More than ever, customers need seamless interoperability between on-premises, cloud and edge solutions through a hybrid cloud model.
With Terraform tooling and IBM Cloud LinuxONE Virtual Servers for VPC, enterprises are able to actualize and scale up this model quickly and reliably.
Benefits of an “Infrastructure as Code” tool
Terraform is a popular open source “Infrastructure as Code” (IaC) tool. Optimal for a hybrid cloud strategy, it allows programmers to spin up infrastructure safely and efficiently across compute environments and reprovision infrastructure in response to configuration changes following periods of high demand or disaster. In addition to supporting a hybrid cloud strategy and robust backup and restore functionalities, Terraform is also a key component of Agile and DevOps practices, such as continuous integration, and continuous deployment.
Overall, Terraform helps developers to do the following:
- Increase speed of automation across infrastructure resources.
- Count on the reliability and order of IaC functionalities.
- Avoid configuration drift, which occurs when the configuration that provisioned the virtual environment no longer matches the actual environment.
IBM Cloud LinuxONE Virtual Server for VPC
Since integrating with IBM Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), IBM Cloud LinuxONE Virtual Server for VPC now supports Terraform while offering developers a performant, scalable and cost-effective virtual environment. LinuxONE Virtual Servers are the first and only s390x architecture virtual server in VPC. They offer consistent APIs and VPC networking capabilities, thereby offering seamless and unified developer experiences.
VPC offers a “best-of-both-worlds” cloud computing solution, with advantages from public cloud and private cloud. Given these capabilities, LinuxONE Virtual Servers for VPC have several important use cases to offer clients:
- Hybrid cloud integration for those looking to connect on-premises and cloud workloads through a hybrid cloud model
- DevOps and CI/CD for clients looking to leverage the elasticity of cloud with DevOps and continuous integration/continuous delivery
- Development and testing for those looking to do application dev/test with the security and reliability of a s390x architecture
- Backup and restore capabilities for clients aiming to create backup environments on cloud for their on-premises workloads
Terraform helps developers unlock these key LinuxONE Virtual Server use cases by allowing them to automate the installation and deployment of their virtualized environments:
Cost-effective and time-efficient
With LinuxONE Virtual Servers and Terraform, developers can efficiently and securely scale up their infrastructure environments, helping shift their focus away from resource consumption, instances of configuration drift and other mishaps associated with long-winded manual scaling processes. Instead, they will be able to focus on developing solutions that address their customers’ needs. If developers want to capture these benefits and increase the efficiency of their DevOps pipeline practices, while decreasing the time of their release cycles in a secure and reliable manner, they can now use the IBM Cloud LinuxONE Virtual Server for VPC with Terraform.
- Getting started with Terraform on IBM Cloud
- You can also learn more about the other members of the IBM Cloud Hyper Protect portfolio:
- Check out the IBM Cloud Catalog for a 30-day free trial of these services