Whether you’re interested in cognitive computing, artificial intelligence or machine learning, you probably know that the fourth industrial revolution is well underway and accelerating rapidly. The speed of change presents a challenge to developers who want to stay abreast of the latest ideas and approaches. Conferences, workshops and other meetings provide opportunities to learn where the jobs and technology is headed and a chance to learn and practice the skills necessary to keep up.
Here are 17 events on AI and machine learning that developers should consider attending this year (in chronological order):
1. AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-17) San Francisco, CA Feb. 4–9, 2017 http://www.aaai.org/Conferences/AAAI/aaai17.php
Why you should attend: AI engineers, practitioners, researchers and scientists will discuss the latest developments in the field, while tutorials and workshops will give attendees a chance to hone their skills. Speakers will be drawn from a wide variety of sectors, including Microsoft, MIT, the National Science Foundation and NASA Ames Research Center.
2. DeveloperWeek Conference and Expo San Francisco, CA Feb. 11–16, 2017 http://www.developerweek.com/
Why you should attend: Part of DeveloperWeek will be a two-day conference on Artificial Intelligence, consisting of both technical presentations and thought leadership talks. The focus will be on cognitive computing, audio and video recognition, the relationship between machine learning and AI and more. Workshops and bootcamps will provide experience with development tools, while a hackathon will add a competitive flavor.
3. Domino Data Science Pop-Up San Francisco, CA Feb. 22, 2017 https://popup.dominodatalab.com Domino Data Lab created the Data Science Pop-up series to bring together quantitative researchers who are passionate about asking the right questions and identifying problems worth solving. The goal is to present real stories about the cutting edge work being done today. The event is a day-long forum where people share ideas, develop best practices, and network with others in their field.
4. Machine Intelligence Summit San Francisco, CA March 23–24, 2017 https://www.re-work.co/events/machine-intelligence-summit-san-francisco-2017
Why you should attend: The focus of this Summit is “the rise of intelligent machines to make sense of data.” “Deep-dive workshops” will give attendees the opportunity to explore specific topics, from natural language processing to pattern recognition. Speakers include development engineers and scientists from top Bay Area companies such as Flickr, Airbnb and Pandora.
5. The Machine Learning Conference New York, NY March 24, 2017 (Other Machine Learning Conferences will be in Seattle on May 19, Atlanta on Sept. 15 and San Francisco on Nov. 10) http://mlconf.com
Why you should attend: The MLconf, which began as a partnership with Carnegie Mellon University’s GraphLab, focuses on solutions to organizing and analyzing large, noisy data sets. Speakers from various industries (including, in New York, a research engineer from Facebook and a machine learning engineer from Meetup) will discuss their methods and practices.
6. International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Applications (AIAPP 2017) Geneva, Switzerland March 25-26, 2017 http://cosit2016.org/2017/aiapp2017/index.html
Why you should attend: Researchers and scientists will be joined by engineers to discuss the entire range of practical and theoretical aspects of AI. Papers presented will discuss research projects and real-world experiences in topics including automatic control, data mining, semantic technologies, theories of learning, cognitive informatics and more.
7. The AI Summit London, UK May 9–10, 2017 https://theaisummit.com/london/
(Other Summits will be in Hong Kong on July 26, San Francisco Sept. 27-28 and New York Dec. 6-7)
Why you should attend: Attendees at the Summit conference and exhibition will learn how large enterprises are implementing real-world solutions to improve their productivity. Speakers will present case studies and practical applications in a wide range of industries, such as retail, energy, finance and banking, telecommunications, transportation and media.
8. Applied Artificial Intelligence Conference 2017 San Francisco, CA May 11, 2017 http://bootstraplabs.com/artificial-intelligence/applied-artificial-intelligence-conference-2017/
Why you should attend: Focused on practical applications and commercial opportunities for AI, the Applied AI Conference will present specific tools and methods for implementing the technology. The host, Bootstrap Labs, is an investor in applied Artificial Intelligence technologies, so the conference will be a good place to get an overview of current and future opportunities for developers.
9. The AI Conference San Francisco, CA June 2, 2017 https://aiconference.ticketleap.com/helloworld/details
The Artificial Intelligence Conference is an annual event where leading AI researchers and top industry practitioners meet and collaborate. The AI Conference brings together professionals for several industries that are currently being transformed by the recent breakthroughs of Artificial Intelligence.
