is limited to the address space below 2 GB.
- Removes the need to convert the entire COBOL application to run in AMODE 64 immediately. Gradually convert AMODE 31 applications to AMODE 64.
- AMODE 31 COBOL programs can call AMODE 64 COBOL programs and AMODE 64 COBOL programs can call AMODE 31 COBOL program using dynamic calls.
- The compiler and the COBOL runtime library take advantage of a new Language Environment feature to manage AMODE switching.
- This LE feature allows a DLL subprogram to have a different AMODE from its caller. Existing applications running in AMODE 31 using dynamic calls can take advantage of this feature with minimal or no changes.
Support for user-defined functions to write your own functions and invoke them like intrinsic functions, improving code modularity and maintainability
Write your own functions using the new Enterprise COBOL construct, the user-defined function definition, and invoke them like intrinsic functions. As with many popular programming languages, COBOL 6.4 supports user-defined functions, which gives new COBOL programmers a familiar structure.
- User-defined functions can only be called statically and must be defined within the same compilation group as the programs that call them.
- User-defined functions is a COBOL 2002 standard feature. Support of programming language standards provides you with additional functionality so that you can modernize your application. It also allows for maximum portability of your source code among a variety of compiler implementations.
Improved integration with IBM Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS to invest in your future so that modules you compile today take advantage of future IBM Z hardware enhancements, without having to be recompiled
- Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS (sold separately) improves the performance of already-compiled COBOL program modules without recompiling, source code migration, or performance tuning.
- COBOL 6.4 generates metadata that is designed to allow modules compiled with COBOL 6.4 today to be easily optimized in the future by Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS.
- Use Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 for new development, modernization, and maintenance. Use Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS to improve the performance of the COBOL modules without a recompilation plan.
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 adds support for building and running COBOL applications for the z/OS V2.5 operating system.
- Default ARCH changed to ARCH(10) [zEC12/zBC12] and support removed for ARCH(8) [z10EC, z10BC] and ARCH(9) [z196, z114].
Features of Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 made available through continuous delivery
Since version 6.1, Enterprise COBOL for z/OS has been enhanced to support the continuous delivery (CD) model. Through continuous delivery, new features and enhancements are included in program temporary fixes (PTFs) along with corrective and preventative service. You receive new features and enhanced capabilities as soon as the code is ready. You benefit by receiving enhancements in a faster and more continuous way without waiting for the next release.
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 includes all the version 6.3 features delivered through continuous delivery. These features include:
- JSON GENERATE and PARSE boolean values enablement with the new CONVERTING phrase
- JSON GENERATE SUPPRESS enhancement to conditionally suppress data items during JSON GENERATE with the new when-phrase and generic-suppression-phrase
- Support for NAME is OMITTED phrase of JSON GENERATE statement
- AMODE 64 (64-bit):
- Support for UTF-8 data items in AMODE 64
- Support for dynamic-length elementary items in AMODE 64
- Add support for the new >>DATA directive for
- Add support for the new >>DATA directive for AMODE 64 COBOL programs
- Support COBOL Dynamic Call in a mixed AMODE 31/AMODE 64 environment
- Intrinsic functions:
- New date and time intrinsic functions. With the new date and time intrinsic functions (as part of the 2002 and 2014 COBOL Standards), you can encode and decode date and time information to and from formats specified in ISO 8601, and encode and decode date and time information to and from integers that are suitable for arithmetic.
- Support for new intrinsic function UUID4.
- Performance improvement for INSPECT statement
- TUNE option support
- Discovering invalid data:
- Enhancement to the INITCHECK option to find all possible "used without being initialized" fields
- Support for new NUMCHECK(ZON) suboptions LAXREDEF and STRICTREDEF
- Add support for INVDATA option for improved compatibility with NUMPROC(MIG) option from version 4 and earlier
- Debug support:
- Debug support for UTF-8 data items
- Enable debug support for dynamic-length elementary items
- Set OPTFILE as default without affecting SYSOPTF file availability
- New rules suboptions LAXREDEF|NOLAXREDEF
- Improved COBOL OFFSET report usability
- Diagnose options coded as OPTION() instead of OPTION= in the COBOL customization macro
Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 is capable as of April 5, 2022, when used in accordance with associated IBM documentation, of satisfying the applicable standards, including the Worldwide Consortium Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, European Standard EN 301 349, and US Section 508, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it. An Accessibility Conformance Statement can be requested on the IBM Accessibility Conformance Report website.
