5725-Z61 IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.3IBM Canada Sales Manual
Revised: April 28, 2020
|Table of contents|
|Program Number||VRM||Announced||Available||Marketing Withdrawn||Service Discontinued|
Back to top
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.3.0 (5725-Z61)
Back to top
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.3.0:
IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.3.0 delivers support for the new IBM Storwize V5100 models and adds multitenancy and performance enhancements to all the current models of IBM SAN Volume Controller (SVC), IBM FlashSystem V9000, IBM FlashSystem 9100, IBM Storwize V7000, and IBM Storwize V5000.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.2.1:
IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.2.1 converges all the current models of SVC, FlashSystem V9000, FlashSystem 9100, Storwize V7000 and Storwize V5000 on a common code level, and adds the following functions and improvements
- NVMe over Fibre Channel support on 16 Gb Fibre Channel adapters
- Full IP-based quorum
- 64K host mappings
- IBM Spectrum Insights call home transport protocol
- Single copy vdisk expand with format
- iSER support for host attachment with 25 GbE adapters (IBM SAN Volume Controller (SVC) Model SV1 and IBM Storwize V9000 Model AC3)
- Clustering support over Ethernet using remote direct memory access (RDMA)
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.1.3:
IBM Spectrum Virtualize software delivers a powerful solution for storage virtualization, offering advanced storage capabilities.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.3 adds the following benefits:
- Block deduplication increases the efficiency of storage usage by utilizing pointers in duplicate blocks rather than keeping multiple copies.
- RESTful API support adds support for industry standard RESTful API tools for system integration, deployment, and management.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.1.2: delivers a powerful solution for storage virtualization, offering advanced storage capabilities.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.2 adds the following benefits:
- Data reduction pools increase existing infrastructure capacity utilization by leveraging new efficiency functions. The pools enable you to automatically de-allocate and reclaim capacity of thin- provisioned volumes containing deleted data and, for the first time, enable this reclaimed capacity to be reused by other volumes. With a new log-structured pool implementation, data reduction pools help deliver more consistent performance from compressed volumes. Data reduction pools also support compressing all volumes in a system, potentially extending the benefits of compression to all data in a system.
- Thin Provisioned Mdisk utilizes UNMAP to alert when extents are freed or a host writes zeroes, providing more efficient use of physical space (Available in IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.1).
- iSCSI port scalability and grouping will enable new host grouping of ports of similar speeds together and deliver future increases in ports per node and speed. The host can attach to port groups with the right speeds for optimised performance (Available in IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.1).
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.1.0 delivers support for the latest platforms in the IBM Storwize product family, and adds the following functions and improvements:
- Remote Support Assistances provides secure connection for remote support with audit logging
- New GUI look and feel
- IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager (SKLM) coexistence with USB encryption key management and SKLM clone server support
- Pause capability in concurrent code updater allows flexibility during code updates recommendations
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.8.1 adds the following benefits:
- Host cluster I/O throttling: I/O throttling can be managed at the host level (individual or groups) and at managed disk levels for improved performance management.
- Host groups with GUI support: Host groups can be more easily managed through the GUI, adding more management flexibility to existing CLI support.
- Increased background FlashCopy transfer rates: This feature enables you to increase the rate of background FlashCopy transfers, providing faster copies as the infrastructure allows. This takes advantage of the higher performance capabilities of today's systems, processing the copy in a shorter period of time.
- Port Congestion Statistic: Zero buffer credits help detect SAN congestion in performance-related issues, improving support in high-performance environments.
- Resizing of volumes in remote mirror relationships: Target volumes in remote mirror relationships will be automatically resized when source volumes are resized.
- Consistency protection for Metro/Global Mirror relationships: An automatic restart of mirroring relationships after a link fails between the mirror sites improves disaster recovery scenarios, helping to ensure the applications are protected throughout the process.
