IBM 4247 Model A00 Serial Matrix Printer
IBM Europe Middle East Africa - Last revised on March 2, 1999
Last revised on March 2, 1999.
See final section for details of availability and limitations.
IBM is extending its serial impact printer family with the announcement of the IBM 4247 Printer, a heavy-duty serial impact matrix printer capable of printing high speeds of 700 characters per second (CPS) and providing new multiple forms paper handling capabilities.
The IBM 4247 Model A00 Printer will include RS-232/RS-422 serial and Centronics PC parallel attachment capability and will support the IBM Personal Printer (PPDS) and Epson FX datastreams.
The IBM 4247 is an ideal print solution for applications in environments such as IBM S/390 Mainframe Server, IBM AS/400 (R), IBM RISC System/6000 (R), the IBM Personal System/2 (R) or IBM Personal Computer, and local area networks (LANs).
The IBM 4247 Printer is a general purpose printer and can be used for printing most applications. Some examples are: data processing, invoices, office or internal business documents as well as for printing bar codes, labels and multi-part forms. These applications are commonly used in most industries, but are especially popular in the Manufacturing and Service Sector industries such as distribution, insurance, finance, health care, retail, and wholesale.
The 4247 Printer model announced today is:
- Model A00 -- 700 CPS, Serial/Parallel (ASCII)
The 4247-A00 can be LAN attached via the Network Print Server (NPS) features attached to the parallel port for the ASCII datastreams or the i-data 7913 attached to the Twinax or Coax port for the IPDS datastreams.
9-Volt AC Power Supply Adapter
When the Network Printer Server - Ethernet 10BaseT (feature code #4164) is installed, a no charge 9-Volt AC Power supply adapter is required. The 9-Volt AC Power supply adapter can be ordered either as an initial order or MES with one of the following specify codes.
US Plug Type 7801 UK Plug Type 7802 European Plug Type 7803 Japanese Plug Type 7804
12-Volt AC Power Supply Adapter
When any feature in the following list is installed, a 12-volt AC Power supply adapter is required.
- The Network Print Server Ethernet 10Base2 (feature code #4165), or
- The Network Print Server Token Ring Media Type 1 (feature code #4121), or
- The Network Print Server Token Ring Media Type 3 (feature code #4124)
The no charge 12-volt AC Power supply adapter can be ordered, either as an initial order or as an MES, with one of the following specify feature codes:
US Plug Type 7701 UK Plug Type 7702 European Plug Type 7703 Japanese Plug Type 7704
(TM) Trademark of the International Business Machines Corporation.
(R) Registered trademark of the International Business Machines Corporation.
Planned Availability Date: September 29, 1995.
Planned Availability Date for feature 4015 (ASF): December 29, 1995.
Description Machine(s) Model(s) Feature -------------------- ---------- -------- ------- Serial Matrix Printer 4247 A00 Additional Tractor Assembly 4002 Automatic Sheet Feed(ASF) 4015 (includes one input bin) Additional Input Bin for ASF 4016 (maximum of 2 additional bins) 9-Volt AC Power Supply Adapter US Plug Type 7801 UK Plug Type 7802 European Plug Type 7803 Japanese Plug Type 7804 12-Volt AC Power Supply Adapter US Plug Type 7701 UK Plug Type 7702 European Plug Type 7703 Japanese Plug Type 7704 Cables: PC Parallel Cable (6 ft) 5612 PC Attachment RS-232 (20 ft) 9386 PC Attachment RS-422 (50 ft) 8652 AS/400 Workstation Controller RS-232 (40 ft) 4342 AS/400 Workstation Controller RS-422 (100 ft) 4346 RISC System/6000 RS-232 Serial Cable Kit 3741 Voltage Requirement: Low Voltage (100 - 120 VAC,50/60 Hz),(no charge) 9200 High Voltage (200 - 240 VAC,50/60 Hz),(no charge) 9201
- Heavy duty serial/parallel attachment serial matrix printer
- Includes the following design features:
- Exceptional forms handling flexibility
- Continuous form tractor path and manual cut sheet paper path standard
- Second continuous form paper path optional
- Dual tractor path paper parking
- Configuration option for continuous forms in pull mode
- Four tractor (push/pull) capability for maximum feeding reliability
- Forms tractor interchangability between dual paths
