Announcing Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops (CVAD) on IBM Cloud Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
2 min read
Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops for IBM Cloud is now available on IBM Cloud Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) powered by Intel Xeon servers.
This enhancement unlocks opportunities for part-time workloads in the cloud, provides fast machine provisioning in minutes and dynamically deploys applications and desktop machines with Autoscale. Existing Citrix customers hosting virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) on-premises can migrate or burst to VPC and begin delivering Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS). Administrators can choose any VPC instance profile in a machine catalog to provide persistent and non-persistent desktop and application experiences.
Greenfield opportunities are another excellent cloud entry point requiring Digital Workplace leaders to build a DaaS business case clearly articulating the Return on Investment (ROI) based on three key considerations:
- Cost savings by centralizing applications and data for risk reduction and compliance controls
- Improved operational efficiency by enabling quick desktop replacement, better desktop performance and business continuity
- Increased revenue with time-to-market gains by enabling device choice, working anywhere and onboarding new users in minutes
What is CVAD for IBM Cloud?
Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops (CVAD) for IBM Cloud is a self-managed DaaS cloud pattern with built-in automation for sizing, ordering and provisioning. Citrix and IBM worked to give the customer the best user experience and ease of deployment. We will continue to support CVAD on Classic infrastructure with Bare Metal Servers and the VMware Solutions. The graphic below is the user interface tile from the IBM Cloud catalog showing the two infrastructure options, with VPC being the new release:
Benefits of DaaS
With the recent increase in remote and hybrid work, DaaS plays a pivotal role by providing virtualized desktops and applications to workers entirely from a remotely hosted experience, such as a public cloud. It eliminates the need for businesses to purchase the physical infrastructure — instead, functioning through subscription and usage-based payment structures. DaaS drives risk reduction, enhances flexibility and improves productivity by providing the following benefits:
- Enable employees to work at multiple locations — home, office and on the road — and support Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies.
- Streamline compliance and security audits for PCI, HIPPA, GDPR and SOC.
- Quickly onboard new users like developers and testers, contractors, seasonal workers and merger and acquisition (M&A) employees
- Ensure business continuity and improve performance and support issues with your current VDI implementation.
- Rapidly scale to meet additional workloads and allow employees to be functional within minutes.
It is difficult and time-consuming to stand up VDI infrastructure in the cloud to implement DaaS. IBM has partnered with Citrix to automate and accelerate the deployment of market-leading DaaS solutions like CVAD while using IBM’s enterprise-grade cloud infrastructure.