10. AI and Machine Learning World 2017 London, UK June 13–15, 2017 https://tmt.knect365.com/ai-machine-learning-world/
Why you should attend: What does AI mean for the future of enterprises? That’s the question addressed by the AI and Machine Learning World conference, which will feature demos and case studies, as well as discussions about the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) and robots. There will also be presentations concentrating on AI in specific industries.
11. The O’Reilly Artificial Intelligence Conference New York, NY June 26–29, 2017 https://conferences.oreilly.com/artificial-intelligence/ai-ny
Why you should attend: The O’Reilly conference focuses on applied AI, specifically on the way the technology is becoming a key part of the developer’s toolkit. The conference will examine real-world business examples, relying on case studies and best practices to uncover AI’s potential. Developers will leave with an increased understanding of how to use AI in their own projects.
12. International Conference on Machine Learning and Data Mining (MLDM 2017) New York, NY July 15–20, 2017 http://www.mldm.de/index.php
Why you should attend: As the title says, the emphasis of this conference is on the role of AI in data mining, particularly in the fields of multimedia, biomed and web mining. Data mining tools and applications will be on display in an exhibition hall, and tutorials will help developers get up to speed as necessary.
13. International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI) Melbourne, Australia Aug. 19–25, 2017 http://ijcai-17.org/index.html
Why you should attend: The IJCAI conference, first held in 1969, is centered around a series of workshops on specific topics. This year, those include a Workshop on Cognitive Knowledge Acquisition and Applications (Cognitum 2017) and one on Cognition and Artificial Intelligence for Human-Centered Design. The latter will focus on AI support for next-generation design technologies.
14. Intelligent Systems Conference 2017 (IntelliSys 2017) London, UK Sept. 7–8, 2017 http://saiconference.com/IntelliSys2017
Why you should attend: At IntelliSys 2017, researchers, scientists, practitioners and industry experts will examine the fundamentals of AI as well as how it applies in the real world. The AI track will cover such topics as fuzzy logic, neural networks and expert systems, while the ML track will explore natural language processing, supervised and unsupervised learning, decision-making and more.
15. World of Watson – 2017 Las Vegas, NV Oct. 29 – Nov. 2, 2017 http://www-01.ibm.com/software/events/wow/
The largest cognitive technology and AI conference in the U.S., World of Watson hosted by IBM includes a “Cognitive Concourse,” multiple keynotes, innovation talks and spotlight sessions by industry experts and business leaders. There will also be 200+ hands-on labs and developer certifications. See for yourself how to differentiate your business and transform customers’ lives. From photo-journalistic storytelling to the immersion of virtual reality, to cognitive autonomous vehicles to next-gen drone photography, you will be inspired to accelerate their own cognitive journeys, transforming your industries and our society. A chance to experience these new technologies, hands-on.
16. International Joint Conference on Computational Intelligence (IJCCI) Funchal, Madeira, Portugal Nov. 1-3, 2017 http://www.ijcci.org
Why you should attend: The IJCCI will feature four tracks, including one devoted to Cognitive and Hybrid Systems. Topics will include knowledge and skill acquisition, bio-inspired cognitive architectures, emulation of cognitive functions and cognitive software systems. Applications covered will include pattern recognition, decision-making, human-computer interaction. Workshops and tutorials will help developers hone their skills.
17. SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AI-2017) Cambridge, UK Dec. 12–14, 2017 http://www.bcs-sgai.org/ai2017/
Why you should attend: The SGAI conference will feature invited and refereed papers on both the technology and applications sides of AI. The conference begins with a day of tutorials and workshops. The remaining two days offer two tracks; the application track will enable developers to learn from recent successes and failures in the field.
IBM Watson is working with businesses, scientists, researchers, and governments to outthink our biggest challenges with AI, machine learning and cognitive technologies that are more accessible than ever to every business, large or small. To learn more about Watson’s cognitive solutions and APIs read more on this blog or sign up for a free trial on our website.
What will you build with Watson? Start your 30-day free trial to access our suite of cognitive APIs
We’re less than a month out from IBM Think, a first-of-its-kind conference with all of IBM’s essential technologies under one roof. We’re highlighting 5 can’t miss sessions that focus on Watson and how you can use the technology and apply it to your business.
We’re a little over a month away from IBM Think in Las Vegas! We’ve given you an overview of the conference and reasons why you should attend. As an exclusive to our blog readers, we’re excited to highlight 5 IBM Watson sessions you should attend at Think 2018.