IBM Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3.0 improves automation capabilities for z/VM and Linux on System z environmentsIBM United States Software Announcement 208-133
June 10, 2008
|At a glance|
IBMþ Operations Manager for z/VMþ V1.3 provides:
- Improved automation capabilities with new spool monitoring functions
- Enhancements designed to increase productivity when searching for and viewing spool files
- Improved console message processing, including support for remote input, such as the syslogd() output from a Linuxþ guest, via TCP/IP
- More granular security options, such as read versus update access to a live console
- A variety of usability enhancements, including more detailed data in response to a status request and wildcard support for additional commands
For ordering, contact your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at 800-IBM-CALL (Reference: ME001).
Back to top
IBM Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 continues to provide automation capabilities for your z/VM environment, including those environments that support guest operating systems, such as Linux on System z™.
- Additional monitoring options:
- New spool support in V1.3 that allows you to more easily monitor spool space, taking actions automatically if specified conditions are met. In addition, you can use Operations Manager for z/VM to find and view spool files that meet specific criteria, based on size, creation date, and owner.
- You can use Operations Manager for z/VM to process events triggered by the VM Event System Service (*VMEVENT).
- Improved remote system support, allowing input, such as the syslogd() output from a Linux guest, to be received via TCP/IP.
- Includes a variety of usability enhancements and more granular security options.
More information about Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 can be found at
Back to top
z/VM V5.2, or later
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
June 13, 2008
Back to top
IBM Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 includes several new functions to help you increase automation and efficiency in your z/VM (or z/VM and Linux on System z) environment.
New monitoring capabilities have been added for spool space. This includes the ability to monitor:
- Thresholds for the amount of spool data. For example, you can automatically take an action if the spool area becomes greater than 80% full.
- Ranges of spool area usage. For example, you can trigger an action if the spool area is between 5% and 15% full.
- The rate of increase in spool area usage. For example, you can automatically take an action if spool usage increases more than 30% within a five minute window.
In addition to monitoring the spool space, Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 lets authorized users view, search, and process a list of spool files. Any combination of the following criteria can be specified when searching for spool files on the system:
- Date created
From the result list, you can view the contents of any closed non-system file. Authorized users can also:
- Purge a file
- Transfer a file
- Modify a file's external attributes
- Modify the user hold status of a file
Console data can be sent via TCP/IP to Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 for processing. Operations Manager for z/VM will process the data as if it had arrived via the traditional SECUSER or OBSERVER interface, triggering rules you've defined and taking the corresponding actions. This allows you to:
- Automatically process console output from other systems, including, for example, the syslogd() output from a Linux guest
- Test your rules and actions by creating console output that contains the required data and sending it to Operations Manager for z/VM
- View the content of these remote consoles using Operations Manager for z/VM interfaces, such as VIEWCON
Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 adds support for the VM Event System Service (*VMEVENT) so you can consolidate your z/VM automation in one place. Notification of events, such as the LOGOFF timeout started for a user ID, will be sent to Operations Manager where you can define the appropriate action to be taken.
Operations Manager V1.3 offers new options for more granular security:
- With Operations Manager V1.2, users were authorized to a group of commands, such as all commands requiring configuration authority. In Operations Manager V1.3, you can use an External Security Manager, such as RACFþ Security Server feature for z/VM, to specify which Operations Manager commands a user can issue. This allows you to authorize a user to define rules, but not actions, for example.
- A new option has been added to action definitions, allowing you to execute the action under an alternate user's authority. The alternate user's authority is limited to those allowed using the CP DIAGNOSE code x'D4'. Operations Manager provides options for both the ALTUSER and SECLABEL parameters.
- Using an External Security Manager, such as RACF Security Server feature for z/VM, you can specify the level of access a user has to a specific console. Users with read access can only view the console. Users with update access can view the console and issue commands on the VIEWCON command line that will be sent to the virtual machine being monitored.
- When users issue commands to monitored virtual machines from VIEWCON, Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 will log the user ID that issued each command.
Operations Manager V1.3 provides a new option that allows you to specify a delay between related actions.
