Iteratively develop, test and deploy Terraform code for IBM Cloud directly from the Visual Studio Code editor.
IBM Cloud Schematics is announcing the beta release of the Visual Studio Code extension for IBM Cloud Schematics. With this extension, you can iteratively develop, test and deploy your Terraform code to provision and configure IBM Cloud infrastructure, services and application stacks directly from within your Visual Studio Code (VS Code) editor.
IBM Cloud Schematics is a hosted Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) service that aids in automating the provisioning and configuration of IBM Cloud resources with Terraform and Ansible.
What is the VS Code extension for IBM Cloud Schematics?
The VS Code extension for IBM Cloud Schematics can be installed on an existing Visual Studio Code installation, and it adds features and functions to VS Code to ease the iterative development of Terraform templates with IBM Cloud Schematics. As a Terraform automation developer, you can now develop, test and deploy your Terraform templates from within the VS Code without the need to switch between GitHub and the IBM Cloud Console UI or IBM Cloud CLI.
The following main features are supported:
- Develop new Terraform templates and deploy to IBM Cloud Schematics from the VS Code editor.
- Iteratively enhance the Terraform template locally to add more features, resolve issues and import it into IBM Cloud Schematics from the VS Code editor.
- Clone Terraform templates from an existing IBM Cloud Schematics workspace and continue to iteratively develop the template locally using the VS Code editor.
- Clone Terraform templates from a Git Repository and continue to iteratively develop the template locally using the VS Code editor.
Visual Studio Code extension features
This extension provides three custom tasks for VS Code — Build, Deploy and Clone:
- Use the Build task to author and validate your Terraform templates.
- Use the Deploy task to deploy the Terraform template to IBM Cloud Schematics.
- Use the Clone task to clone the Terraform template from either an existing IBM Cloud Schematics workspace or a new Git repository.
The extension provides developers with additional commands via the VS Code Command Palette to perform workspace specific tasks:
- Generate plan and apply plan.
- View and override the input values for the workspace.
- View jobs and logs of a workspace.
- View and destroy workspace resources.
- Update and delete a workspace
For next steps on how to get started with the Visual Studio Code extension for IBM Cloud Schematics, please see the Getting started tutorial
The IBM Cloud Schematics team would be happy to hear your comments or feedback on the extension. Head to #schematics-vscode slack channel to engage with the team. Request an invitation to this slack channel. Have a bug or a feature request? Please check the Visual Studio Code extension for IBM Cloud Schematics Report a issue/Feature request section.