To capitalize on the impact of weather on product sales, identify optimal times to serve weather-based messaging, and improve campaign performance and efficiency, IBM Watson Advertising and a national home improvement retailer came together for a first-of-its-kind 4-year partnership, leveraging custom data analysis in conjunction with the retailer’s proprietary sales data.
IBM Watson Advertising on-boarded and analyzed the home improvement retailer’s sales data, and made recommendations on when media should be served on The Weather Channel properties based on weather impact. In turn, WEATHERfx triggers were used not just to deliver media, but also as part of seasonal planning by recommending specific products to advertise each quarter.
The partnership consistently exceeded the retailer’s benchmark across all elements of each campaign, and the 2014-2015 partnership resulted in a 59% improvement year-over-year.
2014-2015 year-over-year highlights for media run on The Weather Channel digital properties include:
- +420% CTR desktop banner ads on weather.com
- +54% CTR WEATHERfx 300×600 banners on weather.com
- +1299% CTR animated desktop branded background takeovers on weather.com
- +2376% CTR desktop branded backgrounds on weather.com
- +35% CTR mobile branded backgrounds on The Weather Channel mobile app
- +368% CTR in-store foot traffic (10.81% sales lift)