IBM Watson

How Watson is Helping More Puppies Become Guiding Eyes for the Blind

Guide dogs help to provide people with vision loss with independence, safety, and, perhaps equally important – companionship. These puppies with a purpose change lives for the better in many, many ways. I volunteer as a puppy raiser for Guiding Eyes for the Blind because I saw first-hand how my late husband’s vision loss affected him during his battle with cancer. I want to help make lives better for people who are blind or have impaired vision.

IBM’s Lorraine Trapani holds TJ. (Photo: Darryl J Bautista/Feature Photo Service)

Guiding Eyes for the Blind is a non-profit organization dedicated to the breeding, raising, training and placement of guide dogs with people who are blind or visually impaired. Guiding Eyes is using Watson to help pair more guide dogs with those who need them.

The stakes are high: each dog costs Guiding Eyes approximately $50,000 to train over two years, and only half of the dogs raised and trained will graduate as guide dogs or be chosen as dogs to breed. Of all puppies bred at Guiding Eyes, 37 percent eventually become guide dogs and another 13 percent are provided to other organizations to succeed in less demanding service dog work. Guiding Eyes is using Watson in its quest to further improve the process and increase the success of its program.

CBS Evening News: Watson helps determine which puppies can serve the blind

By using Watson on the cloud, Guiding Eyes has analyzed 500,000 medical records and 65,000 records about dog temperaments, matching characteristics and personality traits of trainers with dogs’ temperament, medical and genetic data. Based on a sample of 105 guide dogs, Watson has been able to predict with 100 percent accuracy which guide dogs would successfully graduate from Guiding Eyes’ training.

As a volunteer, I receive the puppies at 8 weeks of age and spend about a year raising them at my home in Ridgefield, Conn. Then the puppies go back to Guiding Eyes to be professionally trained in guide work — a process that typically takes about six months. Sometimes, dogs receive additional training to assist with multiple challenges. The first puppy that I raised, Merrick, was trained to work with a deaf and blind person. Ed, another puppy that I raised, is working as a guide dog for a man whose family includes five daughters.

Merrick and Ed are among the more than 7,000 guide dogs that Guiding Eyes for the Blind has trained since 1954 to help people with vision loss gain greater independence by being paired with a guide dog. My new puppy, TJ, is named after IBM founder’s T.J. Watson, and is the sixth puppy I’ve raised.

To expand the scope of factors that Watson can take into account, Guiding Eyes and IBM are working with researchers at North Carolina State University to tackle the challenge of dog stress, one of the most difficult traits to measure and among the biggest predictors of a dog’s ability to graduate from the Guiding Eyes training program and work with people.

Researchers are developing wearable devices equipped with sensors to measure behavior and heart rate level of puppies that measure how puppies vary in their emotional response to potentially stressful situations. These “Internet of Things” devices can enable more effective breeding, raising and training for the puppies to become guide dogs.

In the U.S., someone becomes blind every seven minutes, and as the “Baby Boomer” generation faces age-related vision loss, the demand is increasing. Ultimately, the Guiding Eyes and Watson partnership will increase graduation rates to help meet the growing demand for guide dogs.

Watson represents a new era in computing called cognitive computing, where systems understand the world in a way more similar to humans: through senses, learning, and experience. Watson continuously learns from previous interactions, gaining in value and knowledge over time. With the help of Watson, organizations are harnessing the power of cognitive computing to transform industries, help professionals do their jobs better, and solve important societal challenges.

___________________________________

Related:

THINK Blog: How Technology Levels the Playing Field for the Blind
Donate Today: www.guidingeyes.org

72 Comments

Your email address will not be published.Required fields are marked *

Alan Kohlscheen

Great Work Lorraine !!! Truly making a difference…

Mark Grill

Great work Lorraine! Your passion and dedication is exemplary! This is an application of Watson that will help improve the lives of many.

Monica Kipp

I find this so interesting to achieve that success right. I breed dogs for show and would love to see what else this can due in canines possibly for seizures or diabetic alerts.

Lorraine Trapani

Thanks, @Monica Kipp. This technology definitely has many potential applications. Certainly in the service animal field–regardless of the type of service (i.e., guide dogs, detection dogs, seizure and diabetic alert dogs, dogs for children on the autism spectrum, military dogs), as well as show animals–dogs, horses, etc. It’s very exciting.

Regina Trehy

You look beautiful Lorraine and the work you are doing is splendid. I am so happy for you that you have found such rewarding work. You so deserve these rewards! I am retired and in Florida now over two years. I am south of Disney…my door is always open to you. God bless you for all that you do to help others!

Lorraine Trapani

@ReginaTrehy Thanks, Regina! IBM Watson + Guiding Eyes is a great collaboration that will ensure more guide dogs are paired with those who need them. So proud to be an IBMer!

Sheri Lussier

Excellent article, Lorraine. It is so exciting that Guiding Eyes and IBM are teaming up on this project. Puppy raising is one of the most important jobs I’ve had, and I look forward to learning how the project will improve the puppy/raiser team with the end goal of more successful dogs.