A variety of usability enhancements are included in Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3:
- Additional details are provided in response to the STATUS command. For example, the response will now include which rules, monitors, and schedules are currently suspended versus resumed.
- You can view multiple live consoles simultaneously by specifying wildcard patterns on the VIEWCON command. A previously defined view (using DEFVIEW) is not required. DEFVIEW is still recommended for frequently requested groups of consoles.
- Wildcard support has been added to the command that authorizes users to various functions within Operations Manager.
- The size defined for a data space can be specified in megabytes in addition to bytes.
- When viewing a live console, you can:
- Retrieve several previous commands
- Limit the view to the last n lines of the console
- When dynamically loading a new configuration file, you can clear all available resource types at once.
- Commands specified in action definitions no longer need the EXEC or CP prefix. Operations Manager for z/VM will honor your CMS settings for IMPEX and IMPCP.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 is capable as of June 13, 2008, when used in accordance with IBM's associated documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it. A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) can be requested via IBM's Web site at
Engine-based Value Unit pricing
Engine-based Value Unit pricing for Operations Manager for z/VM is designed to provide a decreasing price curve as hardware capacities and workload grow, which may help improve price/performance.
There may also be a price benefit when you grow your capacity. Additional capacity is not priced starting at the base with a higher price per unit. Instead, additional capacity is priced starting at the capacity (engines) on which Operations Manager has already been installed.
Note: Value Units of a given product cannot be exchanged, interchanged, or aggregated with Value Units of another product.
A no-charge Subscription and Support registration record will be established for each designated machine where Operations Manager for z/VM is running. These no-charge Subscription and Support registration records will be linked to the billable Subscription and Support, and all billable Subscription and Support within the scope of the engine-based Value Units aggregation will be linked together.
Subscription and Support is an annual charge and should be kept at an annual term.
Product identification number
Subscription and Program PID number Support PID number 5697-J10 5697-J15
Back to top
Program Program number VRM name 5697-J10 V1.3 Operations Manager for z/VM
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorldþ ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Back to top
Other than the Program Directory, no hardcopy publications are shipped with this program.
The following publications can be downloaded from the IBM Publications Center at planned availability:
Title Order number Installation and Administration Guide SC18-9347 Program Directory GI10-8664
The IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are via credit card (in the U.S.) or customer number for 20 countries. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries, free of charge.
Displayable softcopy publications: Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 manuals are offered in displayable softcopy form as PDF files. The displayable manuals are available on the product Web site
and via the IBM Publications Center
Back to top
Specified operating environment
Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 will operate on any hardware that supports the prerequisite software.
All prerequisites and corequisites for these products apply.
The products listed here are supported only while service is available for those products.
Operations Manager for z/VM V1.3 requires:
- z/VM V5.2 (5741-A05), or later
- An External Security Manager, such as the RACF Security Server feature for z/VM, for:
- Command level authorization
- Read versus update access to consoles using VIEWCON
- Read versus update access to spool files using VIEWSPL
- z/VM V5.3 (5741-A05) to use the *VMEVENT function
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a README file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
The following products or services could be purchased for use with this product:
- Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM (5697-J06) can be licensed and used in conjunction with Operations Manager for z/VM to provide comprehensive backup and restore capabilities for z/VM systems, including guests such as Linux on System z. For more information about Backup and Restore Manager, refer to the following announcements:
- Tape Manager for z/VM (5697-J08) can be licensed and used in conjunction with Operations Manager for z/VM to provide comprehensive tape management facilities for z/VM systems. This includes management of physical tapes and tape devices. For more information about Tape Manager, refer to the following announcements:
- Archive Manager for z/VM (5697-J05) can be licensed and used in conjunction with Operations Manager for z/VM to provide users the ability to archive CMS and non-CMS data. For more information about Archive Manager, refer to Software Announcement 205-196, dated August 23, 2005
The following functions are not upwardly compatible when moving from Operations Manager for z/VM V1.2 to V1.3:
- The DEFTIMR and DELTIMR configuration statements are no longer available. They can be replaced with DEFSCHD and DELSCHD.
- The MONITOR parameter on the STATUS, CONFIG, SUSPEND, and RESUME commands has been replaced by the MACHINE parameter, to distinguish between monitors for virtual machines, spool space, and *VMEVENT.
