External V.34 Data/Fax Modem Offers High Performance, High Function
September 3, 1996
Announcement Number: 196-174
Document's Table of Contents:
- At a Glance
- PRODUCT POSITIONING
- TECHNICAL INFORMATION
- TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- CALL NOW TO ORDER
At a Glance
The External V.34 Data/Fax Modem is designed for commercial and server applications.
- Designed and tested for use as an AS/400 ECS modem and with IBM
Facsimile Support for OS/400(R) as a fax modem
- Full V.25bis Synchronous Support
- Two-wire Leased Line Support with Switched Network Backup
----------------------------------------- For ordering, contact: Your IBM representative, an IBM Authorized Business Partner, or IBM DIRECT at 800-IBM-CALL Reference: AE010
The External V.34 Data/Fax Modem is a high-performance, high-function modem designed for commercial and server applications. It features data transmission speeds up to 33.6 Kbps, fax speeds up to 14.4 Kbps, full synchronous command support, 2-wire leased line support with Switched Network Backup, hardware password protection, and remote configuration.
The External V.34 Data/Fax Modem qualifies for AS/400(R) Electronic Customer Support (ECS). Refer to Software Announcement 296-306, dated September 3, 1996, for additional information on the availability of IBM fax support.
AS/400 customers subscribing to ECS from IBM and other commercial applications requiring host or server-based or server-pool-based support.
AS/400 system or systems that comply with RS-232 C/D serial interface.
Planned Availability Date
September 13, 1996
The modem is recommended for use as the AS/400 ECS modem. The modem is an optional fax modem for use with Facsimile Support for OS/400.
Refer to Software Announcement 296-306, dated September 3, 1996.
Note: An Options by IBM Hardware Maintenance Manual Supplement (S78H-6424, 78H6424) is available.
System Library Subscription Service (SLSS) is not available.
Specified Operating Environment
- Approximate height: 36 mm (1.4 in)
- Approximate width: 158 mm (6.2 in)
- Approximate depth: 229 mm (9.0 in)
- Temperature: 0(degs) to 50(degs)C (32(degs) to 120(degs)F)
- Relative humidity: 20% to 90%
For AS/400 applications, an AS/400 Communications Adapter is required. The adapter includes an Enhanced EIA 232/V.24 Communications Cable.
Hardware Requirements -- Non-IBM Systems: The External V.34 Data/Fax Modem is supported on systems that comply to the RS-232 C/D serial interface.
- Modem Modulation
- ITU-T: V.34, V.32bis, V.32, V.22bis, V.22, V.23, V.21
- Bell: 212A, 103
- Speeds: 28.8K, 26.4K, 24.0K, 21.0K, 19.2K, 16.8K 14.4K, 12.0K, 9.6K, 7.2K, 4.8K, 2.4K, 0-300 bps
- Speeds for 7852-400 only; 33.6K and 31.2K
- Error Control: V.42
- Data Compression: V.42bis or MNP 5
- Commands: AT(R) (Asynchronous) and V.25bis (Asynchronous and Synchronous)
- Fax Modulation
- ITU-T: V.17, V.29
- Speeds: 14.4K, 9.6K, 4.8K
- Format: T.4 compressed bitmap
- Handshake: T.30
- Commands: EIA TR.29 Class 2
- RS-232 C/D DB-25F connector
- Two RJ11Fs for dial-up and phone connection
- One RJ45 for two-wire leased line connection
- Send Data (SD)
- Receive Data (RD)
- Carrier Detect (CD)
- Off-Hook (OH)
- Terminal Ready (TR)
- Error Control (EC)
- Fax (FX)
- Error (ERR)
- Various speed indicators
Full- or half-duplex over dial-up or two-wire leased lines
- Software switching between asynchronous and synchronous modes
(supported on newer version of AS/400s, refer to AS/400
- Switched Network Backup, establishes connection over dial-up
(switched) line if lease line fails
- Two-level password protection regulates access to the modem
remote configuration utility through a datacomm link
- Thirty-number storage for callback security
- Flash Memory for firmware updates
- Automatic dial (N0-N9), answer, rate detection, and fallback,
plus AT, DTR, or V.25bis dialing
- Sixty-character buffer
- Toggle switch for voice/data with originate or answer, power
and modem operations, speaker volume control
- On-screen help menus
- Caller ID support
- Software switching between asynchronous and synchronous modes (supported on newer version of AS/400s, refer to AS/400 specifications)
- Transmit Level: -10 dBm for dial-up line, 0dBm for leased line
- Receive Level: -43 dBm (worst case conditions)
- Power: 0.1 A, 12 watts
Compatibility: This modem is compatible with serial ports that support the RS232 C/D interface.
Note: Some configurations may not be compatible.
Cable Orders Required: No
Installation Time: Approximately 30 minutes
Packaging: One box
- Modem unit
- AC power adapter
- RJ11 telephone cable
- Telephone outlet adapter (if required)
- Installation manual
- Technical reference manual
Security, Auditability, and Control
User management is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communications facilities.
This product is available for purchase under the terms of the IBM Customer Agreement (ICA).
Volume Orders: For information regarding volume orders, contact your IBM representative.
IBM Credit Corporation Financing: Term leases and installment payment plans are available for commercial and state and local government customers.
Warranty Period: One year
Warranty Service: IBM On-Site Exchange (IOE)
Alternative Service: None available
Maintenance Service: IOE
Attachment for Rental of IBM Machines: IOE
IBM Hourly Service Rate Classification: One
IBM Warranty Service, Maintenance Service, or IBM Hourly Service can be obtained by calling 800-IBM-SERV (426-7378). IBM Hourly Service is available at the applicable rate and terms, including element exchange price if applicable.
Mid-Range System Option: The announced product is an eligible machine for the Mid-Range System Option* of the ICA.
Eligible Discount Type Three-Year Five-Year
7852 5% 5%
Corporate Service Option: The announced product is an eligible machine for the Corporate Service Option* of the ICA.
Discount Option Three-Year Five-Year
Network 7% 7% System 5% 5%
Extended Maintenance Option: The announced product is an eligible machine under the Extended Maintenance Option of the ICA.
Central Facility Maintenance Service (CFMS) Option: The announced product is an eligible machine for CFMS Option* of the ICA.
A minimum number of six machines is required to be at the central facility before requesting maintenance service. The Additional Maintenance Charge Factor is currently 0.5 hours. The terms and conditions are stated in the Attachment for CFMS Option.
When a type of service involves the exchange of a machine or part, the replacement may not be new, but will be in good working order.
* A revised exhibit will be available at a later date.
Product Availability Status: New product available
Field Installable Features: No
Model Conversions: No
Customer Setup: Yes
Licensed Internal Code: No
Educational Allowance: A reduced charge is available to qualified education customers. The educational allowance cannot be added to any other discount or allowance.
Machine Feature Purchase Description Type-Model Number Price
External V.34 Data/Fax Modem 7852-400 8185 $525
Annual Minimum Maintenance Charges
9Hr X 5D 24Hr X 7D Standard Premium Second-Day Same-Day Response Response Product IOE IOE CFMS
7852-400 $34 $46 $32
To order, contact IBM Direct, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Authorized Business Partner.
IBM Direct, our national direct marketing organization, can also arrange to put your name on the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Direct Dept. AE010 P.O. Box 16848 Atlanta, GA 30321-0848 Reference: AE010
To identify your local IBM Authorized Business Partner or IBM representative, call 800-IBM-4YOU.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
(R) Registered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries or both. (TM) Trademark of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries or both.