- Support of SuperMicro servers for the Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only offering: Support for x86-based Intel servers by SuperMicro for Spectrum Virtualize Software Only is available with this release. Supermicro SuperServer 2028U-TRTP+ is supported to run Spectrum Virtualize Software. This is a great option for end clients, managed service or cloud service providers deploying private clouds, building hosted services, or using software-defined storage on third party Intel servers. This a fully inclusive license with all key features available on Spectrum Virtualize in a single, downloadable image.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.8.0 delivers support for the latest platforms in the IBM Storwize product family, and adds new software functionality and improvements:
- More flexible data protection with transparent cloud tiering to leverage the cloud as snapshot targets and restore snapshots from the cloud
- Improved data economics through advanced functionalities for lower endurance flash drives
- Improved security with support for encryption key management software
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.7.1 is a new addition to the Spectrum Storage family that enables customers to purchase and deploy Spectrum Virtualize independent of the SAN Volume Controller (SVC) or Storwize family hardware. This is a software- defined storage offering that can virtualize and optimize more than 370 different brands and models of block storage arrays, and can be installed on supported Intel servers supplied by the customer. IBM Spectrum Virtualize is the software that has been available in SVC and the IBM Storwize family for more than 13 years, but with a more flexible deployment model aimed at clients and service providers (MSPs, CSPs) who are implementing software-defined storage infrastructures in their data centres.
Back to top
Customers today face a challenging business environment. There is a need to store more information to make their business more competitive and for IT to be responsive and support initiatives, all while controlling IT costs and limiting the amount of staff required to support IT. Service Providers and customers seeking hybrid cloud solutions are looking for ways to both lower their overall costs while providing security, management, and data availability.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize software delivers management of storage from entry and midrange up to enterprise disk systems, and enables hosts to attach through FC SAN or iSCSI to existing Ethernet networks. IBM Spectrum Virtualize software is designed to be easy to use, enabling existing staff to start working with it rapidly. IBM Spectrum Virtualize uses virtualization, thin provisioning, and compression technologies to improve storage utilization and meet changing needs quickly and easily. In this way, Spectrum Virtualize software is the ideal complement to server virtualization strategies, and provides a unique value to MSPs and CSPs who want to create highly optimised storage solutions in their cloud data centres on standard Intel hardware.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize also enables migration of data from existing storage systems to new ones, simplifying implementation and minimizing disruption. These are offerings for customers with existing SAN networks who seek to reduce the complexities and costs of managing their storage.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize software is a cross-industry offering for customers who are seeking to transition to hybrid clouds to lower their costs with off-premises solutions for disaster recovery, capacity expansion, or dev ops. These customers also focus on scaling capability with reasonable costs, including disaster recovery functions (Remote Mirroring, FlashCopy, Stretched clusters), performance features (SSD and Easy Tier), and security enhancements (encryption).
Back to top
IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.3 adds the following benefits:
- Support for new NVMe-based Storwize V5100 models delivering improved performance and lower latency
- Multitenancy through object-based access control allocates storage resources to several independent tenants with the assurance that one tenant cannot access resources associated with another tenant
- Data reduction pool performance improvements
IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.2.1 adds the following benefits:
- NVMe over Fibre Channel support on 16 Gb Fibre Channel adapters: Extends the simplicity, efficiency, and end-to-end NVMe model where NVMe commands and structures are transferred end to end, requiring no translations
- Full IP-based quorum: Delivers support for administrators looking to consolidate their infrastructure over Ethernet
- Increased host mappings: Increases host mappings to 64K from the previous limitation of 20K
- IBM Spectrum Insights : Provides a call home protocol that uses IBM IP to deliver a more robust path and higher bandwidth/higher frequency data transmission, with end-to-end confirmation of receipt
- Single copy vdisk expand with format : Enables administrators to expand a vdisk without migrating the data off and back on
- iSER support for host attachment with 25 GbE adapters : Expands the host connectivity options for those storage arrays not initially covered by V8.2
- Clustering support over Ethernet using RDMA : Enables IBM Spectrum Virtualize software to run over multiple types of technology, including FS9100, SVC, V9000, and V7000
Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.1.3
IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.3 delivers block deduplication and RESTful API support.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.1.2 delivers support for the latest platforms in the IBM Storwize product family, and adds the following functions and improvements:
- Data reduction pools (DRP) for increased capacity efficiency
- Thin-provisioning deallocation and space reclamation (SCSI UNMAP)
- Thin Provisioned Mdisk: Utilizes UNMAP to alert when extents are freed or a host writes zeroes, providing more efficient use of physical space (Available in IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.1)
- Increased number of compress volumes, up to the vdisk limits
- Improved performance consistency with compression
- iSCSI port scalability and grouping (Available in IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.1)
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.1.0 adds the following enhancements:
- Remote support assistance: Support engineers can perform system or upgrade recoveries over secure support sessions. This enables remote concurrent upgrades to be done securely and is only available only for clients who purchase Enterprise Class Support.