- The format of accounting and monitoring collection records has changed. Details are provided in the product publications.
All other information in configuration files created with V1.2 will continue to work with V1.3.
Operations Manager V1.3 is delivered on one VMSES/E installable tape. A Program Directory and one copy of the License Information document is also included in the package. All other publications are provided in softcopy format on the product Web site
and via the IBM Publications Center
Security, auditability, and control
Operations Manager for z/VM uses the security and auditability features of the host hardware and software. The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
Program name PID number Charge metric Operations Manager 5697-J10 Engine-based Value Units
The programs in this announcement all have Value Unit-Based pricing.
Program number Program name Value Unit exhibit Operations Manager 5697-J10 VUE021
For each System z IPLA program with Value Unit pricing, the quantity of that program needed to satisfy applicable IBM terms and conditions is referred to as the required license capacity. Your required license capacity is based upon the following factors:
- The System z IPLA program you select
- The applicable Value Unit Exhibit
- The applicable terms
- Whether your current mainframes are full capacity or sub-capacity
Value Unit exhibit VUE021
Engine-based Value Units for a specified number of engines are determined by the following table:
Engines Engines Value Units Level minimum maximum per engine Base 1 3 10 Tier A 4 6 9 Tier B 7 9 8 Tier C 10 12 7 Tier D 13 16 6 Tier E 17 20 5 Tier F 21 25 4 Tier G 26 + 3
Order z/VM SDO and z/VSE™ SIPO through the Internet
ShopzSeries provides an easy way to plan and order System z software upgrades. This now includes z/VM and z/VSE. Using ShopzSeries, you can quickly generate orders for z/VM SDOs and z/VSE SIPOs. Additionally, ShopzSeries will ensure your order is technically correct (that is, ensures any corequisite or prerequisite or incompatibility conditions are resolved to ensure timely order placement and processing). ShopzSeries is available in the United States and several countries in Europe. In countries where ShopzSeries is not available yet, contact your IBM representative (or IBM Business Partner) to handle your order via the traditional IBM ordering process. For more details and availability, visit the ShopzSeries Web site at
To order, specify the program product number and the appropriate license or charge option. Also, specify the desired distribution medium. To suppress shipment of media, select the license-only option in CFSW.
Program name: Operations Manager for z/VM Program PID: 5697-J10 Entitlement License option/ identifier Description Pricing metric S0120Z3 Operations Manager Basic OTC, per Value Unit Orderable supply ID Language Distribution medium S0120XV English 3480 or 3590 Tape
Subscription and Support PID: 5697-J15 Entitlement License option/ identifier Description Pricing metric - S0120Z5 Operations Manager S&S Basic ASC, per Value Unit SW S&S No charge, decline SW S&S No charge, SW S&S registration per Engine Orderable supply ID Language Distribution medium S0120Z0 English Hardcopy pub
Operations Manager for z/VM is eligible for On/Off CoD with a temporary use charge calculated based on processor per-day usage.
Program name Operations Manager for z/VM Program PID 5697-J10 Entitlement License option/ identifier Description Pricing metric S0120Z3 Operations Manager Basic OTC, Per Processor-day TUC
End of table for Caribbean North countries.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantageþ Agreement, and the IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and Proof of Entitlement (PoE) govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use.
Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance
The following agreement applies for maintenance and does not require customer signatures:
- IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance (Z125-6011)
These programs are licensed under the IBM Program License Agreement (IPLA) and the associated Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance, which provide for support with ongoing access to releases and versions of the program. These programs have a one-time license charge for use of the program and an annual renewable charge for the enhanced support that includes telephone assistance (voice support for defects during normal business hours), as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect.
License Information form number
The program's License Information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Limited warranty applies
IBM warrants that when the program is used in the specified operating environment, it will conform to its specifications. The warranty applies only to the unmodified portion of the program. IBM does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of the program or that IBM will correct all program defects. You are responsible for the results obtained from the use of the program.
