IBM Direct Link 2.0 lets you create private connections between your remote network environments and IBM Cloud deployments.
When connecting to IBM Cloud through a Direct Link Connect with Megaport, the Virtual Cross Connect (VXC) forms the Layer 2 component of the connection. Layer 3 BGP connectivity is established directly between the customer router and IBM Cloud.
Creating a connection to IBM Direct Link Connect
To set up IBM Direct Link with Megaport, you will first create the Direct Link Connect in the IBM console. Then you need to create a VXC from your Port to the IBM Direct Link cloud location.
Design considerations when setting up your Direct Link to IBM Cloud:
- Redundancy: Megaport supports redundant connections. In each of the Direct Link peering locations, Megaport has established two diverse Direct Links with IBM Cloud. In the Megaport Portal, the Ports are noted as Port 1 and Port 2. A redundant configuration requires two or more VXCs.
- Local and global routing options: The Local Routing option provides access to data centers with the same three-letter prefix as the Point of Presence (such as DAL, AMS and MEL). The Global Routing option is required as an add-on to reach data centers outside of those locations. For details on local and global routing options, see the IBM Cloud documentation.
- Port speed: Port speed options for IBM Direct Link Connect are 50 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 200 Mbps, 500 Mbps, 1 Gbps, 2 Gbps or 5 Gbps.
- Megaport-enabled Direct Link 2.0 locations:
- North America: Ashburn, Chicago, Dallas, San Jose, Toronto
- Europe: Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Paris
- Australia: Sydney
- Asia: Osaka, Tokyo
Steps to create an IBM Direct Link Connect through Megaport
- Log in to IBM Cloud.
- From the IBM Cloud menu, select Interconnectivity:
- From the Interconnectivity menu, select Direct Link:
- Click Order Direct Link:
- Select Direct Link Connect:
- Specify the configuration and location details for this connection.
- In the Type section, choose All.
- In the Sites section, choose a Megaport-enabled location. The complete list of Megaport-enabled locations is available in the Providers and Locations section of the IBM documentation:
- Specify the following configuration details:
- Provider: Select Megaport as the network provider from the drop-down list. Megaport will only appear as a Provider if you chose a Megaport-enabled location in Step 8.
- Speed: Select a port speed from 50 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 200 Mbps, 500 Mbps, 1 Gbps, 2 Gbps or 5 Gbps.
- BGP and connections: Specify the BGP ASN for the customer device:
- Specify a BGP ASN for your on-premises location:
- From the drop-down, select Classic Infrastructure or VPC. Selecting a VPC requires a pre-established VPC to attach to the Direct Link Connect:
- Acknowledge the terms and conditions and click Create:
- After the Direct Link is created, copy the Service key to use in the Megaport Portal to provision a VXC to the IBM Direct Link Connect peering location:
Steps to create a VXC to the IBM Direct Link Connect
- In the Megaport Portal, go to the Services page and select the Port you want to use. If you haven’t already created a Port, see Creating a Port.
- Add an IBM Cloud connection for the Port. If this is the first connection for the Port, click the IBM Cloud tile.The tile is a shortcut to the configuration page. Alternatively, click +Connection, click Cloud and click IBM Cloud:
- Select the IBM Direct Link location where the peer will be set up with IBM Cloud and click Next. This destination should match the peer location selected in the IBM Cloud:
- Specify connection details:
- Connection Name: Enter the IBM Direct Link Service Key.
- Service Level Reference (optional): Specify a unique identifying number for the VXC to be used for billing purposes, such as a cost center number or a unique customer ID. The service level reference number appears for each service under the Product section of the invoice. You can also edit this field for an existing service.
- Rate Limit: This is the speed of your connection in Mbps. Match the port speed created in the IBM console for the Direct Link service.
- Preferred A-End VLAN: Optionally, specify an unused VLAN ID for this connection. This must be a unique VLAN ID on this Port and can range from 2 to 4093. If you specify a VLAN ID that is already in use, the system displays the next available VLAN number. The VLAN ID must be unique to proceed with the order. If you don’t specify a value, Megaport will assign one. Alternatively, you can click Untag to remove the VLAN tagging for this connection. The untagged option limits you to only one VXC deployed on this Port:
- Click Next. A summary page appears that includes the monthly cost:
- Click Back to make changes or click Add VXC. Once you have finished this configuration, you can configure additional VXCs or proceed through the ordering process.
- Review the details and click Order:
- Click Order Now to complete the ordering process:
After IBM verifies and approves the inbound IBM VXC, the IBM Direct Link Connect status changes to Provisioned and the Megaport VXC is active.
Learn more about IBM Cloud Direct Link.