Back to top
Enterprise COBOL is a premier, enterprise-class COBOL compiler for the z/OS system. It is a proven and reliable program that:
- Delivers innovation for modernizing business-critical applications and programming features to increase programmer productivity
- Bolsters the overall benefits of transactional and data systems, such as CICS, IMS, and Db2
Modern IBM Z hardware has increasing complexity and is designed to deliver performance through the implementation of hardware features and compiler support. To get the most out of your IBM Z hardware, you need to use the latest Enterprise COBOL for z/OS compiler and selectively optimize CPU-intensive parts of the applications. This will help you reduce CPU utilization and operating costs.
The ARCH and OPTIMIZE compiler options of Enterprise COBOL for z/OS can be used to unleash the full power of IBM processors that are delivered in the various IBM Z hardware models. COBOL 6.4 now supports the ARCH(14) option that is designed to achieve the best performance on IBM z16 hardware. COBOL programmers no longer need a deep understanding of IBM z/Architecture to leverage leading-edge performance of new IBM Z hardware. Developers only need to focus on the logic of the applications and let the compiler determine the best way to transform and optimize the code generation for the IBM Z hardware on which the application will run. To maximize your performance potential, consider using Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS (sold separately) to optimize any COBOL modules that are not under active development.
With Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4, the return on your hardware and middleware investments is increased. With the implementation of advanced code generation and optimization technology, Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 establishes a foundation for delivery of additional optimization features and support of IBM z/Architecture.
With its enhanced capabilities, simplified programming, and increased programmer productivity, you can continue to use Enterprise COBOL for z/OS to modernize existing business-critical applications. Modernization enables the reuse of your proven business logic and helps you to:
- Deliver new enhancements quicker, with less cost and lower risk
- Add modern GUIs to business-critical COBOL applications or extend them to work with web, cloud, or mobile infrastructures
- Build on proven applications in which you do not need to write original code
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 continues the IBM commitment to COBOL on z/OS. With this release, you gain the benefit of new investment combined with more than 60 years of IBM experience in compiler development.
Back to top
|Program number||VRM||Program name|
|5655-EC6||6.4.0||IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6|
Back to top
IBM Systems Lab Services
Systems Lab Services offers infrastructure services to help build hybrid cloud and enterprise IT solutions. From servers to storage systems and software, Systems Lab Services can help deploy the building blocks of a next-generation IT infrastructure to empower a client's business. Systems Lab Services consultants can perform infrastructure services for clients online or onsite, offering deep technical expertise, valuable tools, and successful methodologies. Systems Lab Services is designed to help clients solve business challenges, gain new skills, and apply best practices.
Systems Lab Services offers a wide range of infrastructure services for IBM Power® servers, IBM Storage systems, IBM Z, and IBM LinuxONE. Systems Lab Services has a global presence and can deploy experienced consultants online or onsite around the world.
For assistance, contact Systems Lab Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more, see the IBM Systems Lab Services website.
As digital transformation continues across every industry, businesses need a strategic partner to map and implement their enterprise-wide business and mainframe modernization journey. IBM Consulting is the business partner to help accelerate change across an organization. IBM mainframe modernization consultants and architects can help businesses succeed through finding collaborative ways of working that forge connections across people, technologies, and partner ecosystems. IBM Consulting brings together the business expertise, technology leadership and proven methodology along with an ecosystem of technologies that help solve some of the biggest problems faced by organizations. The integrated approach that is grounded in modern mainframe innovations, an open and flexible hybrid cloud architecture, and incorporating technology from IBM Research®, IBM Watson® AI, and IBM Consulting enables businesses to lead change with confidence and deliver continuous improvement across a business and its bottom line.
COBOL Upgrade is one of the many mainframe modernization patterns from IBM Consulting. IBM consultants can help you with your strategy and capacity to migrate applications from older IBM COBOL compilers to Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.2, 6.3, or 6.4 and reduce cost with optimized code. Optimization of COBOL modules with IBM Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS is also available.
For additional information, see the IBM Consulting website.
IBM Technology Support Services (TSS)
Get preventive maintenance, onsite and remote support, and gain actionable insights into critical business applications and IT systems. Speed developer innovation with support for over 240 open-source packages. Leverage powerful IBM analytics and AI-enabled tools to enable client teams to manage IT problems before they become emergencies.
