IBM BladeCenter HS21 blade servers offer performance efficiency with powerful, quad-core processor performanceAsia Pacific Hardware Announcement AG08-0350
June 3, 2008
|At a glance|
BladeCenter HS21 blade servers revolutionize the economics of application server deployment with power, scalability, control, and serviceability.
These new server models include:
- Single-wide (30 mm), high-performance blade servers
- Intel® high-performance, low-voltage, quad-core processors with 3 MB L2 cache per core (12 MB per processor)
- Up to two quad-core Xeon processors with 1066 MHz1 front-side bus (FSB)
- Standard models with high-speed 4 GB (2 x 2 GB DIMMs) PC2-5300 667 MHz high-performance double data rate (DDR2) ECC memory; maximum system memory 16 GB2 expandable to 32 GB using the BladeCenter Memory and I/O Expansion Blade option
- Dual Broadcom 5708S Gigabit Ethernet connections with failover support; additional Dual Gigabit Ethernet connections with Broadcom 5714s, using the BladeCenter Memory and I/O Expansion Blade option
- Support for Ethernet or Fibre Channel expansion cards
- Integrated systems management processor
- Support for up to two non-hot-swap SAS SFF HDDs with RAID 0 and 1
- Support for BladeCenter Storage and I/O Expansion Blade with three additional hot-swap SAS SFF HDDs and optional support for RAID 0, 1, or 5
Back to top
BladeCenter® HS21 low-voltage blade servers, coupled with the BladeCenter chassis, deliver advanced application serving with performance, density, and scalability ideal for enterprise environments.
Features, functions, support, and services at your command include:
- Blade servers supported in the BladeCenter chassis
- LV models that offer lower power consumption
- Powerful, high-performance, low-voltage, quad-core processors
- Shared 3 MB L2 cache per core (12 MB per quad-core processor)
- 1066 MHz front-side bus (FSB)
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet connections
- Up to 32 GB of high-speed memory with ECC (four DIMM slots x 4 GB/DIMM on 30-mm blade and eight DIMM slots x 4 GB/DIMM with Memory and I/O Expansion Blade)
- Up to two non-hot-swap SAS SFF HDDs (up to 146 GB each) with RAID 0 and 1 in the single-wide configurations, or up to two solid state SATA drives (15.8 or 31.4 GB each)
- Optional BladeCenter Storage and I/O Expansion Blade with support for up to three additional hot-swap SAS SFF HDDs with RAID 0 and 1, and optional RAID 5, as well as two additional I/O expansion slots
- Advanced high-availability and systems-management features
Service and support capabilities for On Demand Business:
- IBM Director and Remote Deployment Manager
- ServerProven® compatibility testing and Web support
- Warranty: Three years, customer replaceable unit (CRU) and on-site service3, limited warranty4; optional warranty service upgrades available
- Optional BladeCenter Memory and I/O Expansion Blade that allows expansion up to 32 GB of high-speed memory with ECC (eight DIMM slots x 4 GB/DIMM), one additional I/O expansion slot, and two additional Dual Gigabit Ethernet connections (total of four)
These features make BladeCenter HS21 models an attractive, economical approach to the deployment of
large numbers of powerful servers that effectively use space and power resources.
Back to top
- BladeCenter chassis
- Monitor, keyboard, and mouse for setup
- Network switch module
- Boot device, such as on-board HDD or network storage device
- Management module with latest-level firmware
- Rack with appropriate PDUs and main power distribution
|Planned availability date|
July 11, 2008, all HS21 BladeCenter models and options
Back to top
Country/Region Announced AP IOT ASEAN* Yes India/South Asia** Yes Australia Yes People's Republic of China Yes Hong Kong S.A.R of the PRC Yes Macao S.A.R of the PRC Yes Taiwan Yes Korea Yes New Zealand Yes Japan IOT Japan Yes * Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Cambodia, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Viet Nam **Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Nepal, Afghanistan
Back to top
IBM processor upgrades
Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor L5408 44T1899 (2.13GHz 1066MHz 12MB L2 Cache 40w) Upgrade Processor Option
High-performance, blade-server subsystems: The BladeCenter HS21 low-voltage blade servers are high-throughput, two-way, SMP-capable blade servers, and are highly scalable when you add memory.
One processor is standard on the blade server. High-speed PC2-5300 667 MHz high-performance double data rate (DDR2) ECC memory is synchronized to the processor-to-memory subsystem performance with current processors.
