IBM Storage for Red Hat OpenShift delivers enterprise data services to containersIBM United States Software Announcement 219-528
October 22, 2019
|Table of contents|
Most organizations will soon be operating in a hybrid multicloud environment. Container technology will help drive this rapid evolution from applications and data that are anchored on-premises in siloed systems into applications and data that can be moved easily when and where they are needed to gain the most insight and advantage.
IBM® Storage unifies traditional and container-ready storage, and provides cloud-native agility with the reliability, availability, and security to manage enterprise containers in production. As clients scale containerized applications beyond experimental or departmental use, the award-winning storage solutions from IBM enable mission-critical infrastructures that deliver shared-storage operational efficiency, price-performance leadership, and container data protection. Through integration with the automation capabilities of Kubernetes and IBM Cloud Paks, IBM enables IT infrastructure and operations to improve developer speed and productivity, while delivering data reduction, disaster recovery, and data availability with enterprise storage.
IBM Storage for Red Hat OpenShift is a comprehensive, container-ready solution that includes all of the elements and expertise needed for implementing the technologies that are driving business in the twenty-first century.
Back to top
- November 14, 2019: IBM Block storage CSI driver
- December 10, 2019: IBM Spectrum® Scale CSI driver
Back to top
IBM Storage delivers the flexibility to build private cloud platforms with public cloud integration, agility, and utility consumption, with leading block, file, and object storage choices supported with multiple compute platforms. These cloud-integrated and container-ready solutions address the 80% of enterprise data that reside on-premises due to unique applications, industry-specific data compliance requirements, and security and resiliency needs, as well as extend workloads such as DevOps, databases, and AI in hybrid cloud workflows. These solutions are modern, agile, and secure to the core.
IBM Storage orchestration for containers enables enterprises to implement a modern container-driven, hybrid multicloud environment that can reduce IT costs and enhance business agility, while continuing to derive value from existing systems.
Leveraging container storage interface (CSI) drivers for IBM Storage systems delivers:
- Kubernetes persistent volumes provisioning for block or file storage to be used with stateful containers for database applications such as IBM Db2®, MongoDB, and PostgreSQL
- Containerized application support for running Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 4.2 or Kubernetes clusters
- Fully automated storage provisioning with additional support of cluster orchestration systems to automatically deploy, scale, and manage containerized applications
IBM Storage orchestration for containers includes support for:
- IBM block storage CSI driver (supporting IBM Spectrum Virtualize and IBM Spectrum Accelerate product portfolios)
- IBM Spectrum Scale CSI driver (supporting IBM Spectrum Scale and IBM Elastic Storage® Server)
The IBM block storage and IBM Spectrum Scale CSI drivers are available as a free download to all IBM Storage clients on GitHub. CSI driver support is available through IBM Storage System entitlement.
- Performance: 50% more IOPs than other flash block storage and 2.5 times higher throughput for DevOps and database workloads.
- Security: Container security architecture reduces the vulnerability footprint by enabling selective storage volume mapping to containerized applications. IBM also provides encryption for data at rest and enterprise key management with support for FIPS 140-2.
- Availability: Six nines data assurance and resiliency, and 100% data availability guarantee with multisite options.
- Storage orchestration and productivity: Improved application time to market and availability by enabling and exposing dynamic storage provisioning to service classes consumed by developers and administered through centralized Red Hat OpenShift platform and packing (HELM Chart) tools to enable automated, policy-based delegation up from IT infrastructure and operations.
- Infrastructure agility: The only multicompute architecture with Red Hat OpenShift, and a Storage portfolio with block, file, and object storage, data protection, and reuse solutions for workload and infrastructure flexibility.
Back to top
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld® ID and password are required (use IBMid).
Back to top
To order, contact the IBM Digital Sales Center, IBM Business Partner, or your local IBM representative. To identify your local IBM representative, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968). For more information, contact the IBM Digital Sales Center.
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255)
Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329)
For IBM representative: email@example.com
IBM Digital Sales Offices
1177 S Belt Line Rd
Coppell, TX 75019-4642, US
The IBM Digital Sales Center, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
IBM Cloud is a trademark of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, IBM Spectrum, PartnerWorld, Db2 and IBM Elastic Storage are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or go to the IBM worldwide contacts page