TSS offers extensive IT maintenance and support services that cover more than one niche of a client's environment. TSS covers products from IBM and OEMs, including servers, storage, network, appliances, and software, to help clients ensure high availability across their data center and hybrid cloud environment.
For details on available services, see the Technology support for hybrid cloud environments website.
IBM Expert Labs
Expert Labs can help clients accelerate their projects and optimize value by leveraging their deep technical skills and knowledge. With more than 20 years of industry experience, these specialists know how to overcome the biggest challenges to deliver business results that can have an immediate impact.
Expert Labs' deep alignment with IBM product development allows for a strategic advantage as they are often the first in line to get access to new products, features, and early visibility into roadmaps. This connection with the development enables them to deliver First of a Kind implementations to address unique needs or expand a client's business with a flexible approach that works best for their organization.
For additional information, see the IBM Expert Labs website.
IBM Security® Expert Labs
With extensive consultative expertise on IBM Security software solutions, Security Expert Labs helps clients and partners modernize the security of their applications, data, and workforce. With an extensive portfolio of consulting and learning services, Expert Labs provides project-based and premier support service subscriptions.
These services can help clients deploy and integrate IBM Security software, extend their team resources, and help guide and accelerate successful hybrid cloud solutions, including critical strategies such as zero trust. Remote and on-premises software deployment assistance is available for IBM Cloud Pak® for Security, IBM Security QRadar®/QRoC, IBM Security SOAR/Resilient®, IBM i2®, IBM Security Verify, IBM Security Guardium®, and IBM Security MaaS360®.
For more information, contact Security Expert Labs at email@example.com.
For additional information, see the IBM Security Expert Labs website.
Back to top
IBM Support is your gateway to technical support tools and resources that are designed to help you save time and simplify support. IBM Support can help you find answers to questions, download fixes, troubleshoot, submit and track problem cases, and build skills. Learn and stay informed about the transformation of IBM Support, including new tools, new processes, and new capabilities, by going to the IBM Support Insider.
Back to top
IBM Client Engineering for Systems
Client Engineering for Systems is a framework for accelerating digital transformation. It helps you generate innovative ideas and equips you with the practices, technologies, and expertise to turn those ideas into business value in weeks. When you work with Client Engineering for Systems, you bring pain points into focus. You empower your team to take manageable risks, adopt leading technologies, speed up solution development, and measure the value of everything you do. Client Engineering for Systems has experts and services to address a broad array of use cases, including capabilities for business transformation, hybrid cloud, analytics and AI, infrastructure systems, security, and more. To learn more, see the IBM Client Engineering for Systems website.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 runs on and generates code that runs on the following IBM Z servers:
- IBM z16
- IBM z15 Models T01 and T02
- IBM z14® Models M01-M05
- IBM z14 Model ZR1
- IBM z13®
- IBM z13s®
- IBM zEC12
- IBM zBC12
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 runs under the control of, or in conjunction with, the currently supported releases of the following programs and their subsequent releases or their equivalents. For more information, see the Program Directory and the preventive service planning (PSP) bucket.
- z/OS V2.3 (5650-ZOS), or later, is required.
- For installation on z/OS, z/OS SMP/E is required.
- For customization during or after installation, z/OS High Level Assembler is required.
- Enterprise COBOL XML PARSE statements in programs, which are compiled with the XMLPARSE(XMLSS) compiler option, require z/OS XML System Services 2.3 (5650-ZOS), or later.
- The new COBOL/Java interoperability feature available in Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 requires IBM SDK for z/OS, Java Technology Edition 18.104.22.168 (JVM), or later.
Optional licensed programs
Depending on the functions used, you many require other software products such as CICS, Db2, or IMS. For a list of compatible software, see the Software Products Compatibility Reports (SPCR) website. From the SPCR website, click Create a Report under in-depth reports, search for Enterprise COBOL for z/OS, choose Version 6.4, and then click Submit.
User group requirements
The functions described in this announcement may address requirements from one or more of the worldwide user group communities. Groups include SHARE Inc., Guide SHARE Europe (GSE), Japan Guide Share (JGS), InterAction (Australia/New Zealand), COMMON, and COMMON Europe.
The Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6.4 package includes:
- Basic machine-readable material on the customer-selected distribution medium
- Program Directory (GI13-4526-03)
- Licensed Program Specifications (GI13-4532-03)
Security, auditability, and control
The announced program uses the security and auditability features of the host operating system software.
