Tech Preview: Powering IBM Cloud Satellite with IBM Cloud Pak System
3 min read
IBM Cloud Pak System as an IBM Cloud Satellite location.
IBM Cloud Satellite gives you the ability to use IBM Cloud anywhere—on public clouds, on-premises, or at the edge—delivered as-a-service from a single pane of glass controlled through IBM Cloud.
With IBM Cloud Satellite, you gain the flexibility to run your applications where it makes sense while still leveraging all the security and ops benefits of public cloud. Enterprise applications can run in close proximity to their data stores, reducing latency and increasing data security.
IBM Cloud Pak System
IBM Cloud Pak System is a turnkey private cloud appliance that simplifies all aspects of deploying, operating, scaling, and maintaining VM- and container-based private clouds in the data center. Using IBM Cloud Satellite with IBM Cloud Pak System makes it easy for your IT teams to bring cloud native development and operating models to enterprise applications in the security of your data center. IBM Cloud Pak System is easily configured to host one or multiple IBM Cloud Satellite locations, enabling your IT teams to achieve the following:
- Agility: IT teams can quickly deploy modern runtimes and DevOps tools for cloud native developers.
- Scalability: IBM Cloud Pak System makes it easy to add, remove, and move compute and storage resources across Satellite locations.
- High availability: Host multiple Satellite locations on a single IBM Cloud Pak System to support flexible high availability topologies for teams and business units.
- Integration: Leverage IBM Cloud Pak System's enterprise storage and ability to support both traditional VM- and container-based applications for the ideal middleware integration platform that brings together modern container-based applications and enterprise data.
- Reuse: Existing IBM Cloud Pak System customers will be able to deploy IBM Cloud Satellite locations on their current IBM Cloud Pak Systems.
Learn more about IBM Cloud Pak System here.
IBM Cloud Pak System features
IBM Cloud Pak System offers an end-to-end integrated turnkey appliance experience with the following enterprise-grade features:
- Out-of-the-box locations for IBM Cloud Satellite
- Single point of contact for support of the entire appliance solution, including hardware and software
- 24x7x365 support, with on-site maintenance provided by IBM
- Fully redundant compute, storage, networking, and management, with no single point of failure
- Single fix pack upgrade to the entire appliance, with no downtime to running workloads
- Scale compute and storage independently as needed
- Out-of-the-box security standards and access control for Satellite locations
Partners and ecosystem
IBM Cloud Pak System has a large third-party ecosystem that is skilled and trained to manage IBM Cloud Pak Systems. Clients can leverage IBM Services, Partners, or System Integrators to run and manage IBM Cloud Pak System and IBM Cloud Satellite locations.
Key concepts and components
Satellite extends IBM Cloud with the new concept of a "location." Locations are infrastructure outside IBM public cloud where you can run IBM Cloud services and applications. IBM Cloud Pak System serves as an out-of-the-box location for IBM Cloud Satellite:
A location is populated by a group of Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts that provide capacity to run your applications and IBM Cloud service instances. IBM Cloud Pak System makes it easy to deploy Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts for use with IBM Cloud Satellite. A dedicated interface on IBM Cloud Pak System creates hosts and automatically registers the hosts with IBM Cloud Satellite:
Once the location has been populated with hosts, it is ready for use with IBM Cloud services:
With IBM Cloud Pak System, you can manage the IBM Cloud Satellite hosts and capacity utilization of the system. Add new hosts to the location at any time to deploy more IBM Cloud services. In addition, IBM Cloud Pak System can easily be expanded with additional compute and storage resources to provide more capacity for hosts as your business grows:
Launch with IBM Cloud Satellite
IBM Cloud Satellite launches later this year. If you'd like to learn more and are interested in the upcoming beta program, please sign up today.