- Improved GUI: A new look and feel to the GUI brings consistency across other IBM platforms.
- SKLM enhancements for Spectrum Virtualize function: SKLM support has been expanded to support up to three Key Server clones for a total of four Key Servers (one master and three clones). Concurrent use of both SKLM servers and USB-based encryption is now supported.
- Concurrent Code Upgrade (CCU): The Pause function will allow users to pause CCU indefinitely. This pause allows customers to do any problem determination, such as multipathing issues or simply to pause the upgrade until a more convenient time to resume the upgrade.
- Health Checker: This enables customized configuration recommendations based on periodic inventory messages that are called home.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.8.1 delivers support for the latest platforms in the IBM Storwize product family, and adds the following functions and improvements:
- Increased background FlashCopy transfer rates for faster local copy services
- Host cluster I/O throttling for improved performance management
- Host groups with GUI support for easier management
- Port Congestion Statistic for Fibre Channel performance support and management
- Resizing of volumes in remote mirror relationships
- Consistency protection for Metro and Global Mirror relationships
- Support for SuperMicro SuperServer 2028U-TRTP+ for Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only offering
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.8.0 adds the following new benefits:
- Increased flexibility to protect data with transparent cloud tiering technology to leverage the cloud as snapshot targets and restore snapshots from the cloud
- Improved data economics through advanced functionalities for lower endurance flash drives, better balancing performance gains, and lower cost per terabyte with lower endurance
- Improved security with support to encryption key management software that complies with Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP) standards, such as IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager (SKLM) to help centralize, simplify, and automate the encryption key management process to help minimise risk and reduce operational costs of encryption key management
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.7.1 offers advanced functionality to the virtualized storage infrastructure, including:
- Management of virtualized storage as a single storage pool, integrating islands of storage and easing the management and optimization of the overall pool
- Virtualization of both iSCSI and Fibre Channel attached storage
- Transparent volume migration
- Real-Time Compression of virtualized data
- EasyTier for automatic and dynamic data tiering
- FlashCopy snapshots
- Remote data replication, synchronous and asynchronous, through Fibre Channel and IP ports
- Software encryption for externally virtualized storage
- High availability capabilities with Stretched Cluster or HyperSwap
- Virtual Disk Mirroring to maintain two redundant copies of a LUN, implicitly on different storage controllers
- Common look and feel with other offerings that utilize IBM Spectrum Virtualize software
- Ability to use Global or Metro Mirror for disaster recovery between IBM Spectrum Virtualize software deployed with other Storwize family products or SVC, creating options for a more flexible disaster recovery site
- Enterprise capabilities
IBM Spectrum Virtualize software only is offered as a fully inclusive, perpetual or monthly license. Through IBM Passport Advantage, Monthly Licensing is a licensing model that allows customers to pay on a monthly basis for only the licenses that are actually used. This allows a better match between varying usage and required licensing, and therefore, better cash flow management for customers with workloads that can vary significantly over time, such as Managed Service Providers and Private Cloud Service Providers, as well as smaller customers. Together with the ability to deploy on standard Intel x86-based hardware, customers avoid capital expense with optimal flexibility operational expense.
