IBM Data Science Experience Local V1.1 turns data into business insightsIBM Asia Pacific Software Announcement AP17-0447
September 12, 2017
|Table of contents|
|At a glance|
IBM® Data Science Experience Local V1.1 provides end-to-end management of the machine learning workflow through a suite of tools and capabilities that enables data scientists to accelerate their productivity and keeps models deployed across the enterprise current. Data Science Experience Local is available on premises and offers the following benefits:
- Integrates the most popular open source data science tools (for example, Jupyter Notebooks, Spark, RStudio, and more) in a single location and enables access to common data and framework, eliminating the problem of siloed tools.
- Scales data scientist productivity through collaboration, enabling data scientists to tap into the expertise of their peers and to collaborate over specific multiple projects.
- Offers optimization capabilities by embedding optimization engines such as IBM CPaLEX and IBM CP Optimizer with Python API as a modeling interface. For solving, a model limitation is applied for 1,000 variables and 1,000 constraints of model size, but an incremental purchase of unlimited solving engines removes limitations.
- Allows data scientists to develop models with a wide range of algorithms that can be trained and improved with machine learning services. Models can be rapidly deployed to production and continuously monitored by data scientists in a single model management dashboard.
Back to top
Interest in and adoption of data science and machine learning is booming with a profusion of new tools, new algorithms, new libraries, and new data sets such as Twitter and more. Data-driven companies such as Uber and Airbnb have shown the rest of the world the impact world-class data science can have on business results.
The challenge companies have to extract business insights from their data is exacerbated by a continued shortage of skilled data scientists. That skills limitation, coupled with the fact that many existing tools are siloed, requiring different skill sets, has made it increasingly difficult for companies to derive valuable insights that could drive decision-making and business results.
Data Science Experience Local is designed by data scientists to increase their productivity. It solves many of the current challenges, enabling companies to quickly ramp up the impact of data science to get more out of their data from existing resources. Cross-functional teams can now collaborate on the same machine learning project, and the resulting models can be easily deployed, evaluated, and monitored over time.
Data Science Experience Local enables companies to drive business results with insights from their data, while keeping the data secure. Data Science Experience Local offers the following key capabilities:
- Provide a dashboard for administrators to monitor services. Administrators do not need to be familiar with Kubernetes and Docker technologies because the dashboard provides an overall view of cluster and service health and hides the complexities of the underlying deployments. Administrators can easily view resource consumption and the health and performance of each service. Administrators can also run utilities to automatically troubleshoot the cluster and collect logs. The dashboard features include:
- View of global resource consumption of CPU, memory, and storage
- Ability to drill down to individual services
- Ability to view currently running services and historical consumption statistics
- View of current and past alerts and access to service logs
- Provide a convenient user management system to securely manage user access. Administrators can integrate existing LDAP systems or use built-in authentication methods.
- Provide high availability, load balancing, and fail-over for added security and stability.
- Gain access to ready-to-use, preintegrated, and managed popular open source tools such as Jupyter Notebooks, RStudio, and Spark in a single location. Data scientists no longer have to expend valuable resources to manage the many versions of open source tools.
- Provide access to common data through shared object storage.
- Collaborate on shared workspaces (projects), enabling new data scientists to improve their data science skills and their knowledge of proprietary company data by sharing with and learning from more experienced data scientists.
- Offer an environment where data scientists can improve their skills by tapping into content such as reference notebooks, tutorials, sample data, and more.
- Provide optimization capabilities by integrating CPLEX® and CP Optimization engines to solve mathematical programming, constraint programming, and constraint-based scheduling programs. For example, users are able to formulate their optimization models in Python and solve those Python models with either of the two engines. For solving, a model limitation is applied for 1,000 variables and 1,000 constraints of model size, but an incremental purchase of unlimited solving engines removes limitations.
- Provide the ability to connect to existing remote Spark through Livy REST APIs.
- Provide complete end-to-end management of the machine learning workflow. From model creation and training to deployment and continuous model performance monitoring, DSX Local provides an integrated environment that enables rapid model deployment for a fast path to insights-driven decision-making.
With Data Science Experience Local, companies can accelerate the expertise and productivity of their data science teams, shortening their transition to data-driven enterprises.
Back to top
Data Science Experience Local can be deployed in three or nine physical or virtual server configurations on a variety of Linux operating systems. For details, see the Software requirements and Hardware requirements sections.
