Share this post:
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) deadline is just around the corner. On May 25th, one of the most sweeping and potent data protection/privacy laws yet will go into effect, with penalties of up to four percent of annual global turnover!
On the surface, the law is focused on EU citizens, but its impact will be much larger. Global companies will most likely opt not to keep two or more levels of security — one for EU citizens and one, or more, for non-EU citizens — but instead will bring all privacy policies and compliances into line with GDPR.
It’s late in the game to be just starting, so we hope you’re well on your way or even done with your GDPR journey. If you’re just doing your due diligence and double and triple checking yourself – good for you!
Here’s a quick checklist you can review.
- Have you met the fundamental protection of privacy rights? Are you/will you be protecting the security and confidentiality of Personal Data and providing proper use, notice, consent, choice, access, rectification and erasure?
- Do you have your governance plan, processes and policies in place? Consider what measures need to be taken to translate GDPR into actions, norms and values and how you can measure their effectiveness so you can improve them.
- Are your cloud-based applications ready for GDPR? IBM Cloud can be a boon in this area with built-in data security and privacy services and solutions that can be consumed on premises or as SaaS offerings.
- Have you trained your people on GDPR requirements? Employees need to understand the risks and impact of improper data use with resources they can rely on and processes for issues and escalations.
- Do you know where your data resides? Govern and ensure the quality of your data, assess what data you have, what you’re using it for and consider how you can interact with individual customers, clients, or third parties. This is crucial for offering the transparency and trust which is demanded from GDPR.
Rest assured that IBM Watson Commerce is right there with you on the GDPR journey, with solutions that enable you to be compliant and support to help ease the burden.
To learn more, visit our Watson Commerce GDPR page.