Back to top
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software is a software-defined storage offering targeted for customers, Managed Service Providers and Private Cloud Service Providers requiring more flexibility in hybrid cloud deployment. Whether in an on-premises private cloud or a managed cloud service, this offering will reduce the complexities and cost of managing SAN-based or iSCSI-based storage while improving availability.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.3.0 builds upon the already robust tools and functionality of IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.2.1 to add support for the new Storwize V5100 systems.
The storage system allows allocating storage resources to several independent administrators, assuring that one administrator cannot access resources associated with another administrator.
Multitenancy extends the storage system approach to role-based access control. In addition to associating the user with predefined sets of operations and scope (the applications on which an operation is allowed), the storage system enables the user to freely determine what operations are allowed, and where they are allowed.
When multitenancy is enabled, storage resources are allocated to several independent administrators with the assurance that one administrator cannot view or access resources that are associated with another administrator.
Data Reduction Pools performance enhancements
Handling of deduplication metadata in Data reduction pools has been optimised, driving incremental improvements in write bandwidth performance.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.2.1 builds upon the already robust tools and functionality of IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.2 and IBM Spectrum Virtualize 8.1.3, supported on FlashSystem 9100, Storwize, SVC, and V9000.
The NVMe over Fibre Channel support on the 16 Gb Fibre Channel adapter expands the capabilities of the existing adapters and extends the simplicity, efficiency, and end-to-end NVMe model where NVMe commands and structures are transferred end to end and require no translations.
Full IP-based quorum delivers support for administrators looking to consolidate their infrastructure over Ethernet, eliminating Fibre Channel connections for intracluster communication. This saves cost and reduces bandwidth on any SANs used for storage connectivity.
64K host mappings extend the ability of administrators to provision for large numbers of hosts, particularly in virtual environments. Customers have been reaching the 20K limit available on existing levels.
Support for the call home transport protocol for Storage Insights enables customers to use a lighter-weight protocol for system monitoring, improving performance of both the system and the network in the process. This improves the overall customer experience when using Storage Insights to monitor large storage infrastructures, and provides a more robust path which will give higher bandwidth and frequency data transmission with end-to-end confirmation of receipt.
The single copy vdisk expand with format enables administrators to expand the capacity of a fully allocated single copy volume with fast format on expanded region by default, without having to create a new volume and migrate the data off the existing volume. This provides more flexible configurability of the system without consuming unnecessary capacity and enables the ability to expand fully allocated single copy volumes that are part of a replication relationship with fast format.
iSER support for host attachment optimizes the host connection options for hosts using Ethernet as their communication path to the storage device. iSER enables customers to improve performance while maintaining their investments in applications not ready for NVMe and eases cloud deployment with high-speed Ethernet. It is useful in software-defined storage systems as it is protocol agnostic with either iWarp or RoCE.
Clustering support over Ethernet using RDMA improves the performance of cluster communications, using the latest protocols and freeing up bandwidth on the SAN. Clustering enables IBM Spectrum Virtualize to run over multiple types of technology, such as RoCE, and iWARP.
Spectrum Virtualize 8.2.1 supports the Gemalto SafeNet Key Server release 8.3 onwards in addition to the IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager (SKLM).
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.1.2 builds upon the already robust tools and functionality of Spectrum Virtualize V8.1 whose hardware platforms include Storwize, SVC, and V9000. IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.2 adds Data Reduction Pools, Thin-Provisioned Mdisk (Available in IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.1), and iSCSI port scalability and grouping (Available in IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.1).
Data reduction pools increase existing infrastructure capacity utilization by leveraging new efficiency functions. The pools enable you to automatically de-allocate and reclaim capacity of thin- provisioned volumes containing deleted data and, for the first time, enable this reclaimed capacity to be reused by other volumes. With a new log-structured pool implementation, data reduction pools help deliver more consistent performance from compressed volumes. Data reduction pools also support compressing all volumes in a system, potentially extending the benefits of compression to all data in a system.