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
September 12, 2017
Back to top
|Accessibility by people with disabilities|
A US Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT), containing details about accessibility compliance, can be found on the Product accessibility information website.
Back to top
For more information about Data Science Experience Local, see Software Announcement AP17-0007, dated April 18, 2017.
Back to top
|Program number||VRM||Program name|
|5737-D37||1.1.0||IBM Data Science Experience Local|
Back to top
Documentation and installation instructions can be found on the Get started with IBM Data Science Experience website.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
Data Science Experience Local can be deployed in three or nine physical or virtual server configurations on a variety of Linux operating systems.
The hardware requirements can be found on the Detailed System Requirements website.
Data Science Experience Local runs on a variety of Linux operating systems and supports multiple browsers.
The software requirements can be found on the Detailed System Requirements website.
Additional information can be found on the License Information documents web page on the IBM Software License Agreement website.
IBM Electronic Support
The IBM Support Portal is your gateway to technical support. This includes IBM Electronic Support tools and resources, for software and hardware, to help save time and simplify support. The Electronic Support tools can help you find answers to questions, download fixes, troubleshoot, automate data collection, submit and track problems through the Service Request online tool, and build skills. All these tools are made available through your IBM support agreement. Read about the Electronic Support portfolio of tools on the IBM Electronic Support website.
This offering is delivered through the internet. There is no physical media.
This program, when downloaded from a website, contains the applicable IBM license agreement and License Information, if appropriate, which will be presented for acceptance at the time of installation of the program. For future reference, the license and License Information will be stored in a directory such as LICENSE.TXT.
Security, auditability, and control
This offering uses the security and auditability features of the host hardware or software.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
Back to top
This product is only available through Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
These products may only be sold directly by IBM or by authorized IBM Business Partners for Channel Value Rewards.
More information can be found on the IBM Channel Value Rewards website.
To locate IBM Business Partners for Channel Value Rewards in your geography for a specific Channel Value Rewards portfolio, go to the Find a Business Partner page.
- Product group: Data Science Experience
- Product: IBM Data Science Experience Local (5737-D37)
- Product category: Data Science Experience
The ordering information remains unchanged from the previous release. See the ordering information in Software Announcement AP17-0007, dated April 18, 2017.
Order the part numbers that follow when the product is used for either the development of code that will be deployed on IBM Z servers or when the product will be communicating or transferring data between a distributed server and an IBM Z server. Otherwise, order from the other set of part numbers in this announcement. This set of part numbers provides the identical supply and authorization as the other set in this announcement.
|Program name/Description||Part number|
|IBM Data Science Experience Local Enterprise Edition for IBM Z Authorized User License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months||D1VDELL|
|IBM Data Science Experience Local Enterprise Edition for IBM Z Authorized User Monthly License||D1VDGLL|
|IBM Data Science Experience Local Enterprise Edition for IBM Z Authorized User Annual SW Subscription & Support Renewal 12 Months||E0NXULL|
|IBM Data Science Experience Local Enterprise Edition for IBM Z Authorized User SW Subscription & Support Reinstatement 12 Months||D1VDFLL|
|Program name||Part number or PID number||Charge metric|
|IBM Data Science Experience Local||5737-D37||Authorized User|
Authorized User is a unit of measure by which the program can be licensed. An Authorized User is a unique person who is given access to the program. The program may be installed on any number of computers or servers and each Authorized User may have simultaneous access to any number of instances of the program at one time. Licensee must obtain separate, dedicated entitlements for each Authorized User given access to the program in any manner directly or indirectly (for example, through a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means. An entitlement for an Authorized User is unique to that Authorized User and may not be shared, nor may it be reassigned other than for the permanent transfer of the Authorized User entitlement to another person.
Note: Some programs may be licensed where devices are considered users. In that case the following applies. Any computing device that requests the execution of or receives for execution a set of commands, procedures, or applications from the program or that is otherwise managed by the program is considered a separate user of the program and requires an entitlement as if that device were a person.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The terms and conditions for Data Science Experience Local, as previously announced in Software Announcement AP17-0007, dated April 18, 2017, are unchanged.