- Up to three bin Automatic Sheet Feeder (ASF) optional
- Up to 8-part forms
- Document-on-demand/Zero tear off
- Auto paper loading assist
- Automatic Forms Thickness Adjustment
- Straight primary tractor path
- Utilizes 18-wire print head
- Includes resident OCR fonts
- Certified Postnet bar code
- Allows operator panel menu lockout to prevent datastream override of lines per inch and characters per inch
- EPA Energy Star compliant
- Provides 64K byte standard input buffer
- Quiet operation
- 16 character Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) operator panel
- Heavy duty - Up to 20 million characters per month duty cycle
- Implements impressive print speeds
- 700 Characters Per Second (CPS) DP Quality Mode
- 350 Characters Per Second (CPS) DP Text Quality Mode
- 175 Characters Per Second (CPS) NLQ Mode
- Delivers auto attachment (port) switching between serial and parallel interfaces
- Includes Operator panel-selectable ASCII datastream emulations: Native IBM 4247, IBM Proprinter III XL, IBM Personal Printer 2381, and Epson FX
- Exceptional forms handling flexibility
FLEXIBLE FORMS HANDLING
The IBM 4247 Printer provides exceptional forms handling flexibility with one continuous form tractor path and manual cutsheet being standard. A second continuous forms tractor may be added to provide dual continuous forms paper paths. The second path may be used by simply tearing off and parking the paper from the first path. Another forms handling option allows for up to 3 bins of cutsheet paper in an automatic sheet feed (ASF).
For customers, this remarkable forms handling flexibility can translate into a single printer peforming work which formerly required two printers or more. Customers can load different forms into each tractor path and then enable the path which corresponds to the desired print job. Alternatively, the tractor paths can be parked to allow the use of the ASF or manual cut sheet functions.
The IBM 4247-A00 Printer fulfills the requirements of a dedicated, highly reliable continuous forms impact printer in grand fashion. In fact, in multi-part forms applications the 4247 handles up to 8-part forms. The ability to add and configure the optional dual tractor paths into a 4 tractor (push/pull) combination, providing a straight tractor path for stiff or heavy forms, gives customers the most reliable forms feeding. In addition, the optional Automatic Sheet Feeder (ASF) provides up to three-input bins each with a capacity of 120 sheets for cut sheet. The first bin of the ASF will also handle envelopes.
With automatic attachment switching between the parallel and serial port and the ability to switch between tractor paths manually or via software commands (with dual tractor configuration), customers can load each of the tractor paths with a different form type and alternately send a job to either one. As compared to existing IBM serial matrix printers, the IBM 4247 provides advantages and additional solutions with respect to print speed, duty cycle, forms handling, and datastream support.
The new IBM 4247 is a complementary product to the existing IBM 4232-302. Choose the IBM 4232 when the primary focus is price or IBM 4224/4230 compatibility. However if the primary focus is paper handling or performance, you should choose the IBM 4247.
Requirement IBM 4232 IBM 4247 ----------- -------- -------- Print Speed x Price x Price/Performance x Multiple form types x 4224/423x ASCII Compatibility x 4224/423x Look and Feel x 4224/423x Supplies Compatibility x High Monthly Print Volumes x Print Quality x Acoustics x
The publications listed below are shipped with the product. Additional copies (English only) are available immediately.
Title Order Number ----------------------------- ------------ User's Guide SA24-4404 Quick Reference Guide SA24-4405 Maintenance Manual SA24-4400 (1)
(1) The Maintenance Manual will be shipped as a part of the ship group through December 1995. Customers, IBM Customer Engineers, and Third Party Maintainers may order MIM's through the "Puborder" or MES processes for a charge. After December 1995, the MIM's will be withdrawn and no longer shipped with each machine. They will still be available through the "Puborder" or MES processes for a charge.