Thin Provisioned Mdisk utilizes UNMAP to alert when extents are freed or a host writes zeroes, providing more efficient use of physical space. (Available in IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.1)
Anticipating future increases in ports per node and speed per port, iSCSI Port scalability and grouping will enable the host to group together ports of similar speeds and attach to port groups with the right speeds for optimised performance. (Available in IBM Spectrum Virtualize V8.1.1)
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.1.0
Remote Support Assistance (RSA) brings simplified security and troubleshooting to the customer. For those customers who can enable a secure connection to IBM servers, RSA will allow for a secure channel to be open so IBM can perform remote recovery intervention or remotely upload logs. This feature also includes audit logging for ease of mind. In addition, RSA will also allow IBM to do a remote code upgrade for the customer, if the customer has purchased Enterprise Client Service.
With hot spare node support, customers can obtain higher availability by utilizing this function. The hot spare will allow the customer to automatically swap a spare node with a failing one. It can also be used to swap old nodes to new nodes during an upgrade.
SKLM is expanding its support to up to four servers for the Spectrum Virtualize products enabling customers to have stand-by SKLM servers in case the master SKLM server fails for any reason. This allows Spectrum Virtualize to have the same parameters as the other storage platforms and the ability to co-exist with the USB key method. This would provide additional peace of mind in case the SKLM server went down and the system rebooted.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.8.1 brings several enhancements to the IBM Spectrum Virtualize suite of offerings, including the Storwize family, SVC, and Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only.
Previous FlashCopy transfer rates were limited to 64 MB per second, requiring extended transfer time on some higher end systems. With the performance of the current models, customers will be able to increase the maximum rate up to 256 MB per second, requiring shorter windows for point-in-time copy transfers and improving system availability at maximum performance. For instance, customers who perform their background copies over the weekend will be able to complete copies overnight, further improving flexibility in their FlashCopy management strategy.
I/O throttling is extended to hosts, host groups, and managed disk groups to extend the ability to control the volume of I/O operations served by SVC systems. This control is based on configurable attributes such as bandwidth and IOPS requirements. This will improve the performance management of Spectrum Virtualize systems and deliver increased flexibility in throttling. Host group support is also added to the GUI, completing the integration that begun with CLI support in version 7.8.
Encryption key management is improved by adding support for multiple key servers to manage the encryption keys. This provides redundancy options to the key management strategy, and improves tolerance of key server outages and failures.
Port Congestion Statistic can help detect SAN congestion in performance-related situations. Adding support for the Port Congestion Statistic feature can assist in troubleshooting performance issues and locating the congestion in Fibre Channel traffic. These statistics will be provided for all ports on the system, regardless of the speed of the port.
Resizing of volumes in remote mirror relationships will enable target volumes to be automatically and nondisruptively resized when source volumes are resized. This functionality is key in addressing disaster recovery requirements when workload capacity varies overtime, and enables LUNs to be resized and to capacity use to be optimised while keeping replicated data available.
Improvements in consistency protection for Global and Metro Mirror implementations is provided by automatically restarting the relationships after an outage. This prevents the storage administrator from having to manually restart the relationship after the connection is restored, improving disaster recovery capabilities. With the auto-restart feature, disaster recovery capabilities are retained during the resynchronization of the relationship. Change volumes are used to manage the consistency in remote mirror configurations.
Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only expands its support to cover SuperMicro SuperServer 2028U-TRTP+, in addition to previously supported systems.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.8.0 releases the following new functions:
- Increased flexibility to protect data with transparent cloud tiering technology that enables you to leverage the cloud as snapshot targets and restore snapshots from the cloud. Snapshots are encrypted and compressed before being uploaded to the cloud for more security, lower telecommunication costs, and lower cloud storage costs.
