We will be retiring the Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Entry plan on September 30, 2019.
Here’s what you need to know
End of Entry Plan Availability: September 30, 2019
Starting September 30, 2019, you will not be able to provision new instances of the Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Entry plan. However, existing instances of the Entry plan will continue to be supported until November 30, 2019.
End of Entry Plan Support: November 30, 2019
- For a period of 64 days after the End of Entry Plan Availability, through November 30, 2019, all existing instances of the Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Entry plan will continue to be available and accessible.
- After the End of Entry Plan Support date, any instance of the Entry plan still provisioned will be deleted and all stored data will be lost. Please delete your Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Entry plan instances before the End of Entry Plan Support on November 30, 2019.
If no action is taken by November 30, 2019, all data in Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Entry systems will be lost and there will be no option for recovery. Please be sure to migrate any data you want to preserve by either exporting to your local system or migrating the data to a new Db2 Warehouse on Cloud instance. Migration instructions are outlined below that describe the recommended steps for a basic use case.
All other plans for this offering are not affected and will remain in place as they exist today.
Having to sunset plans is a difficult decision, and we fully understand the inconvenience this may cause. Nevertheless, we'd love you to continue your journey with us by migrating your data to one of our recommended alternative plans:
- Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Flex One: The smallest plan of our high-performance, elastic cloud data warehouse, designed for small data volumes as supported by the Entry plan. If you sign up through this link, you can get $200 in IBM Cloud credit you can use towards your Flex One instance.
- Db2 on Cloud Lite plan: The free plan of Db2 on Cloud—our enterprise-class, general-purpose database. If you’re looking to learn SQL or give Db2 a test drive, then the Db2 on Cloud Lite plan is a perfect fit.
You can also migrate the data from your Entry plan instance to any other IBM Db2 Warehouse on Cloud plan, of course. We’ve outlined some migration paths for you in the next section.
Migration will need to occur prior to the End of Support date on November 30, 2019. After that, any Entry Plan instances that remain will be deleted and all stored data will be lost with no option for recovery.
The following instructions are for migration from the Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Entry plan only. If you require assistance for more complex use cases, such as production-level migration scenarios, please open a support ticket (see "Assistance and questions" section below).
For the following instructions for Entry plan migration, the assumption is that the only user able to access a table is its creator, so the following instructions won't cover migrating privileges. The instructions below also do not cover migration of database artifacts, such as views, functions, stored procedures, sequences, roles, etc.
Please note that there is currently no single command to cover all cases when loading data into Db2 Warehouse on Cloud. As a result, these instructions only cover basic load scenarios, since the Entry plan is intended only for trial purposes. Migration steps are as follows:
Part 1: Exporting data from a Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Entry instance
- Log on to the web console of the existing Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Entry instance.
- Click on the hamburger menu on the top left corner of the web console, then EXPLORE.
- Select the desired table, then click View Data.
- Select Export to CSV to extract the raw data onto your local machine.
Part 2: Loading data into a new Db2 Warehouse on Cloud or Db2 on Cloud instance
- Provision a target Db2 Warehouse on Cloud or Db2 on Cloud instance of your choice. See the "Replacement offering(s)" section above for recommendations. Our "Getting Started" tutorial walks through how to provision a new Db2 Warehouse on Cloud instance through the IBM Cloud Catalog.
- Once the new instance has been provisioned, log on to the web console of the new instance.
- Click on the hamburger menu on the top left corner of the web console, then click LOAD.
- Select the file saved earlier, and follow the load dialog in the web console to load the data into the new instance.
Additional information on IBM Db2 Warehouse on Cloud or IBM Db2 on Cloud can be found in the IBM Knowledge Center:
If you have any issues, please open a support ticket.
Assistance and questions
As always, we’re here to help. Please feel free to open a support ticket.
Q: We have a number of Db2 Warehouse instances in our IBM Cloud dashboard with the Service Offering "Db2 Warehouse" or dashDB for Analytics. How do we know which reflect “Entry" plans that are affected by this deprecation announcement?
A: Log in to the web console for your Db2 Warehouse on Cloud instance. In the top right-hand corner, click the user icon, then About. On the About page, look for Type under the Plan details section. If you have an Entry plan instance, the Type field should say Entry.
Q: Does the migration involve the actual databases or just the migration of the Entry plan out of Db2 Warehouse?
A: The migration involves moving any desired data of the Entry plan instance and into a newly provisioned Db2 Warehouse on Cloud or Db2 on Cloud system.