The BladeCenter HS21 uses the Intel E7520 system chipset that includes:
- Memory and I/O Controller (MCH) (North Bridge)
- Intel PXH
- ESB2 (South Bridge)
The MCH includes:
- Integrated high-performance main memory subsystem
- Integrated PCI Express interface
- High throughput between processors and main memory
The PXH includes:
- Ability to bridge a PCI Express bus to a PCI-X bus; the PXH connects to the MCH via a PCI Express (x4) bus
- Capacity to serve as a bridge and convert transactions on the PCI Express bus to transactions on the PCI-X bus
The ESB2 includes:
- USB interface
- Local on-blade service processor interface
- PCI-X bus interface to the LSI 1064 SAS controller and PCI bus interface to the ATI ES1000 (RN50) video controller
- Systems-management bus, supporting Philips I2C two-wire protocol interface
- Low-power controller interface for POST/BIOS EEPROM
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet connections
- One external PCI-X bus segment for an I/O expansion card connector
Standard BladeCenter HS21 configuration
CPU information by model Intel CPU CPU CPU FSB CPU Model name speed power speed cache 8853GNx L5408 2.13 GHz 40W 1066MHz 12MB Model configurations Intel CPU Standard DIMM Blade Model name CPUs memory slots HDDs width 8853GNx L5408 1 2x 2 GB 4 Open 30mm
- The BladeCenter HS21 system board contains four DIMM connectors (30-mm blade), optionally upgradeable to eight DIMM connectors using the BladeCenter Memory and I/O Expansion Blade (60-mm configuration).
Each DIMM connector supports 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB DIMM options:
- Memory is two-way interleaved (must be installed in matched pairs).
- Memory sizes can be mixed in matched pairs.
- Chipkill function is supported.
- One or two non-hot-swap SAS HDDs (up to 146 GB each) are supported in the base blade;
- Two full-duplex, dual Gigabit Ethernet PCI connections can use the IBM BladeCenter Memory and I/O Expansion Blade (60-mm configuration) to achieve four high-speed I/O slots.
BladeCenter HS21 blade servers are designed for high throughput from processor to memory, and to bus I/O.
These features, combined with SMP capability and blade-thin density, make it an excellent choice for space- and power-constrained environments used for:
- Web caching
- Terminal serving
- Dynamic Web serving
- Active directory services
- Scientific and technical computing
- Linux clustering
High-availability and serviceability features
- Hot-swap blades enable easy access to each blade server.
- The management module interfaces with each blade server for single systems management control.
The BladeCenter HS21 blade servers deliver reliability and serviceability.
- High-performance ECC memory, combined with an integrated ECC memory controller, to help correct soft and hard single-bit memory errors, while reducing disruption of service to LAN clients.
- Chipkill memory correction for up to four bits per DIMM to help keep your blade server up and running.
- Memory hardware scrubbing, designed to correct many soft memory errors automatically without software intervention.
- ECC L2 cache processors to help improve data reliability and reduce downtime.
CPU failure recovery in Symmetric Multi-Processing (SMP) configurations:
- Forces failed processor offline
- Automatically reboots server
- Generates alerts
- Continues operations with the working processor
- PFA on SAS HDD options, memory, and processors to help alert the system administrator of an imminent component failure.
Support for dual Gigabit Ethernet connections:
- Failover, adapter fault tolerance
- PXE 2.0 Boot Agent
- Wake on LAN®
- Load balancing or teaming
- Integrated management processor that supports diagnostic, reset, POST, and auto-recovery functions, and monitors temperature and voltage. Alerts are generated when certain thresholds are exceeded (refer to the Limitations section for restrictions).
BladeCenter storage and I/O expansion option
The BSE-3 blade (SIO) is an option attaching via the PCI Express (PCI-E) bus to selected BladeCenter processor blades, including the HS21. When installed, this option will add one blade slot width to the width of the host processor blade it is attached to. The SIO option consists of a RAID-based storage subsystem, two I/O expansion slots for BladeCenter PCI-X adapter options, and a PCI-E unique connector to enable the installation of a High-Speed I/O Expansion Card adapter or a PCI Expansion Unit option (25K8373).
The SIO storage subsystem is a self-contained intelligent RAID solution, consisting of an I/O Processor (IOP), a cache memory, or an optional battery-backed data cache, and support for up to three SFF hot-swap Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) hard drives. The RAID subsystem is capable of annexing the SAS drives on the host blade (up to two), resulting in all local system drives (up to five) controlled by a single disk controller.