- Improved data economics through advanced functionalities for lower endurance flash drives, better balancing performance gains, and lower cost per terabyte with lower endurance. EasyTier support, interface alerting to report high percentage of DWPD consumption rates, and advanced warning of possible flash array failures are also included.
- Improved security with support to encryption key management software that complies with KMIP standards, such as IBM SKLM. Encryption key management software can help centralize, simplify, and automate the encryption key management process to help minimise risk and reduce operational costs of encryption key management. By using encryption key management software, you will not be required to use USB flash drives to store encryption keys or to physically access the hardware in which Spectrum Virtualize is installed, benefiting those with large numbers of Storwize controller enclosures, SVC clusters, FlashSystems V9000, or Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only servers.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize software offers a powerful value proposition for Enterprise IT as well as Service Providers (CSPs, MSPs) who are searching for more flexible and agile ways to deploy block storage on commodity Intel hardware. Using these standard Intel servers, Spectrum Virtualize software can be easily added to existing infrastructures to deliver greater storage efficiency through virtualization.
Customers can manage entry to high-end storage networks where their data is distributed across disparate disk storage arrays or lower function disk storage arrays lacking enterprise-class capabilities such as encryption, compression or automated tiering. Either as hybrid cloud users or as service providers, there is a need to improve the flexibility, responsiveness, and availability of the IT infrastructure, while also controlling costs through the ability to deploy on commodity Intel hardware. They may have already implemented server virtualization through offerings such as HyperV, KVM, or VMware vSphere, and aim to complete virtualization of their infrastructure to enhance the benefits of server virtualization.
There are two primary audiences who can benefit from this technology:
- Customers interested in a hybrid cloud environment targeting a lower cost, yet highly available and robust environment for their secondary site
- Service Providers (Managed Service Providers or Cloud Service Providers) who may offer hybrid cloud services to customers
Virtualization can help customers wanting to simplify their data centres by creating better optimization of storage capacity simply by deploying Spectrum Virtualize software on supported commodity servers. In addition to improved optimization of existing capacity, this offering can hide the differences among heterogeneous storage systems and enabling pooling of storage for centralized, consistent management within a datacenter or in a hybrid cloud environment. These customers are also concerned about the availability of applications and simplifying deployment or growth of new applications.
Storage virtualization and optimization with Spectrum Virtualize software helps enable rapid and flexible changes to the infrastructure through one all-inclusive software license deployed on supported commodity bare metal Intel servers. In addition, the offering can make data migration and physical infrastructure changes possible without application disruption.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize software includes the following key functions with deployment on supported standard Intel Servers:
EasyTier: EasyTier enables customers to define up to three tiers of storage to manage system performance. Each tier represents a different performance capability and requirement. With built-in analytics, hot data is identified and moved automatically and dynamically to high-performance capacity, while data with lower performance requirements can be moved to inexpensive, slower capacity. The movement of data to high-performance capacity, such as SSDs or flash storage, is temporary to address performance hot spots. Customers can minimise expense with just the right amount of high performance capacity. Data can be restriped as the storage pool grows, enabling dynamic changes to the virtualized pool. EasyTier technology has embedded analytics for automatic and dynamic tiering of data, within and among virtualized arrays.
Real-time Compression: Data can be compressed inline and in real-time by IBM Spectrum Virtualize by up to 80%. The compression is transparent to the host and the virtualized disk storage arrays. Real-time Compression can provide tremendous savings when used in environments with highly compressible data, reducing the overall physical capacity used and driving datacenter space, energy, and cooling savings.
The Comprestimator tool: The Comprestimator tool is now integrated as part of IBM Spectrum Virtualize software. This tool will enable compression estimates for data stored on systems based on IBM Spectrum Virtualize.
FlashCopy snapshots: FlashCopy snapshots provide point- in-time copies of data which enable immediate access to data for mining or backup processes. The snapshots will preserve the data at a specific point in time so that production operation can continue on the original copy while the backup copy is being processed.
