IBM Monitoring V8.1 provides application-aware infrastructure monitoring to help you optimize the performance of your applicationsIBM United States Software Announcement 215-131
March 24, 2015
|Table of contents|
|At a glance|
IBM® Monitoring V8.1 is a new product in the IBM Performance Management portfolio. Key features of IBM Monitoring:
- Offers hybrid management, delivering a single integrated management view across on premises and cloud environment
- Delivers application-aware infrastructure monitoring by monitoring user response time as well as the health of application components such as the application server or runtime, databases, web servers, middleware stacks, and more, for applications covering cloud and traditional workloads
- Includes search analytics capabilities for unlimited monitoring data, plus up to 2 gigabytes of external log data per day and easily integrates with predictive analytics
- Includes a simple unified architecture that can be deployed in minutes and can help reduce total cost of ownership by up to 30%
- Enables seamless expansion of capabilities with IBM Control Desk, IBM Operations Analytics, and IBM Netcool® Operations Insight
Back to top
For ordering, contact your IBM representative or an IBM Business Partner. For more information, contact the Americas Call Centers at: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255).
Back to top
The need to monitor application performance and the health of the application components has never been more important. Slowdowns and outages impact revenue and the reputation of your business. However, identifying and resolving problems in today's complex applications, which can have many components residing on premises or in the cloud, and accessed by customers using many different types of devices, can be very difficult.
That is where IBM Monitoring V8.1 comes in, providing application-aware infrastructure monitoring, which means that it monitors user response time as well as the health of application and infrastructure components, which can potentially improve availability by 60% - 90%. IBM Monitoring can be deployed and can provide value in minutes, which can be critical when deadlines are tight to deliver a new application. Once deployed, it can help to reduce outages by 50%, or more. IBM Monitoring is also a true hybrid solution, available on premises as well as through software as a service (SaaS), so you can choose the delivery platform that best suits your needs, or mix and match if different groups have different needs and still view everything in a single integrated management console.
IBM Monitoring provides the following capabilities:
- Application response time monitoring: Traditionally, monitoring of applications has focused on gathering health metrics about the various components that make up the application. While valuable, it is often difficult or even impossible to determine how the application is performing based on that information. What you really need to know is how quickly users get a response to their requests. If it is taking too long, you need to know before users start looking elsewhere. That is why IBM Monitoring goes beyond traditional resource monitoring to include web server response time monitoring, so you can monitor the performance of your application as well as the health of the resources processing web requests.
- Breadth of coverage: IBM Monitoring provides the breadth of coverage for traditional IT and middleware resources that you would expect from the IBM Performance Management portfolio, including the Java application stack, Microsoft.NET, industry leading databases, Microsoft applications, hypervisors, and operating systems. Additionally, IBM Monitoring extends the broad coverage you are used to from the IBM Performance Management portfolio to include typical cloud workloads, such as node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP, PostGreSQL, and MongoDB, because eliminating blind spots allows you to be much more effective in identifying and quickly resolving performance and availability issues.
- Analytics: IBM Monitoring includes integrated search analytics for an unlimited amount of monitoring data plus up to 2 gigabytes of external log data per day, with the option to purchase additional gigabytes with IBM Operations Analytics - Log Analysis. Using this integration accelerates problem isolation, identification, and repair by providing insights into previously untapped and underutilized sources of data. This advanced search and text analytics technology is based on the IBM big data platform and IBM InfoSphere® BigInsights. You can search logs directly from the IBM Monitoring user interface, using configured and discovered patterns such as stack traces, class and thread IDs, and error codes to quickly identify and repair issues. IBM Monitoring also provides the ability to integrate directly into IBM Operations Analytics - Predictive Insights, which delivers advanced anomaly detection of IT metrics. When purchased separately and used in conjunction with IBM Monitoring, Operations Analytics - Predictive Insights can help to eliminate the need for traditional static thresholds and provide alerting before key IT services are impacted.
IBM Service Engage is the single place where learning, exploring, trying, and buying the IBM Performance Management portfolio begins. For more information, go to
Back to top
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
March 27, 2015
Back to top
IBM Monitoring V8.1, a new addition to the IBM Performance Management portfolio, builds on the powerful capabilities of the portfolio while providing a leap forward in time to value and cost of ownership.