To accommodate this feature, the BladeCenter PCI-E option interface connector is defined with two SAS links, which will be connected to the secondary ports of the SAS drives on the processor blade. Both form factors of BladeCenter PCI-X adapter options (large and small) will be supported; however, the PCI-E connector on the topside of the SIO Blade will allow another BladeCenter PCI-E option to be attached, such as a high-speed I/O expansion card or a PCI Expansion Unit (PEU option part number is 25K8373). Either two PCI-X adapter options (in any combination of small or large form factor) or one PCI-X adapter (large or small) and one HSDC can be supported. However, if the SIO blade is attached to a BladeCenter Memory and I/O Expansion Blade, then only an HSDC is supported on the SIO.
Features of the BSE-3 blade include:
RAID support: The SIO blade provides RAID levels 0 and 1, along with all supported RAID 0 and 1 sublevels for the drives in the SIO. Optional support (25R8064), which replaces the base RAID support, will add battery-backed data cache and support for RAID 5 and all supported RAID 5 sublevels.
Hard drives: The BSE-3 blade delivers three bays for hot-swap, 2.5-inch SFF SAS hard drives (39R7388, 39R7389, and 43X0832).
- The SAS interface will run at up to 3.0 Gbps, full duplex.
- Drives are mounted on hot-swap trays, and will fit side-by-side across the front of the option blade;
- All three drive bays must be populated with either a drive or a blank tray insert.
- Drives include 73 and 146 GB. These drives can be mixed or matched as needed.
- Only drives and tray inserts released for BSE-3 blade may be used in this option.
I/O expansion card option support: The BSE-3 blade supports the addition of I/O expansion cards, both PCI-X and PCI-E.
PCI-X Slots 1 and 2
- Both slots support either legacy or SFF I/O expansion cards.
- Slot 1 will reside on PCI-X bus A, and the two SERDES channels from this slot will route to BladeCenter Storage and I/O Expansion Blade positions 1 and 2.
- Slot 2 will reside on PCI-X bus B, and the two SERDES channels from this slot will route to BladeCenter Storage and I/O Expansion Blade positions 3 and 4.
PCI-E High-Speed I/O Expansion Card (HSDC)
- The HSDC options will be designed to use PCI-E link B.
- PCI-E attached Expansion Card (HSDC) electrically interfaces directly to the host blade that the SIO is attached to.
- The power budget for the HSDC option is 25 watts, maximum.
- HSDC options supported include the Cisco 4xIB Host Channel Adapter Expansion Card (32R1760).
- The BSE-3 blade will support a maximum of any two I/O expansion card options.
BladeCenter HS21 blade servers include IBM Director. This powerful, highly integrated systems management software solution is built on industry standards and designed for ease of use.
The solution exploits your existing enterprise or workgroup management environments and uses rich security features to access and manage physically dispersed IT assets more efficiently over the Internet.
It can help reduce costs through potentially:
- Reduced downtime
- Increased productivity of IT personnel and end users
- Reduced service and support costs
IT administrators can view the hardware configuration of remote systems in detail and monitor the usage and performance of critical components, such as processors, HDDs, and memory. IBM Director can be extended with optional add-ons for advanced server management, deployment, and software distribution. All of these tools smoothly integrate into IBM Director for a consistent look-and-feel and single point of management, while taking advantage of the IBM Director monitoring, scheduling, alerting, event management, and group management capabilities.
Optional add-ons (available for an additional charge)
- Capacity Manager is an optional IBM Director extension that helps optimize servers' performance and availability. It monitors the utilization of the servers' resources, helps identify existing or future bottlenecks, and makes recommendations for improvement. Its predictive, proactive capabilities help reduce downtime costs, and its built-in, intelligent features optimize server throughput, utilization, and performance, helping maximize server investment.
- Remote Deployment Manager (RDM) is an effective tool for the initial deployment phase of a system's life cycle with its ability to remotely send out complete software images for installation in a reboot environment.
- Software Distribution Premium Edition enables you to create and distribute software packages to systems on your network, helping save travel and labor costs.
IBM Director also enables integration into leading workgroup and enterprise systems management environments via its Upward Integration Modules. This enables the advanced management capabilities built into System x servers to be accessed from:
- IBM Tivoli® Enterprise and IBM Tivoli NetView®
- Computer Associates CA Unscented T.G.
- HP Overview
- Microsoft® SMS
- BMC Patrol
For more information about IBM Director, refer to AG05-0426 , dated September 27, 2005.
