Check out the exciting new features in IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service version 1.16.2.
We are excited to announce the availability of Kubernetes version 1.16.2 for your clusters that are running in IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service. With the Kubernetes service, you can easily upgrade your clusters without the need for deep Kubernetes knowledge.
When you deploy new clusters, the default Kubernetes version remains 1.14; you can also choose to immediately deploy version 1.16. Learn more about deploying clusters.
Kubernetes version 1.16
In addition to all the great Kubernetes features provided in this release, IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service version 1.16.2 also includes the following:
- Calico updated to version 3.9.2
- containerd updated to version 1.3.0 and configured to use the
- CoreDNS updated to version 1.6.2 and configured for improved cluster DNS availability
- Kubernetes DNS autoscaler updated to version 1.7.1
- Kubernetes Dashboard updated to version 2.0.0-beta5
- Added Kubernetes Dashboard metrics scraper that works with
metrics-serverto provide metrics for the dashboard
- Enabled Kubernetes service account token volume projection
See the IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service version 1.16 changelog for details.
Kubernetes support and updates
IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service now supports the latest three versions of Kubernetes: 1.14, 1.15, and 1.16. Clusters that are running Kubernetes versions 1.12 and earlier are unsupported. Clusters running 1.13 are now deprecated with end of support tentatively scheduled for February 19, 2020.
It is important to note that clusters that run deprecated or unsupported Kubernetes versions may not receive fixes for security vulnerabilities until they are updated to a supported version. Review the potential impact of each Kubernetes version update, and update your clusters today.