- It is a true hybrid solution. IBM Monitoring delivers a single integrated management view across on premises and software as a service (SaaS) environments. This means that you can install IBM Monitoring on premises, use the SaaS version of it (which other than delivery platform is exactly the same in capability), or mix and match based on what makes sense for different application teams or lines of business within your organization and still maintain the ability to see the entire environment for those who need that level of visibility.
- It can be installed and provides value in a matter of minutes, is easy to maintain, and provides enterprise class monitoring while helping to keep your costs down.
- It does more than just monitor your operating system. With application-aware infrastructure monitoring you can see availability potentially improve by 60% to 90% since IBM Monitoring includes monitoring for user response time as well as the health of application components, such as the application server or runtime, databases, web servers, and more.
- IBM Service Engage is your single source of information about the IBM Performance Management portfolio. When using Service Engage you can explore the portfolio including running live virtual machine (VM) sandboxes and starting free trials. Purchases of Software as a Service (SaaS) offerings are also available with Service Engage.
For more information about Service Engage, go to
IBM Monitoring's broad coverage eliminates blind spots in understanding the health of your application, allowing you to be much more effective in identifying and quickly resolving performance and availability issues. It also includes integrated search analytics, which help reduce the time it takes to find the root cause of a problem by as much as 90%.
Back to top
|Program number||VRM||Program name|
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information website
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® website
Back to top
No publications are shipped with this program.
The IBM Publications Center portal is located at
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries.
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
Specified operating environment
For hardware and software requirements, refer to
- https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20Performanc e%20Management/page/System%20requirements
Refer to the Hardware requirements section.
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a readme file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
This offering is delivered through the Internet. There is no physical media.
This program, when downloaded from a website, contains the applicable IBM license agreement and License Information, if appropriate, and will be presented for acceptance at the time of installation of the program. For future reference, the license and License Information will be stored in a directory such as LICENSE.TXT.
Security, auditability, and control
IBM Monitoring V8.1 uses the security and auditability features of the host software.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
Back to top
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
These products may only be sold directly by IBM or by authorized IBM Business Partners for Software Value Plus.
For more information about IBM Software Value Plus, visit
Product group: Performance and Availability
Product category: IBM MonitoringPassport Advantage
|Part description||Part number|
|IBM Monitoring Managed Virtual Server Lic + SW S&S 12 Mo||D1FWULL|
|IBM Monitoring Managed Virtual Server Annual SW S&S Rnwl||E0LH1LL|
|IBM Monitoring Managed Virtual Server SW S&S REINSTATE 12 Mo||D1FWVLL|
|IBM Monitoring Managed Virtual Server MONTHLY LICENSE||D1G3QLL|
|IBM Monitoroing zLinux Managed Virtual Server Lic + SW S&S 12 Mo||D1FWWLL|
|IBM Monitoring zLinux Managed Virtual Server Annual SW S&S Rnwl||E0LH2LL|
|IBM Monitoring zLinux Managed Virtual Server SW S&S REINSTATE 12 Mo||D1FWXLL|
|IBM Monitoring zLinux Managed Virtual Server MONTHLY LICENSE||D1G3RLL|
|Program name||Part number or PID number||Charge metric|
|IBM Monitoring V8.1||5725-U05||Managed Virtual Server|
Managed Virtual Server
Managed Virtual Server is a unit of measure by which the program can be licensed. A server is a physical computer that is comprised of processing units, memory, and input/output capabilities and that execute requested procedures, commands, or applications for one or more users or client devices. Where racks, blade enclosures, or other similar equipment is being employed, each separable physical device (for example, a blade or a rack-mounted device) that has the required components is considered itself a separate server. A virtual server is either a virtual computer created by partitioning the resources available to a physical server or an unpartitioned physical server. Licensee must obtain Managed Virtual Server entitlements for each virtual server managed by the program.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, and the IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
This product is only available via Passport Advantage.
IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and Proof of Entitlement (PoE) govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use. Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
This software license includes Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance).
Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance
These programs are licensed under the IBM Program License Agreement (IPLA) and the associated Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance, which provide for support with ongoing access to releases and versions of the program. IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available. These programs have a one-time license charge for use of the program and an annual renewable charge for the enhanced support that includes telephone assistance (voice support for defects during normal business hours), as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect.