IBM SMASH Proxy
With the SMASH Proxy, IBM continues to deliver innovative solutions based on industry standards. The SMASH Proxy software provides management of the BladeCenter through a command line protocol (CLP). This offering simplifies the management of BladeCenter, making it easier to automate datacenter operations in a standardized way. The SMASH Proxy is based on the Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF) draft specification for Systems Management Architecture for Server Hardware (SMASH) and supports both the BladeCenter Management Module as well as the Advanced Management Module.
The SMASH Proxy provides direct access to BladeCenter management functions as an alternative to using the existing command line or Web-based user interfaces. The SMASH Proxy CLP allows you to view and manage the components by issuing commands that display the management objects, and enables you to control the power and configuration of the management module and other components in the BladeCenter unit. You can also access the text-console command prompt on each blade server through a serial over local area network (LAN) (SOL) connection. Users can access the SMASH CLP interface by using a standard Telnet connection or a Secure Shell (SSH) connection, making it easy to fit into existing environments.
The SMASH Proxy is available to BladeCenter customers at no additional charge as a software download from
Remote Deployment Manager (RDM) for BladeCenter
BladeCenter can use RDM, which enables the configuration and deployment of BladeCenter HS21 blade servers within a single BladeCenter. This highly flexible and powerful tool enables you to deploy system images that include the operating system and configuration detail to one or more blade servers at one time from an IBM Director console on the network.
With RDM, you can:
- Add instructions for loading firmware or specific operating systems
- Deploy multiple blade servers in a BladeCenter at one time
- Store various images on the RDM server for target server installations
- Restore an initial or incremental disk image locally with a few keystrokes
- Deploy images using drop and drag
BladeCenter management module
BladeCenter HS21 is supported on both the BladeCenter Management Module and the newer Advanced Management Module.
Use the management module in the BladeCenter to manage the BladeCenter and obtain vital system information about your installed BladeCenter HS21 servers. The management module communicates with the blade servers within the BladeCenter via an RS-485 intermanagement network. This network relays vital information about individual blade servers, such as:
- Power supply status
- Memory status
- Fan status
- HDD status
- Error and status log
You receive status and control all blade servers within the BladeCenter. You can shut down and restart any blade server from anywhere on the network to help save time and costs associated with travel to the actual installation.
These manageability functions are provided through a self-contained Web page, creating an easy and familiar way for administrators to monitor, control, and maintain high availability.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Back to top
The BladeCenter HS21 offerings are positioned as high-density, compute-oriented blade servers offering lower power usage Intel processors.
The BladeCenter and BladeCenter HS21 blades can require less space and power resources than traditional rack offerings because of their high-density design, reduced power requirements, and single environment systems management. This is an extremely important consideration for:
- Large enterprises
- Application service providers
- Scientific and technical computing businesses
They are an excellent fit for applications such as:
- Lotus Notes®
- Microsoft Exchange
- Linux clusters
Back to top
Note: GAV models for AP Order Description Machine Models Number BladeCenter HS21 8853 GNA 8853GNA GNB 8853GNB GNK 8853GNK GNM 8853GNM GNR 8853GNR GNV 8853GNV Note: Following AP models are not GAV: Order Description Machine Models Number BladeCenter HS21 8853 GNJ 8853GNJ GNE 8853GNE GNC 8853GNC GNN 8853GNN GNQ 8853GNQ Note: xxA = Asean/Hong Kong Indonesia/Vietnam/Myanmar/ Brunei/Malaysia/Taiwan/ Thailand/Philippines/Singapore xxB = Hong Kong xxK = Korea xxC = China xxM = ANZ xxE = Japan xxN = China xxJ = Japan xxQ = India,Nepal xxR = Korea xxV = Taiwan Part Description number Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor L5408 44T1899 (2.13GHz 1066MHz 12MB L2 Cache 40w)
Back to top
- GHz and MHz denote the internal and/or external clock speed of the microprocessor only, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
- Using 4 GB DIMMs.
- IBM sends a technician after attempting to diagnose and resolve the problem remotely.
- For information on the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty, contact your IBM representative or reseller. Copies are available upon request.
Back to top
An installation and user's guide, and safety and warranty publications are shipped with each BladeCenter® HS21 blade. The following publications are available immediately:
Order Title number BladeCenter Solutions GM13-0127 System x(TM) Family Brochure GM13-0128
The publication BladeCenter HS21 Installation and User's Guide and Hardware Maintenance Manual , in U.S. English, are available from
The IBM Systems Information Center provides you with a single information center where you can access product documentation for IBM systems hardware, operating systems, and server software. Through a consistent framework, you can efficiently find information and personalize your access. The IBM Systems Information Center is at
IBM Publications Center Portal
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided, as well as payment options via credit card. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, which can currently be downloaded free of charge.