The client is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
Back to top
Ordering z/OS through the internet
Shopz provides an easy way to plan and order your z/OS packaged offering. It will analyze your current installation, determine the correct product migration, and present your new configuration based on z/OS. Additional products can also be added to your order. Shopz will determine whether all product requisites are satisfied. Shopz is available in all countries. For more details and availability, go to the Shopz website.
The following publications will be available for download in IBM Documentation after planned availability, or you can contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner.
- Online documentation is available in IBM Documentation after planned availability.
- Documentation is provided for download in PDF from IBM Documentation after planned availability. See PDF version documentation for details.
|Title||Form number||Availability date|
|Program Directory||GI13-4526-03||May 27, 2022|
Licensed Program Specifications
|Title||Form number||Availability date|
|Licensed Program Specifications||GI13-4532-03||May 27, 2022|
Additional product documentation
|Title||Form number||Availability date|
|Language Reference||SC27-8713-03||May 27, 2022|
|Customization Guide||SC27-8712-03||May 27, 2022|
|Messages and Codes||SC27-4648-02||May 27, 2022|
|Migration Guide||GC27-8715-03||May 27, 2022|
|Performance Tuning Guide||SC27-9202-02||May 27, 2022|
|Programming Guide||SC27-8714-03||May 27, 2022|
|What's New||SC31-5708-00||May 27, 2022|
Subsequent updates (technical newsletters or revisions between releases) to the publications shipped with the product will be distributed to the user of record for as long as a license for this software remains in effect. A separate publication order or subscription is not needed.
Product deliverables are shipped only through CBPDO and ServerPac. These customized offerings are offered for internet delivery from Shopz. For more details on internet delivery, go to the Help section on the Shopz website.
IBM recommends internet delivery. However, if you still require physical media, you can choose DVD.
Many products can be ordered in ServerPac the month following their availability in CBPDO. z/OS can be ordered through CBPDO and ServerPac on the planned availability date. Many products will also be orderable in a ServerPac without also having to order the z/OS operating system or subsystem.
Shopz and CFSW will determine the eligibility based on product requisite checking. For more details on the ServerPac, go to the Help section on the Shopz website.
Production of software product orders will begin on the planned availability date.
- CBPDO shipments will begin within 3 business days after the planned availability date.
- ServerPac availability and shipments will begin within 3 - 4 weeks after the planned availability date due to additional customization and data input verification.
Back to top
IBM Client Relationship Agreement (CRA) or IBM Customer Agreement (ICA)
Variable charges apply
Location license applies
Educational allowance available
Yes, 15% education allowance applies to qualified education institution Clients.
Multi-Version Measurement (MVM) Sub-Capacity charges for the most recent program version are for the combined concurrent peak utilization of the LPARs where any version of the eligible program is used. MVM Full Capacity charges for the most recent program version are for the full capacity of the machine. Program charges are waived for any older eligible versions. MVM does not extend support dates for programs withdrawn from service.
Back to top
IT system security involves protecting systems and information through prevention, detection, and response to improper access from within and outside your enterprise. Improper access can result in information being altered, destroyed, or misappropriated or can result in misuse of your systems to attack others. Without a comprehensive approach to security, no IT system or product should be considered completely secure and no single product or security measure can be completely effective in preventing improper access. IBM systems and products are designed to be part of a lawful, comprehensive security approach, which will necessarily involve additional operational procedures, and may require other systems, products, or services to be most effective.
Important: IBM does not warrant that any systems, products, or services are immune from, or will make your enterprise immune from, the malicious or illegal conduct of any party.
Back to top
For additional information and current prices, contact your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner.
For additional product information about Enterprise COBOL for z/OS 6, see Software Announcement 216-059, dated February 16, 2016.
The applicable processor based one-time charge will be based on the group of the designated machine on which the program is licensed for use. If the program is designated to a processor in a group for which no charge is listed, the charge of the next higher group listed applies. For movement to a machine in a higher group, an upgrade charge equal to the difference in the then-current charges between the two groups will apply. For movement to a machine in a lower group, there will be no adjustment or refund of charges paid.
Back to top
American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Puerto Rico, United States, and US Virgin Islands
z15 is a trademark of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, z/OS, IBM Z, z/Architecture, CICS, Db2, Language Environment, Power, IBM Research, IBM Watson, IBM Security, IBM Cloud Pak, QRadar, Resilient, i2, Guardium, MaaS360, IBM z14, IBM z13 and IBM z13s are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Oracle and Java are trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or go to the IBM worldwide contacts page