IBM Systems Library Subscription Service (SLSS) is available.
At machine general availability, the following publications will be available and will be shipped with each machine.
- The User's Guide containing the following sections: Printer Setup, Operations, Site Planning and Programming.
- The Maintenance Documents Package, SA24-4400, includes the Maintenance Information Manual, Maintenance Analysis Procedures, and the Parts Catalog.
- The Safety Information booklet, SA24-4406, in English and twelve translated languages, will be shipped with each machine.
- The Quick Reference Guide will be shipped with each machine in the designated language for the country.
Language/ Quick Model User's Guide Reference Guide --------- ------------ --------------- Canadian French/French SA11-1379 SA11-1385 Danish SA24-4404 (English) S511-5584 Dutch SA14-5932 SA14-5933 English SA24-4404 SA24-4405 Finnish SB11-8907 SB11-8919 German SA12-4563 SA12-4564 Italian SA13-1887 SA13-1888 Japanese SA88-6261 SA88-6262 Norwegian SA24-4404 (English) SA15-4474 Brazilian Portuguese SA17-0432 SA17-0433 Spanish SA10-9352 SA10-9353 Swedish SA24-4404 (English) SA14-3020
Contact your Country IBM Marketing Representative for all applicable course information.
This product uses only existing attachment interfaces. The IBM 4247 Printer uses standard interfaces (that is, RS-232 and RS-422 Serial, and Centronics PC Parallel). It has no unique requirements for these interfaces.
Dimensions in base configuration: Width: 679.5mm (26.75 inches) Depth: 400.0mm (15.75 inches) Height: 311.2mm (12.25 inches) Weight: 22.70kg (50.0 lbs) Dimensions with ASF installed (fully configured): Width: 679.5mm (26.75 inches) Depth: 673.1mm (26.5 inches) Height: 431.8mm (17.0 inches) Weight: 27.81kg (61.25lbs)
Voltages: 100 - 127 VAC single phase grounded 50/60 Hz 200 - 240 VAC single phase grounded 50/60 Hz Heat Output: 20 Watts (68 BTU/hr) -- Idle 110 Watts (376 BTU/hr) -- Normal operation 140 Watts (478 BTU/hr) -- Maximum (200V - 240V) 150 Watts (512 BTU/hr) -- Maximum (100V - 127V)
4247 in continuous forms and manual cutsheet applications:
Temperature: 10 to 40.6 degrees C (50 to 105 degrees F) Relative Humidity: 8 to 80 percent Max Wet Bulb: 26.7 degrees C (80 degrees F) 4247 in automatic sheet feed applications:
Temperature: 15.6 to 32.2 degrees C (60 to 90 degrees F) Relative Humidity: 8 to 80 percent Max Wet Bulb: 22.8 degrees C (73 degrees F)
Noise Emission: Operating Idle --------- -------- 4247 base printer: Sound power level (LWAd): 7.0 bels 5.5 bels Sound pressure level (LpAm): 55 dBA (1) 30 dBA (1) Measured in DP Text Mode
The IBM 4247 meets the requirements to be classified as FCC Class A.
