We are very pleased to announce the release of IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management version 1.1.
With this release, you can enable your enterprise to increase operational efficiency that is driven by intelligent data analysis and predictive golden signals that monitor and maintain the health of modern hybrid applications and infrastructure and gain built-in support for their compliance management.
What is IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management?
IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management is an enterprise grade technology solution that is built on open source technology. The IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management is platform agnostic and supports both virtual machines and container management. Whether your applications reside in an on-premises environment, in the cloud, or at the Edge, IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management is purpose-built to address the visibility, governance, and automation challenges of deployments with multiple clouds, clusters, and VMs.
The IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management includes the capabilities of the following four products:
- IBM Multicloud Manager
- IBM Cloud Application Management
- IBM Cloud Event Management
- IBM Cloud Automation Manager
With the IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management, you get more application and cluster visibility across the enterprise to any public or private cloud. You can improve automation by simplifying your IT and application operations management with increased flexibility and cost savings and intelligent data analysis driven by predictive signals.
How to get started with IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management
To purchase IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management so that you can download it from IBM Passport Advantage, contact your IBM sales representative at 1-844-952-5683, priority code: Cloud.
See the product page for IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management for all the details.
A new ordering option for a trade-up part number is also available. If you’re an existing monitoring client (ITM/ITCAM/APM/ICAM), you can now benefit by trading up to IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management by contacting your IBM sales representative at 1-844-952-5683, priority code: Cloud.
Top features and enhancements of IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management v1.1
1. Runs on Red Hat® OpenShift® Container Platform version 3.11
Following the Cloud Pak installation, you can install the IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management on IBM Cloud, Linux x86_64, and Linux on Power with OpenShift Container Platform version 3.11.
The goal is to provide manage-to and manage-from deployment options of IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management on the OpenShift Container Platform version 3.11.
2. Day-one experience with cluster lifecycle management
Cluster management is made simpler. With a new process, it’s simpler to create, scale, delete, and manage clusters. You can create a cluster with IBM Multicloud Manager that uses the Kubernetes Cluster API—a core-based API that is used to create, configure, and manage clusters with CRD and controller requirements:
- For more information about the Cluster API and the community, see the Cluster API project.
- For how to create and manage clusters, see the documentation on managing your clusters with IBM Multicloud Manager.
- Additionally, after you create your clusters, or if you have existing clusters, you can import cluster resources either by using the IBM Multicloud Manager management console or the CLI. To learn how to import a cluster, see the documentation on managing your clusters with IBM Multicloud Manager.
- Deployment channels and subscriptions are introduced to improve integrations with continuous delivery systems and streamline the deployment of Kubernetes resources to your managed clusters to create and manage applications.
3. Enhanced application management lifecycle
IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management provides enhanced application management capabilities through an improved application model and new deployment options. The new model and deployment options are designed to unify and simplify the deployment experience for creating and managing your application across both single cluster and multi-cluster scenarios.
With the new application management capabilities, you can use channels and subscriptions to gain improved continuous and automated delivery of your deployables to target managed clusters. For more information, see the documentation on managing applications.
4. Enhanced GRC policies and dashboard with risk UI and findings
As an IT Security Operations user, you can gain visibility into your security posture by using pre-configured or customizable analytics on your policies/risks (within an hour).
In the management console, you can use the Governance and risk dashboard to view and manage the number of security risks and policy violations in your clusters.
For more information, see the documentation on IBM Multicloud Manager Governance and risk.
5. Configure high availability for components
Either during or after cluster installation, you can configure high availability (HA) for IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management components. When you configure HA, the components run with multiple replicas and the pods are preferentially deployed in different zones. More information, see the documentation on configuring high availability.
6. Mutation Advisor Advanced (MA++) and its integration with Security Advisor
A system integrity monitoring offering called Mutation Advisor Advanced (MA++) is being released with new architecture.
MA++ now provides new real-time, sharply tuned integrity protection for running containers on cluster. MA++ has numerous improved features that have not been enabled in the previous Mutation Advisor (MA).
- MA++ is using new data collection architecture based on Falco, meaning that mutation events for both files and processes can be detected in real-time.
- MA++ can detect unexpected mutation events sharply by filtering out the regular pattern of events.
- MA++ resource usage is relatively smaller than original MA.
- Similar to MA, MA++ can be integrated with IBM Cloud Security Advisor and IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management Policy Controller (Alpha).
Installation of MA++ is simple. It can be installed with a few switches with IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management installation configuration. For more information, see the documentation on Mutation Advisor Advanced (MA++).
7. Accessing IBM Cloud Automation Manager capabilities from the management console
You can now enable the IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management platform to access IBM Cloud Automation Manager capabilities from the management console. This simplifies the Cloud Automation Manager experience for IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management platform users.
When the underlying platform for Automation Manager is the IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management platform, the Catalog link on the header in the Automation Manager user interface directly goes to the IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management platform Catalog page.
IBM Cloud Automation Manager uses the provider account and credentials of the IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management platform to deploy its services on respective cloud providers. For more details, see the IBM Multicloud Management platform documentation.
8. Quickly debug resource and infrastructure problems with golden signals
Integrated monitoring provides simplified root cause analysis and quicker response to incidents. When an incident occurs and affects an application, you can go directly to the resources comprising that application to look at their performance with the four golden signals.
The golden signals are key performance indicators that directly indicate user experience and are standardized across domains and technologies. This means even without deep knowledge of the particulars of different types of technologies, you can quickly and easily identify if a problem affects users and is, therefore, critical to fix.
To understand if changes in deployments affected application performance, you can use the topology viewer to look at how the topology has changed over time. This helps visualize dependencies within an application and understand complexities in dynamically changing applications. For more information, see IBM Cloud Application Management.
To learn more about IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management version 1.1, see the documentation. For everything that’s new or changed, see the release notes.
Seeing is believing: To explore the IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management, you can watch some videos on IBM Demos.