BladeCenter HS21 Installation and User's Guide
Back to top
Global Technology Services
IBM services include business consulting, outsourcing, hosting services, applications, and other technology management.
These services help you learn about, plan, install, manage, or optimize your IT infrastructure to be an On Demand Business. They can help you integrate your high-speed networks, storage systems, application servers, wireless protocols, and an array of platforms, middleware, and communications software for IBM and many non-IBM offerings. IBM is your one-stop shop for IT support needs.
For details on available services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on available IBM Business Continuity and Recovery Services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on education offerings related to specific products, visit
Select your country, and then select the product as the category.
Back to top
8853-GNx Processor Intel® L5408 Int. speed 2.13 GHz Ext. speed 1066 MHz Number standard 1 Maximum 2 L2 cache (full speed) 12 MB L3 cache 0 MB Memory (FBD Memory) 4 GB DIMMs (Standard) 2 x 2 GB DIMM sockets 4 Capacity 16 GB(5) Video SVGA Memory 16 MB Disk controller SAS Channels 1 Connector int. 2 Connector ext. 0 RAID Yes HDD 0 Connectors 2 Internal capacity 292 GB(6) Total HDD bays 2 PCI Slots 0 Management proc. Standard Ethernet controller Dual GB FC card Optional DVD-ROM (IDE) 0 Diskette drive 0 Power supply 0
- Total system memory capacity is based on using 4 GB memory DIMMs. This is expandable to 32 GB using the BladeCenter Memory and I/O Expansion Blade option (42C1600).
Capacities are based on installation of two 146 GB SAS HDDs. Total
capacity can be increased using the BladeCenter Storage and I/O
Expansion Blade (39R7563), which accommodates three additional hot-swap
SAS SFF HDDs and optional support for RAID 0, 1, or 5.
For latest information on supported HDD options, visit
- ATI RN50 (ES 1000) Video controller
- Integrated on the blade
- 16 MB embedded video memory
Supported BladeCenter HS21 video resolutions
CRT ISO Maximum refresh CRT 9241.3 Flat panel Resolution rate supported support compliance support 640 x 480 85 Hz Yes Yes Yes 800 x 600 85 Hz Yes Yes Yes 1024 x 768 75 Hz Yes Yes Yes
Note: For resolutions supported by different operating systems, refer to the operating system documentation.
Dimensions BladeCenter HS21
- Height: 24.5 cm (9.7 in)
- Depth: 44.6 cm (17.6 in)
- Width: 2.9 cm (1.14 in)
- Maximum weight: 5.4 kg (12 lb) (depending on the configuration when options are added)
Electrical: BladeCenter chassis: 200 to 240 (nominal) V ac; 50 Hz or 60 Hz
Electrical: BladeCenter HS21: 12.2 (nominal) V dc
Energy Value Tables BladeCenter HS21
BladeCenter H 8852-4xx Chassis BladeCenter E 8677-3xx BladeCenter HT 8730-xxx BladeCenter HT 8750-xxx BladeCenter S 8886-xxx Blade machine 8853-GNX type/model Power consumption Exempt (watts) CTP (MTOPS) 64710 2007 Category E Energy consumption Exempt efficiency Input (Hz) frequency 60
BladeCenter Chassis and BladeCenter HS21 Configuration Idling with Windows® (at 25°C)
8853-GNx CPU 1 CPU -- Xeon PSU 2 Mgt Mod. 1 standard HDD 1 x 36 GB SAS HDD DVD-ROM 1 standard RAM 4 x 4 GB DIMMs
Standards: This system supports or complies with the following standards:
- Multiprocessor Specification (MPS) 1.4
- Hardware-enabled to meet the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9241, Part 3
Equipment approvals and safety
- Japan VCCI, Class A
- IEC-60950 (CB Certificate and CB Test Report)
- Australia and New Zealand C-Tick Mark, Class A
- Taiwan BSMI CNS13438, Class A
- China GB 9254-1998, GB17625.1-1998, GB17625.2-1999
- Korea MIC
- 10.0° to 35.0°C (50° to 95°F) at 0 to 914 m (0 to 3,000 ft)
- 10.0° to 32.0°C (50° to 90°F) at 914 to 2,133 m (3,000 to 7,000 ft)
- Relative humidity: 8% to 80%
- Maximum altitude: 2,133 m (7,000 ft)
For attended installation of an operating system, this server requires a compatible:
Unattended or remote installation may be performed without requiring some or all of these components. Review your unattended software installation program information for specific hardware configuration requirements.