The RS-232C serial interface will attach to:
- IBM AS/400 ASCII workstation controller
- 3174 controller via the Asynchronous Emulation Adapter
- IBM 9221 via the ASCII Subsystem Controller (feature codes 6245, 6246, 6247, 6248)
- RISC System/6000
- IBM PS/2 and IBM Personal Computer COMx ports
- LAN Attachment (i.e., Token Ring or Ethernet(1)) via the Novell(2)-certified IBM 4033 LAN adapter, and the Intel NetPort(3) or directly to the LAN server
- IBM-compatible PCs utilizing an RS-232C interface
The RS-422A serial interface will attach to:
- RISC System/6000
- AS/400 ASCII workstation controller
- RISC System/6000 workstations (excluding POWERServer(TM) 930)
- IBM PS/2 and IBM Personal Computer LPTx ports and to a Token-Ring or Ethernet LAN via one of these computers
- LAN attachment via the Novell-certified IBM 4033 LAN adapter, Axis(4) Token Ring or Ethernet Network Print Servers or Intel NetPort or directly to the Lan Server
- IBM-compatible PC's utilizing the Centronics Parallel interface
- AS/400 twinax terminals including IBM 348x InfoWindow II display stations, IBM 3477 InfoWindow display station, and IBM 3197 display workstation
- 3482 InfoWindow II display
(1) - Ethernet is a trademark of Xerox Corporation . (2) - Novell is a trademark of Novell, Inc. (3) - NetPort is a trademark of Intel Corporation (4) - Axis is a Registered Trademark of Axis Communications AB
The IBM 4247 Printer can use the IBM Personal Printer Data Stream (PPDS) in IBM 4202 Proprinter III XL or IBM 2381 Personal Printer emulations by choosing the corresponding device driver for the systems listed below as supporting the PPDS datastream.
In Epson FX emulation mode the IBM 4247 Printer can print files coded for the Epson FX-1050 using the Epson ESC/P(2) printer control language.
Also, native IBM 4247 Printer support is provided for the Host Print Transform function in the IBM AS/400 and IBM RS/6000 systems. The following systems support the IBM 4247 Printer:
System Software - Minimum Level Emulation ---------- ------------------------- ----------------- IBM PS/2 and OS/2 2.1 (R) PPDS or Epson FX IBM Personal OS/2 LAN Server 3.0 PPDS or Epson FX Computers OS/2 Communications Manager/2 1.0 PPDS or Epson FX DOS 5.0 PPDS or Epson FX Microsoft ** Windows ** 3.0 PPDS or Epson FX IBM RISC AIX Version 3.2.5 PPDS or Epson FX System/6000 (1) IBM AS/400 (1)(2) OS/400(TM) V2.3 Host Print PPDS or Epson FX (3) Transform OS/400 V2.3 PPDS or Epson FX PC Support/400 W/S Function V2.2 PPDS or Epson FX Client Access/400 V3.1 PPDS or Epson FX Personal Communication for PPDS or Epson FX AS/400 for Windows V4.0 Personal Communication for PPDS or Epson FX AS/400 for OS/2 V4.0 IBM 5250 Enhanced Emulation PPDS or Epson FX for Windows V1.1 IBM 5250 Enhanced Emulation PPDS or Epson FX for DOS V2.4 IBM S/390 3174 with ASCII Emulation Adapter PPDS or Epson FX Mainframe (AEA) Release A5.4 or later, Server Release B4.0 or later, or Release C2.1 or later 3482 InfoWindow II display PPDS or Epson FX IBM 9221 ASCII Subsystem Controller PPDS or Epson FX Processor (Feature codes 6245, 6246, 6247, 6248) ** Product or company name is a trademark or registered trademark of its respective holder. (1) In addition to the emulation support defined above, files providing native IBM 4247 Printer support are shipped on diskette for the Host Print Transform function in OS/400 and for AIX/6000 to enable the enhanced function of the printer. (2) Host selection of the print quality is limited to two of the three qualities (DP and NLQ) featured by the printer when AS/400 attached. (3) Host selection of paper paths when using the ASF feature is limited to the ASF paths plus zero or one continuous form path when attached to an AS/400. The second continuous form path may be selected from the operator panel.
IBM 4247 Printer IBM OS/2, IBM AIX, and Novell NetWare LAN Operating System Support:
The IBM 4247 Printer may connect to the following via LAN attachment:
System Software - Minumum Level Emulation ---------- ------------------------- --------------------- Token-Ring OS/2 Lan Server 3.0 PPDS or Epson FX Ethernet OS/2 Lan Server 3.0 PPDS or Epson FX Token-Ring IBM AIX Ver. 3.1.5 PPDS or Epson FX Ethernet IBM AIX Ver. 3.1.5 PPDS or Epson FX Token-Ring Novell NetWare 2.2, 3.11, 4.1 PPDS or Epson FX Ethernet Novell NetWare 2.2, 3.11, 4.1 PPDS or Epson FXIBM 4247 Printer Limitations:
The 4247 has the following limitations:
- The front continuous forms paper path will handle up to 8-part forms. The rear path is limited to a maximum of 4-part forms.