IBM provides you with access to IBM databases containing information on known program defects, defect corrections, restrictions, and bypasses at no additional charge. For further information, consult the IBM Software Support Handbook found at
IBM will maintain this information for at least one year after the original licensee acquires the program (warranty period).
Enhanced support, called Subscription and Support, includes telephone assistance, as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect. You will be notified of discontinuance of support with 12 months' notice.
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, you may obtain a refund of the amount you paid for it, if within 30 days of your invoice date you return the program and its PoE to the party from whom you obtained it. If you downloaded the program, you may contact the party from whom you acquired it for instructions on how to obtain the refund.
For clarification, note that for programs acquired under any of IBM's On/Off Capacity on Demand (On/Off CoD) software offerings, this term does not apply since these offerings apply to programs already acquired and in use by you.
Authorization for use on home/portable computer
You may not copy and use this program on another computer without paying additional license fees.
Volume orders (IVO)
IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement
Passport Advantage applies
- Your entitlement is for only the quantity of engine-based Value Units licensed. These engine-based Value Units can be for either standard or IFL engines.
- When ordering Operations Manager to operate on standard engines (CPs) for a single server within the enterprise, you must specify Value Units equal to the Value Units to cover the number of standard engines (CPs) on your System z 990, 900, 890, 800, System z9þ, System z10, or S/390þ server.
- When ordering Operations Manager to operate on IFL engines for a single server within the enterprise, you must specify Value Units equal to the Value Units to cover the number of IFL engines on your System 990, 900, 890, 800, System z9, System z10, or S/390 server.
- When ordering Operations Manager to operate on standard engines (CPs) and IFL engines for a single server within the enterprise, you must specify Value Units equal to the Value Units to cover the total number of engines (standard plus IFL) on your System z 990, 900, 890, 800, System z9, System z10, or S/390 server.
Software Maintenance applies
No. For operating system software, the revised IBM Operational Support Services - SoftwareXcel offering will provide support for those operating systems and associated products that are not available with the newly announced Software Maintenance offering.
This will ensure total support coverage for your enterprise needs, including IBM and selected non-IBM products. For complete lists of products supported under both the current and revised offering, visit
IBM Operational Support Services - SoftwareXcel
System i Software Maintenance applies
Variable charges apply
Educational allowance available
Yes. A 15% education allowance applies to qualified education institution customers.
To be eligible for On/Off CoD pricing, you must be enabled for temporary capacity on the corresponding hardware, and the required contract, Attachment for Customer Initiated Upgrade and IBM eServer™ On/Off Capacity on Demand - Software (Z125-6611) must be signed prior to use.
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to help you achieve higher system availability. Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that offers an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available for IBM servers. These services are designed to provide the opportunity for greater system availability with faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. Electronic Services comprises two separate, but complementary, elements: Electronic Services news page and Electronic Services Agent.
The Electronic Services news page is a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The Electronic Service Agent™ is no-additional-charge software that resides on your server. It monitors events and transmits system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, client-defined timetable. The Electronic Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to deliver proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent is made available to IBM service support representatives when they help answer your questions or diagnose problems. Installation and use of IBM Electronic Service Agent for problem reporting enables IBM to provide better support and service for your IBM server.
To learn how Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
Information on charges is available at
Choose the option entitled Purchase/upgrade tools.
Program name: Operations Manager for z/VM Program PID: 5697-J10 Entitlement License option/ identifier Description Pricing metric S0120Z3 Operations Manager Basic OTC per Value Unit S0120Z3 Operations Manager Basic OTC, Per Processor-day TUC Subscription and Support PID: 5697-J15 Entitlement License option/ identifier Description Pricing metric S0120Z5 Operations Manager Basic ASC, per Value Unit SW S&S No charge, decline SW S&S No charge, SW S&S registration per Engine
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice.
For more financing information, visit
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
Identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: email@example.com Mail: IBM Teleweb Customer Support ibm.comþ Sales Execution Center, Americas North 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 3/4 Markham, Ontario Canada L3R 2Z1
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
System z, z/VSE, eServer and Electronic Service Agent are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, z/VM, RACF, PartnerWorld, Passport Advantage, System z9, S/390 and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page
Back to top