For service, the server requires a compatible:
The following network operating systems have been tested for compatibility with the BladeCenter HS21:
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Enterprise Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server Edition
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server x64 Edition
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server with Xen x64 Edition
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server Edition with Xen
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 AS for x86
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 AS for AMD64/EM64T
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 ES for x86
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 ES for AMD64/EM64T
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 WS for x86
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 WS for AMD64/EM64T
- SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 10 for x86
- SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 10 for AMD64/EM64T
- SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 10 with Xen for AMD64/EM64T
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 for x86
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 for AMD64/EM64T
- VMware: ESX Server 3.0, Version 3.0.1
- Novell: NetWare 6.5 with Support Pack 5
For additional information, support, certification, and versions of network operating systems, access
Compatibility: The BladeCenter HS21 contains licensed system programs that include set configuration, set features, and test programs. IBM system BIOS is loaded from a "flash" EEPROM into system memory. This BIOS provides instructions and interfaces designed to support the standard features of the BladeCenter HS21 and to maintain compatibility with many current software programs.
For detailed information about IBM and non-IBM devices, adapters, software, and network operating systems supported with System x servers, visit
Contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, or refer to the IBM Sales Manual for information on the compatibility of hardware and software for System x servers. The Sales Manual is updated periodically as new features and options are announced that support these servers.
The BladeCenter HS21 blades contain four DIMM sockets. A maximum of 16
GB of system memory is supported by using a 4 GB DIMM of ECC DDR memory
in each of the DIMM sockets. Four additional DIMM sockets are available
via the BladeCenter Memory and I/O Expansion option. All supported
system memory is addressable through direct memory access. The
BladeCenter HS21 supports currently available 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB
DIMM options. Supported DIMMs can coexist in the same server; however,
memory DIMMs of the same capacity must be installed in matched pairs.
Refer to the Planning information section or the System x server Web page for memory options.
- Microprocessors must be of the same type and clock speed on each BladeCenter HS21. Mixing microprocessors of different speeds or cache sizes or upgrading the base processors is not supported. The latest BladeCenter hardware and software compatibility is available via the Web
Refer to the Software requirements section for operating system limitations.
Remote Deployment Manager can:
- Support 32-bit Windows native and clone installations
- Support Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RH EL) (Advanced Server) 3.0 32-bit installations via a white paper
- Update BIOS, perform CMOS updates, and configure a RAID controller
- Not support SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 9
ServerGuide and Scripting Toolkit
- ServerGuide supports the installation of Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 (32- and 64 bit).
- Toolkit does not support the installation of Windows 64-bit NOSs.
The Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment software included as part of ServerGuide software
may be used for boot, diagnostic, setup, restoration, installation, configuration, test, or disaster
recovery purposes only.
Note: The Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment software contains a security feature that will cause an end-user customer's system to reboot without prior notification to the end-user customer after 24 hours of continuous use of the Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment. During routine usage of ServerGuide, which does not usually require usage of the Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment software for such an extended time period, this condition should not occur.
- Update Express is supported in 32-bit mode only.
Customer responsibilities: This product is designated as customer setup. Customer setup instructions are shipped with the product.
Integrated RAID-1 configuration
Manufacturing instructions (MI) publication enables you to set up a RAID-1 integrated mirroring configuration. This instruction enables configuration via Odyssey (ibm.com). The MI is Integrated Mirroring SAS HDD (39R9433).
Configuration information: BladeCenter HS21 blades must be installed in a BladeCenter chassis.
The BladeCenter contains 14 blade server bays supporting up to 14 hot-swap BladeCenter HS21 blades. A control panel, located at the top left of the unit, contains the following LEDs:
- Power good
- Blade location
- Over temperature
- General fault
The system comes standard with one Intel.) Xeon processor. An additional processor may be added by purchasing a supported processor option. The optional processor must match the initial processor in each system.
The Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor L5408 (2.13.GHz 1066MHz 12MB L2 Cache 40w Upgrade processor option (44T1899 is supported with the BladeCenter HS21.
The following memory options are supported with BladeCenter HS21:
Option description Option 1GB (2x512MB) FB-DIMM 667 MHz 39M5782 2GB (2x1GB) FB-DIMM 667 MHz 39M5785 4GB (2x2GB) FB-DIMM 667 MHz 39M5791 8GB (2x4GB) FB-DIMM 667 MHz 39M5797
BladeCenter HS21 is supported in the BladeCenter chassis.