- The following restrictions apply when using IBM 4247
native escape commands to print bar code:
- Current bar code applications that use barcode escape commands must be modified to use IBM 4247 native bar code commands.
- Bar code printing is limited to picket orientation and 3 to 1 wide to narrow ratio when printed using native 4247 escape commands.
The 4247 has the following additional limitations when emulating previous printers.
- The following commands/functions
are not supported when replacing or adding to existing IBM
4224 (Model 301, 302, 3E3), 4230 (Model 4xx or 5xx) or 4232 Model 302.
- Begin/End Overstrike
- Begin/End Understrike
- Select Presentation Media
- Set Presentation Position
- Initialize/Delete Local Font
- Select Local Character Set
- Set Vertical Units
- Graphic Segment List
- Bar Code
- Graphic Mapping Control
- Read Printer Status
- The following functions are not supported when using the
Epson FX 1050 driver or IBM 2381 driver in OS/2 or Windows:
- Bar code selection or printing
- Automatic Sheet Feed (ASF) bin selection
- Load/Park form paths
- Datastream emulation switching
- Metric vertical Line spacing.
ASCII Code Pages
The IBM 4247 Printer will provide non-English characters in the same quality level, pitches, and fonts as English characters.
The 4247 will support the following resident ASCII Code Pages and Character Sets:
| ASCII | | LANGUAGE | GCSGID | CPGID | | Arabic X/A | 994 | 864 Canadian French | 993 | 863 Cyrillic | 985 | 855 Danish/Norwegian | 995 | 865 English (UK)/Ireland | 980 | 850 Finnish/Swedish | 980 | 850 French/French Azerty | 980 | 850 German | 980 | 850 Greek (new) | 998 | 869 Greek (old) | 981 | 851 Hebrew | 992 | 862 Icelandic | 991 | 861 Italian | 980 | 850 Latin 2/ROECE | 982 | 852 Netherlands | 980 | 850 OCR-A (1) | 968 | 876 OCR-B (1) | 969 | 877 PC Multilingual | 980 | 850 Portuguese | 990 | 860 Spanish | 980 | 850 Spanish Speaking | 980 | 850 Swiss | 980 | 850 Thai | 966 | 874 Turkish | 987 | 857 USA/Canada | 919 | 437 Extended Arabic | 1177 | 1046 Farsi | 1285 | 1098 Epson's Graphics | | 1098 Epson's Italics | | 1098 Note (1): OCR-A and OCR-B fonts can only be printed in NLQ print mode at 10 characters per inch.FONT SUPPORT
The IBM 4247 Printer will provide print quality levels, character spacings, and character configurations (resident fonts) as follows:
- DP mode Gothic and DP mode Italic: 10, 12, 15, 17.1 and 20 CPI
- DP Text mode and DP Text mode Italic Courier: 10, 12, 15, 17.1 and 20 CPI
- NLQ mode and NLQ mode Italic Courier or Gothic: 10, 12, 15, 17.1 and 20 CPI
- DP mode and DP mode Italic Essay: Proportional Spacing
- DP Text mode and DP Text mode Italic Essay: Proportional Spacing
- NLQ mode and NLQ mode Italic Essay: Proportional Spacing
- Continuous Forms
The 4247 will handle up to 8-part continuous forms in the front tractor path and 4-part in the rear tractor path. The forms must meet the following specifications:
- Form weight can range from 56 grams per square meter (gsm) (15 lbs) to 150 gsm (40 lbs). Paper weights outside this range must be tested by the customer for proper operation.
- Form thickness for all parts may range from 0.08 mm (0.003 in.) to 0.64 mm (0.025 in.).
- Form width ranges from 76.2 mm (3 in.) to 431.8 mm (17 in.)