Remote data replication: Remote data replication delivers flexibility for disaster recovery between physical locations. Spectrum Virtualize supports both synchronous and asynchronous remote data replication through both Fibre Channel and IP (iSCSI) links. Through Spectrum Virtualize Global and Metro Mirror, datacenters with heterogeneous arrays can be virtualized and remote data replication can be done between the virtualization hypervisors, enabling lower cost and simplified disaster recovery. IBM Spectrum Virtualize software can be used in conjunction with SVC or Storwize family appliances, where replication can be set up between Spectrum Virtualize running in standard appliances and Spectrum Virtualize software deployed on standard Intel servers. IBM Spectrum Virtualize is integrated with several leading disaster recovery solutions in the market today, including VMware DRS, Site Recovery Manager 6.1, and Microsoft Azure Site Recovery.
Encryption: For improved data security and confidentiality, encryption is available. Encryption can be applied to virtualized storage arrays even if the virtualized array doesn't have encryption capabilities. Encrypted volumes are transparent to applications, easing implementation and operation.
High availability: IBM Spectrum Virtualize software supports Stretched Cluster and HyperSwap to deliver high availability to mission-critical environments. Spectrum Virtualize Stretch Cluster is a geographically distributed (up to 300 km distance), highly available clustered storage setup that, unlike in classical mirroring, logical LUNs are readable and writable on both sides (tandem) at the same time. This functionality can be combined with Live Partition Mobility or VMotion to avoid bulk data transport during a metro- distance virtual server motion. IBM Spectrum Virtualize Hyperswap offers the ability to seamlessly fail over data access between geographically dispersed I/O groups or clusters. As with Stretched Cluster, both sides accept simultaneous writes, but write cache data is mirrored locally in both sites as I/O groups are kept together. Hyperswap can be combined with Live Partition Mobility or VMotion for maximized application availability.
iSCSI Virtualization: IBM Spectrum Virtualize software includes the capability to virtualize iSCSI attached storage devices, in addition to Fibre Channel SANs. See the Systems Storage Interoperability Center for supported iSCSI disk arrays.
Spectrum Virtualize software will be orderable as an all-inclusive license, installable on supported bare metal Intel servers. The software will be a self-contained binary that includes all features, options, GUIs, and CLIs supported in SVC. The first supported server available on the general availability date is the Lenovo x3650 M5 server. See the corequisite section for associated adapter and software requirements and the Statement of Direction section for IBM's intention to support additional Intel servers.
Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only uses Differential Licensing to align the cost of licenses with customer use cases. In Differential Licensing, licenses are measured per Storage Capacity Unit (SCU) which is defined in terms of the category of the storage capacity:
- Category 1: Flash and solid-state drives (SSDs)
- Category 2: Serial-attached SCSI (SAS) drives, Fibre Channel drives, and systems using
- Category 3 drives with advanced architectures to deliver high-end storage performance Category 3: Near Line SAS (NL-SAS) and Serial ATA (SATA) drives
Any storage use case that is not listed above is classified as Category 1.
For each SCU, the following number of terabytes (TB) by storage classification is applicable:
- 1 SCU equates to 1.00 TB usable of Category 1
- 1 SCU equates to 1.18 TB usable of Category 2
- 1 SCU equates to 4.00 TB usable of Category 3
When calculating the count of SCUs per Category, fractions must be rounded up to the next higher integer number.
For the Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only license, a sufficient number of SCUs is required to cover actual managed disk capacity consumed.
A terabyte is 2 to the 40th power bytes.