Note: Consult specific chassis announcements for more information on set up and redundancy.
Cable orders: Each BladeCenter HS21 blade contains two Gigabit Ethernet connections. An optional BladeCenter Gigabit Ethernet Switch Module must be installed in the BladeCenter to support external Ethernet connections.
Cabling is not included with the server. Consult the Ethernet Switch module documentation for external cabling requirements.
Installations using the BladeCenter Fibre Channel Switch Module require short- or long-wave small form factor pluggable (SFP) options and appropriate Fibre Channel cabling.
Installability: Each BladeCenter HS21 requires approximately 10 minutes for installation. Installation includes unpacking, setting up, and powering on the system. Additional time is required to install an operating system, additional options, or features.
Product Package description Boxes BladeCenter HS21 BladeCenter HS21 Carton 1 Contents: BladeCenter HS21 1 Publications/CD Package 1 BladeCenter HS21 Publications Package 1 Contents: Documentation CD-ROM (softcopy of publications) Safety flyer Standard form factor I/O Expansion card tray kit
The BladeCenter HS21 blades are shipped in a single package. The approximate shipping dimensions and weight are:
- Single pack dimensions: 60.32 x 33.4 x 15.57 cm (23.75 x 13.13 x 6.13 in)
- Single pack weight: 4.2 kg (9.2 lb)
Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor L5408 44T1899 (2.13GHz 1066MHz 12MB L2 Cache 40w) Upgrade Processor Option
- Quad-core Intel Xeon processors
- Heat sink
- Installation publications and warranty
For end users: For information about Priority Fulfillment Services distribution channels, call +81-3-3808-8486 in Japan or 972-881-0733 outside of Japan.
Security, auditability, and control
Security and auditability features include:
- A power-on password function helps provide control of who has access to the data and server setup program on the server.
- A set unattended boot mode allows the system keyboard to be locked to all entries except the password and at the same time allows other computers on the network to access the system disk drive.
- A selectable boot sequence can be used to help prevent unauthorized installation of software or removal of data from the diskette drive.
The BladeCenter HS21 blades have no security intrusion detection. Therefore, they should be installed in a rack environment that provides security through lockable doors or other security measures. It is the client's responsibility to ensure that the server is secure to protect sensitive data.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communications
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to help you achieve higher system availability. Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that offers an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available for IBM servers. These services are designed to provide the opportunity for greater system availability with faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. Electronic Services comprises two separate, but complementary, elements: Electronic Services news page and Electronic Services Agent.
The Electronic Services news page is a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your server. It monitors events and transmits system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, client-defined timetable. The Electronic Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to deliver proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent is made available to IBM service support representatives when they help answer your questions or diagnose problems. Installation and use of IBM Electronic Service Agent for problem reporting enables IBM to provide better support and service for your IBM server.
To learn how Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
To obtain copies of the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty, contact your reseller or IBM.
- Three years
- Optional features One year
Optional IBM features initially installed in an IBM machine carry the same warranty period as the machine. If installed after the initial machine installation, they carry the balance of the machine warranty or the optional feature warranty, whichever is greater.
If required, IBM provides repair or exchange service depending on the type of warranty service specified for the machine. IBM will attempt to resolve your problem over the telephone or electronically by access to an IBM Web site. You must follow the problem determination and resolution procedures that IBM specifies. Scheduling of service will depend upon the time of your call and is subject to parts availability. Service levels are response-time objectives and are not guaranteed. The specified level of warranty service may not be available in all worldwide locations. Additional charges may apply outside IBM's normal service area. Contact your local IBM representative or your reseller for country- and location-specific information.
The type of service is Customer Replaceable Unit (for example, keyboard, mouse, speaker, memory, or hard disk drive) service and on-site service.
Customer Replaceable Unit (CRU) Service: IBM provides a replacement CRU to you for you to install. CRU information and replacement instructions are shipped with your machine and are available from IBM at any time on your request. A CRU is designated as being either a Tier 1 or a Tier 2 CRU. Installation of a Tier 1 CRU is your responsibility. If IBM installs a Tier 1 CRU, at your request, you will be charged for the installation. You may install a Tier 2 CRU yourself or request IBM to install it, at no additional charge, under the type of warranty service specified, on-site service.
Based upon availability, a CRU will be shipped for next business day (NBD) delivery. IBM specifies in the materials shipped with a replacement CRU whether a defective CRU must be returned to IBM. When return is required, return instructions and a container are shipped with the replacement CRU, and you may be charged for the replacement CRU if IBM does not receive the defective CRU within 15 days of your receipt of the replacement.