- Form length ranges from 76.2 mm (3 in.) to 609.6 mm (24 in.)
Forms less than 152.4 mm (6 in.) in length or width should be tested for satisfactory stacking and may require operator assistance.
- Manual feed
The following sizes of cutsheet paper maybe used in the manual feed: A5, A4, A3, A2, Letter, Legal and Executive.
Single or multi-part forms may be fed into the manual cut sheet path. Multi-part forms should be tested by the customer to ensure satisfactory feeding, registration and print quality. Forms for the manual feed must meet the following specifications:
- Form weight can range from 50 gsm (13.3 lbs) to 120 gsm (32 lbs). However, weights less than 75 gsm may be subject to registration problems when print in NLQ mode or graphics. Paper weights outside this range must be tested by the customer for proper operation.
- Form thickness for all parts may range from 0.08 mm (0.003 in.) to 0.64 mm (0.025 in.).
- Form width ranges from 114.3 mm (4.5 in.) to 444.5 mm (17.5 in.)
- Form length ranges from 101.6 mm (4 in.) to 609.6 mm (24 in.)
- Automatic Sheet Feed
The IBM 4247 Automatic Sheet Feeder provides an operator changeable mechanism for automatic feeding of cut sheets. It includes a stacker and one input bin. The stacker also serves as the output bin for the manual cut sheet input path. Two additional bins may be added for a total of 3 input bins. Each automatic bin holds up to 120 sheets of variable width 80 gsm (20 lb) single-part paper. Multi-part forms (only up to 3-part) can also be used. The output stacker holds up to 150 sheets of 80 gsm (20 lb) single-part paper, collated sequence. Bin selection can be controlled by the host system or from the 4247 operator panel. All operator control is from the 4247 operator panel.
Paper meeting the following specifications is acceptable for use in the ASF. All other paper must be tested by the customer for suitable performance.
- Paper sizes (single or multi-part):
ASF Bin Paper Length Paper Width -------------- ---------------------- --------------------- Bin 1 (auto) 127-356mm (5-14 in.) 153-305mm (6-12 in.) Bin 2 (auto) 228.6-356mm (9-14 in.) 153-305mm (6-12 in.) Bin 3 (auto) 279.4-356mm (11-14 in.) 153-305mm (6-12 in.) Up to 30 USA #6 (220mm - 110mm (8.66 in. x 4.33 in.)) or #10 (241.3mm x 104.8mm (9.5 in. x 4.12 in.)) envelopes with a maximum thickness of 0.52mm (0.021 in.) and a maximum thickness variation of .3mm (.012 in.) may be fed in ASF Bin 1.
- Form weight should be 60 to 100 gsm (16 to 27 lb)
- Form thickness of a single sheet should be a minimum of 0.086mm (0.0034 in.) and a maximum of 0.117mm (0.0046 in.). (Also see multi-part forms specifications).
- For optimum performance, use 75 to 90 gsm (20 to 24 lb) cotton content (25% or 50%) plain bond paper.
- Multi-part forms can be used in all ASF bins. Tolerances and environmental conditions are more critical for multi-part forms than for single sheets. All multi-part forms must be tested by the customer for suitable performance with the ASF.
- Multi-part forms used on the ASF are restricted to snap-out or top-glued forms only.
- Multi-part snap-out forms must meet the following specifications:
Pressure sensitive paper (4 sheets maximum) First sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb) 2nd/3rd sheet 40 - 60g/m2 (11 - 16 lb) Last sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb) Carbon sets (4 sheets maximum) First sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb) 2nd/3rd sheet 35 - 40g/m2 (9 - 11 lb) Last sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb) Carbon paper 25g/m2 (6.6 lb) approximate (Carbon non-coated surface must be rough.) Snap-out perforation First sheet 3 : 0.8mm 2nd/3rd sheet 7 : 0.8mm Last sheet 7 : 0.8mm (Micro-perforations allowed for first and last sheets, 72 perfs per inch recommended.)