Example 1): Customer with 42 TB usable of FlashSystem 9000 for high performance use cases, 400 TB usable in SAS drives for Enterprise use cases, and 800 TB usable in NL-SAS drives for low cost use cases in a Hybrid Storage array would calculate for Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only License SCUs as follows:
TB TB SCU usable usable per SCU ---------- ------ ------ --- Category 1 42 1 42 Category 2 400 1.18 339 Category 3 800 4 200 Total 1242 581
Example 2): Customer with 10 TB usable of FlashSystem 9000 for high-performance use cases, 20 TB usable in SSDs for high performance use cases, 2,400 TB usable in NL-SAS drives for low cost use cases in a Hybrid Storage array, and 200 TB usable in SAS drives for Enterprise use cases in a second Disk Storage array would calculate for Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only License SCUs as follows:
TB TB SCU usable usable per SCU ---------- ------ ------ --- Category 1 300 1 30 Category 2 200 1.18 170 Category 3 2400 4 600 Total 2630 800
Example 3): Customer with 906 TB usable of XIV for Enterprise use cases; and 300 TB usable in NL-SAS drives for low cost use cases in a second Disk Storage array. As per Differential Licensing Category definition, XIV use case is Category 2, calculations for Spectrum Virtualize as Software Only SCUs are as follows:
TB TB SCU usable usable per SCU ---------- ------ ------ --- Category 1 0 1 0 Category 2 906 1.18 768 Category 3 300 4 75 Total 1206 843
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V8.1.3
Block deduplication increases the efficiency of data storage by eliminating duplicate copies of data. The deduplication process identifies unique chunks of data or byte patterns, and stores a signature of the chunk for reference when writing new data chunks. If the new chunk's signature matches an existing signature, the new chunk is replaced with a small reference that points to the stored chunk. The same byte pattern may occur many times resulting in the amount of data that must be stored being greatly reduced.
Storwize deduplication will be performed between deduplicated volume copies within a data-reduction pool. RESTful API support allows users to easily automate common tasks with industry standard tools. RESTful API support is available to interface with the Command Line Interface (CLI), general task commands (such as Create vDisk), various views normally available via the CLI, and secure authentication to the Spectrum Virtualize family.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A US Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be found on the IBM Accessibility website.
Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software V7.7.1 is capable as of September 9, 2016, when used in accordance with IBM's associated documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it. A US Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) can be found on the IBM Accessibility website.
Back to top
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software Only requires at least one pair of supported Intel Servers. Supported configurations of Lenovo and Supermicro servers can be found at the IBM Spectrum Virtualize software support website.
IBM Spectrum Virtualize software only V8 (5725-Z61) has the same software prerequisites as IBM SAN Volume Controller V7.8.1.
IBM includes one year of software maintenance with each program
license acquired. The initial period of software maintenance can be
extended by the purchase of a renewal option when ordered through
Passport Advantage or Passport Advantage Express.
Note: IBM Spectrum Virtualize software can only be ordered through Passport Advantage. All software maintenance renewals will be managed and invoiced through Passport Advantage.
Back to top
Planning for, and provision of, the power and environmental support of the required IBM Spectrum Virtualize product, including its storage engines, is a customer responsibility.
Planning considerations for IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software are listed in the respective product's IBM Knowledge Center, which is available at IBM Spectrum Virtualize software only.
Customers with a 5641-Z61 license are responsible to combine the total terabytes managed for each function from individual SVC License Manager (cluster) reports to ensure they are within the enterprise license entitlement (within that country) for each function.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
For further information regarding currently supported environments and operating guidelines, go to the respective support website.
- Storwize V7000
- Storwize V5000
- Storwize V3700
- Storwize V3500
- IBM FlashSystem V840
- IBM FlashSystem V9000
Back to top
No publications are shipped with these programs.
IBM Publications Center
Hard copies of selected publications are available for a fee from the IBM Publications Center, as well as free softcopy publications. The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalogue of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. A large number of publications are available on-line in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded.
Back to top
IBM Spectrum Virtualize Software can use an existing LDAP for authentication (for example, interfacing with Microsoft Active Directory).
Use of supplementary antivirus software is recommended, but not required.
Back to top
(R), (TM), * Trade-mark or registered trade-mark of International Business Machines Corporation.
** Company, product, or service name may be a trade-mark or service mark of others.
© IBM Corporation 2020.