The following have been designated as a Tier 1 CRU:
- Blank filler
- Cable-management arm
- Hard disk drive
- Hot-swap fan
- Hot-swap power supply
- Lift handle kit
- Memory DIMM
- Memory expansion card
- Optical drive
- PCI adapter
- PCI divider
- Power cord
- Service label
- Service processor
- System label
- Top cover
- Voltage regulator module
On-site service: This provides On-site Repair, 9 hours per day, Monday through Friday excluding holidays, NBD response. IBM or your reseller will repair the failing machine at your location and verify its operation. You must provide a suitable working area to allow disassembly and reassembly of the IBM machine. The area must be clean, well lit, and suitable for the purpose. On-site service is not available in all countries, and some countries have kilometer or mileage limitations from an IBM service center. In those locations where on-site service is not available, the normal in-country service delivery is used.
International Warranty Service: International Warranty Service (IWS) is available in selected countries or regions.
The warranty service type and the service level provided in the servicing country may be different from that provided in the country in which the machine was purchased.
Under IWS, warranty service will be provided with the prevailing warranty service type and service level available for the IWS-eligible machine type in the servicing country and the warranty period observed will be that of the country in which the machine was purchased.
To determine the eligibility of your machine and to view a list of countries where service is available, visit
For more information on IWS, refer to AA01-3100 , dated September 28, 2001.
Programs included with this product are licensed under the terms and conditions of the License Agreements that are shipped with the system.
IBM hourly service rate classification: One
Field-installable features: Yes
Model conversions: No
Machine installation: Customer setup. Customers are responsible for installation according to the instructions IBM provides with the machine.
Graduated program license charges apply: No
Licensed Machine Code: IBM Machine Code is licensed for use by a customer on the IBM machine for which it was provided by IBM under the terms and conditions of the IBM License Agreement for Machine Code, to enable the machine to function in accordance with its specifications, and only for the capacity authorized by IBM and acquired by the customer. You can obtain the agreement by contacting your IBM representative or visiting
IBM may release changes to the Machine Code. IBM plans to make the Machine Code changes available for download from the IBM System x technical support Web site
If the machine does not function as warranted and your problem can be resolved through your application of downloadable Machine Code, you are responsible for downloading and installing these designated Machine Code changes as IBM specifies. If you would prefer, you may request IBM to install downloadable Machine Code changes; however, you may be charged for that service.
Back to top
For all local charges contact your IBM representative.
ServicePac for warranty service upgrade (WSU) and maintenance charges
ServicePac Machine ServicePac TMF type/model Description part number part number Warranty Option Upgrade: 8853 3-year WSU, IOR 24 x 7 69P9519 6756137 2-hour average response 8853 3-year WSU, IOR 24 x 7 69P9518 6756136 4-hour average response 8853 3-year WSU, IOR 9 x 5 69P9517 6756135 4-hour average response 8853 4-year IOR 24 x 7 69P9523 6756141 2-hour average response 8853 5-year IOR 24 x 7 69P9527 6756145 2-hour average response 8853 4-year IOR 24 x 7 69P9522 6756140 4-hour average response 8853 5-year IOR 24 x 7 69P9526 6756144 4-hour average response 8853 4-year IOR 9 x 5 69P9521 6756139 4-hour average response 8853 5-year IOR 9 x 5 69P9525 6756143 4-hour average response 8853 4-year IOR 9 x 5 69P9520 6756138 NBD response 8853 5-year IOR 9 x 5 69P9524 6756142 NBD response Maintenance: 8853 1-year IOR 24 x 7 69P9516 6756D55 2-hour average response 8853 2-year IOR 24 x 7 96P2132 6756D75 2-hour average response 8853 1-year IOR 24 x 7 69P9515 6756D54 4-hour average response 8853 2-year IOR 24 x 7 96P2131 6756D74 4-hour average response 8853 1-year IOR 9 x 5 69P9514 6756D53 4-hour average response 8853 2-year IOR 9 x 5 96P2130 6756D73 4-hour average response 8853 1-year IOR 9 x 5 69P9513 6756D52 NBD response 8853 2-year IOR 9 x 5 96P2129 6756D72 NBD response
IBM Global Financing: IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice. Financing solutions from IBM Global Financing can help you stretch your budget and affordably acquire the new product. But beyond the initial acquisition, our end-to-end approach to IT management can also help keep your technologies current, reduce costs, minimize risk, and preserve your ability to make flexible equipment decisions throughout the entire technology life cycle.
Back to top