License Information number
The program's License Information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement website
Limited warranty applies
IBM warrants that when the program is used in the specified operating environment, it will conform to its specifications. The warranty applies only to the unmodified portion of the program. IBM does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of the program or that IBM will correct all program defects. You are responsible for the results obtained from the use of the program.
IBM provides you with access to IBM databases containing information on known program defects, defect corrections, restrictions, and bypasses at no additional charge. For further information, consult the IBM Software Support Handbook found at
Program technical support
Technical support of a program product version or release will be available for a minimum of three years from the general availability date, as long as your Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) is in effect. This technical support allows you to obtain assistance (via telephone or electronic means) from IBM for product-specific, task-oriented questions regarding the installation and operation of the program product. Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) also provides you with access to updates (modifications or fixes), releases, and versions of the program. You will be notified, via announcement letter, of discontinuance of support with 12 months' notice. If you require additional technical support from IBM, including an extension of support beyond the discontinuance date, contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner. This extension may be available for a fee.
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, you may obtain a refund of the amount you paid for it, if within 30 days of your invoice date you return the program and its PoE to the party from whom you obtained it. If you downloaded the program, you may contact the party from whom you acquired it for instructions on how to obtain the refund.
For clarification, note that (1) for programs acquired under the IBM International Passport Advantage offering, this term applies only to your first acquisition of the program and (2) for programs acquired under any of IBM's On/Off Capacity on Demand (On/Off CoD) software offerings, this term does not apply since these offerings apply to programs already acquired and in use by you.
Volume orders (IVO)
Yes. Contact your IBM representative.
Passport Advantage applies
Yes, and through the Passport Advantage website at
Software Subscription and Support applies
Yes. Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) is included with licenses purchased through Passport Advantage and Passport Advantage Express®. Product upgrades and Technical Support are provided by the Software Subscription and Support offering as described in the Agreements. Product upgrades provide the latest versions and releases to entitled software and Technical Support provides voice and electronic access to IBM support organizations, worldwide.
IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support with each program license acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available.
While your Software Subscription and Support is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short duration installation and usage (how-to) questions, and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Handbook at
For additional information about the International Passport Advantage Agreement and the IBM International Passport Advantage Express Agreement, visit the Passport Advantage website at
System i Software Maintenance applies
Variable charges apply
Educational allowance available
Back to top
|Statement of good security practices|
IT system security involves protecting systems and information through prevention, detection, and response to improper access from within and outside your enterprise. Improper access can result in information being altered, destroyed, or misappropriated or can result in misuse of your systems to attack others. Without a comprehensive approach to security, no IT system or product should be considered completely secure and no single product or security measure can be completely effective in preventing improper access. IBM systems and products are designed to be part of a comprehensive security approach, which will necessarily involve additional operational procedures, and may require other systems, products, or services to be most effective. IBM does not warrant that systems and products are immune from the malicious or illegal conduct of any party.
Back to top
For Passport Advantage information and charges, contact your IBM representative or authorized IBM Business Partner for Software Value Plus. Additional information is also available at
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice.
Financing from IBM Global Financing helps you preserve cash and credit lines, enables more technology acquisition within current budget limits, permits accelerated implementation of economically attractive new technologies, offers payment and term flexibility, and can help match project costs to projected benefits. Financing is available worldwide for credit-qualified customers.
For more financing information, visit
Back to top
To order, contact your Americas Call Centers, local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner. To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968). For more information, contact the Americas Call Centers.
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255)
Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329)
For IBM representative: firstname.lastname@example.org
For IBM Business Partner: email@example.com
- IBM Teleweb Customer Support
- ibm.com® Sales Execution Center, Americas North
- 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 3/4
- Markham, Ontario
- Canada L3R 2Z1
- Reference :YE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date. IBM Software Value Plus
These products are available under IBM Software Value Plus, either directly from IBM or through authorized Business Partners who invest in skills and high-value solutions. IBM customers may benefit from the industry-specific or horizontal solutions, skills, and expertise provided by these Business Partners.
Additions to Software Value Plus will be communicated through standard product announcements. For a current list of IBM software available under Software Value Plus, visit
BigInsights and Insights are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, Netcool, InfoSphere, Passport Advantage, System i, Express and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Oracle and Java are trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page