Back to top
|Statement of good security practices|
IT system security involves protecting systems and information through intrusion prevention, detection, and response to improper access from within and outside your enterprise. Improper access can result in information being altered, destroyed, or misappropriated or can result in misuse of your systems to attack others. Without a comprehensive approach to security, no IT system or product should be considered completely secure and no single product or security measure can be completely effective in preventing improper access. IBM systems and products are designed to be part of a regulatory compliant, comprehensive security approach, which will necessarily involve additional operational procedures, and may require other systems, products, or services to be most effective.
Important: IBM does not warrant that any systems, products, or services are immune from, or will make your enterprise immune from, the malicious or illegal conduct of any party.
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
Electronic Service Agent and the IBM Electronic Support web portal are dedicated to providing fast, exceptional support to organizations that have IBM Systems. The IBM Electronic Service Agent tool is a no-additional-charge tool that proactively monitors and reports hardware events, such as system errors, performance issues, and inventory. The Electronic Service Agent tool can help you stay focused on your company's strategic business initiatives, save time, and spend less effort managing day-to-day IT maintenance issues. Servers enabled with this tool can be monitored remotely around the clock by IBM Support, all at no additional cost to you.
Now integrated into the base operating system of AIX® V5.3, AIX V6.1, and AIX V7.1, Electronic Service Agent is designed to automatically and electronically report system failures and utilization issues to IBM, which can result in faster problem resolution and increased availability. System configuration and inventory information collected by the Electronic Service Agent tool also can be viewed on the secure Electronic Support web portal, and used to improve problem determination and resolution by you and the IBM support team. To access the tool main menu, simply type smitty esa_main, and select Configure Electronic Service Agent. In addition, ESA now includes a powerful web user interface, giving the administrator easy access to status, tool settings, problem information, and filters. For more information and documentation on how to configure and use Electronic Service Agent, go to the IBM Electronic Support website.
The IBM Electronic Support portal is a single internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used to access IBM internet services and support. This portal enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems. The My Systems and Premium Search functions make it even easier for organizations that are Electronic Service Agent tool-enabled to track system inventory and find pertinent fixes.
Increased uptime: The Electronic Service Agent tool is designed to enhance the Warranty or Maintenance Agreement by providing faster hardware error reporting and uploading system information to IBM Support. This can translate to less wasted time monitoring the symptoms, diagnosing the error, and manually calling IBM Support to open a problem record. Its 24 x 7 monitoring and reporting mean human intervention is not required to report errors.
Security: The Electronic Service Agent tool is designed to be secure in monitoring, reporting, and storing the data at IBM. The Electronic Service Agent tool is designed to securely transmit either through the internet (HTTPS or VPN) or modem to provide organizations a single point of exit from their site. Communication is one way. Activating Electronic Service Agent does not enable IBM to call into an organization's system.
For additional information, go to the IBM Electronic Service Agent website.
More accurate reporting: Because system information and error logs are automatically uploaded to the IBM Support Center in conjunction with the service request, you are not required to find and send system information, decreasing the risk of misreported or misdiagnosed errors. Once inside IBM, problem error data is run through a data knowledge management system and knowledge articles are appended to the problem record.
Customized support: Using the IBMid entered during activation, you can view system and support information in the My Systems and Premium Search sections of the IBM Electronic Support page.
My Systems provides valuable reports of installed hardware and software using information collected from the systems by Electronic Service Agent. Reports are available for any system associated with your IBMid. Premium Search combines the function of search and the value of Electronic Service Agent information, providing advanced search of the technical support knowledgebase. Using Premium Search and the Electronic Service Agent information that has been collected from your system, you are able to see search results that apply specifically to your systems.
For more information on how to utilize the power of IBM Electronic Services, contact your IBM Systems Services Representative, or go to the IBM Electronic Support website.
Back to top
The prices are unchanged by this announcement.
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or go to the IBM Global Financing website for more information.
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice.
Financing from IBM Global Financing helps you preserve cash and credit lines, enables more technology acquisition within current budget limits, can help accelerate implementation of economically attractive new technologies, offers payment and term flexibility, and can help match project costs to projected benefits. Financing is available worldwide for credit-qualified customers.
Back to top
|India/South Asia **||Yes|
|Macao SAR of the PRC||Yes|
|People's Republic of China||Yes|
* Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam
** Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka
Electronic Service Agent is a trademark of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, CPLEX, Passport Advantage and AIX are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page