- Multi-part top-glued forms must have a top edge that is flat, smooth, and free from any traces of glue. Form sets cut against the grain are more acceptable than sets cut with the grain.
- Paper sizes (single or multi-part):
- Automatic Sheet Feed Paper Recommendations
- Unsatisfactory paper and forms (the following are some of
the papers and forms that do not perform reliably or may cause
damage to the sheet feed mechanism):
- Coated paper
- Highly sized erasable bond
- Synthetic paper
- Some paper with a cockle finish
- Some multi-part forms not meeting specifications
- Some pressure sensitive adhesive labels
- Some chemically treated paper (ink-impregnated paper)
- Some preprinted forms requiring high registration accuracy for character location
- Card stock
- Some preprinted paper containing chemicals that contaminate the sheet feed mechanism or change the frictional characteristics of the paper
- Stapled or clipped forms
- Paper with gum surfaces, holes, perforations, cutouts or windows
- Paper with embossment height exceeding 0.5mm (0.020 in.). (Embossments must not be located within 15mm (0.59 in.) of any edge of a sheet)
- Folded documents
- Paper with curl or waviness exceeding 3mm (0.118 in.)
- Reams with edges or corners folded or bonded together
- Paper with poorly cut or rough edges
- Coated paper
- Paper used in the ASF should be new, unused, and without packaging damage.
- Paper of different types (letterhead, plain, etc.), sizes, or composition should not be mixed or interleaved in the same ASF bin.
- Paper should not be exposed to adverse temperature and humidity conditions. (Consult the manufacturer for recommended storage environment).
- Unsatisfactory paper and forms (the following are some of the papers and forms that do not perform reliably or may cause damage to the sheet feed mechanism):
The IBM 4247 Serial Matrix Printer is designated as Customer Setup (CSU). The customer is responsible for:
- Adequate site, system and other vendor preparation.
- Receipt at the customer's receiving dock and placement of the printer.
- Installation and configuration of the printer by following the instructions in the User's Guide.
- Installing and maintaining cables.
- Ordering and replacing the ribbon.
- Changing and replacing forms, including clearing jams and cleaning as appropriate.
- Using and following the problem determination procedures prior
to calling for IBM service.
A line cord is provided with the printer.
Attachment cables may be ordered at initial order time by feature code, by MES, or purchased from an IBM authorized distributor. Purchase the proper IBM cable for best results.
Feature Part Code Number ------- ------ PC Parallel Cable (6 ft) 5612 92F3176 PC Attachment RS-232 Serial (20 ft) 9386 8509386 PC Attachment RS-422 Serial (50 ft) 8652 70X8652 AS/400 Workstation Controller RS-232 (40 ft) 4342 21F4342 AS/400 Workstation Controller RS-422 (100 ft) 4346 21F4346 RISC System/6000 RS-232 Serial Cable Kit 3741 08H6957
The IBM 4247 is a Customer Setup (CSU) machine with a one-day installation allowance. All 4247-A00 features are also Customer Setup (CSU).
Accessories may be obtained from your IBM Representative. Supplies may be purchased from Lexmark International, Inc. supplies Resellers or by contacting your local Lexmark International organization.
This product uses the security and auditability features of the host hardware, software, and/or application software.
User management is responsible for evaluation, selection and implementation of security features, administrative procedures and appropriate controls in application systems and communications facilities.
Consult your IBM Marketing Representative.
This product is available from IBM under the Terms & Conditions for Purchase.
Licensed Internal Code applies: Yes
Term Lease under the IBM Terms & Conditions for Term Lease. Contact your IBM Marketing Representative for details.
The warranty period is: 12 Months.
Maintenance Charges: Annually.
Customer Set-Up: Yes
Customer Set-Up allowance is: One day
All 4247 features are customer set-up (CSU).
HOURLY SERVICE CLASS: 2
All European, Middle Eastern and African Countries.
The data in this letter is subject to the disclaimer in Letter ZS90-0112, which is available from IBM on request.
Please note this is an international announcement letter. If applicable you should also refer to your local country complementary document to check for country specific information.