Lorraine Trapani

@SheriLussier Thanks, Sheri…Watson will learn from your outstanding success as a repeat puppy raiser. Proud to volunteer for Guiding Eyes for the Blind with you! @guidingeyes

Scott VanRavenswaay

This is really cool. 100% successful predication rate? Nice! Is there any technical information available onlin or internally about the training data, and prediction technique? Was this project the result of IBM outreach to do a good deed, or is Guiding Eyes a Watson Bluemix customer? I’d love to know more.

Incidentally, I felt compelled to go to the guidingeyes.org website and made a recurring donation to a good cause as a result of this video.

Oh! I need to know one other very important thing: How do I get my dog one of those plush I “BEE” M bees?! She needs one for sure.

Tashira Gibbs

Awesome!

Deb Aiello

Its a wonderful thing when your passion and your work come together! Thank you, Lorraine, Watson and GEB for coming together for such a worthy cause. I’m a volunteer for GEB, myself and having Watson interpret all of the data on our puppies and dogs in order to predict those that will be successful guides is a great accomplishment. To be able to give the gift of independence to those who needs these dogs is beyond words !

Lorraine Trapani

Thanks, @Deb Aiello! Proud to be your colleague — at both IBM and as a volunteer with @Guidingeyes. Watson will take our contributions, as IBMers, to a whole new level. At a cost of $50,000 per dog, whether they make it or not, Watson will also maximize the effective impact of donations, upon which Guiding Eyes for the Blind depends to continue their life changing work.

Kathy

Since, ‘only half of the dogs raised and trained will graduate as guide dogs or be chosen as dogs to breed’ could Watson be used at an earlier stage and assess dogs coming into the program or earlier in the process to determine if they will succeed or not.

Seems like that would help save lots of money as well.

Lorraine Trapani

@Kathy. Thanks, Kathy. That’s exactly the plan…Watson will help Guiding Eyes make decisions on which dogs to breed to create litters with the greatest chance of success, which of those pups have the greatest chance of becoming guide dogs, and which are then placed with volunteer puppy raisers–and which raiser to place them with to best progress their skills, and then which trainer, and eventually which recipient to place them with. Watson will eventually be helping at each stage of their journey.

Sonali

Great Work Lorraine !!! Truly making a difference…

Bonnie Cordaro

Lorraine, I love this article! Thanks for your – and Watson’s – contribution to this cause. It’s wonderful how we can use new technologies such as this help everyone’s lives to become better!

Jane and Jim

Little did Jim and I know what an asset you would become to the GEB/IBM Watson program when you asked us to be a reference for raising a puppy.
You may be proud of IBM but I’m sure they are just as proud of you.
We sure are!

Eric Hull

This is a wonderful use of technology and Watson.

Helen Wright

Lorraine this is just spectacular. I remember when you started the fostering, who could have imagined then, the use of technology in such a fashion. What a contribution you are making …. Thank-you

Sheila

Loved to read about this and would love to see the research when it comes through. Being involved in dog training interested to see how the body language matches the stresses the dogs are under, especially with puppies who are just learning to explore their world.

Lorraine Trapani

@ Sheila. Thanks Sheila. This is where IOT technology will interact with Watson, providing, through a wearable device, feedback on tension building in the pups at a much earlier point than when it becomes visible. As a puppy raiser, I will eventually get real-time info on stress building in the pup so that I can adjust the exposure/pressure appropriately to keep the pup in the “Think and Learn Zone.” This is one of the ways in which Watson will help more puppies succeed as guide dogs.

Cristina Fdez. Velasco

Great job, and proud to see Watson’s direct impact in society.

Lorraine Trapani

Alan, thanks. I’m so proud to work for a company–and manager–who so strongly supports volunteerism and giving back to the communities in which we live and work.

Carl Jacobs

Great article, wonderful organization. My family and I have home socialized 6-8 week puppies before they are given a home. This is great research into a very worthwhile endeavor.

Lorraine Trapani

Thanks for volunteering with Guiding Eyes, Carl! You home socialize the pups right before they come to raisers like me. The evaluations you complete on their behavior and environment during their stay with you are part of the data that Watson uses to provide insights to Guiding Eyes, helping them make decisions.

Birgit Wiesinger

Very impressive & so needed. Great Watson can help making a better choice.

Tim Scheerer

Tremendous….wow!

Tammy Graves

Way to go Lorraine! I’m a puppy raiser for Canine Companions for Independence (www.cci.org). I love raising puppies and have helped raise around 12 now. I need to find out how I can get IBM more involved with our group.

Lorraine Trapani

@Tammy Graves. 12!!! Congratulations! The technology being developed by IBM Watson + Guiding Eyes will benefit all service dog organizations….it’s truly outstanding and will have such an impact.

Lorraine Trapani

@Mark Grill. Mark, thanks….proud to be your colleague. It’s true….this work is a great example of how augmented intelligence benefits society.

Kerstin Korte

What about dogs who are assistants to people in wheelchairs e.g. Maybe this can be used there as well.

Lorraine Trapani

Thanks, Kerstin. Absolutely! The technology will apply to all types of service animals.

Elena Fiske

A truly inspiring story. I love the way we are using Watson and the thought of where we’ll go from here – and who doesn’t love puppies, right? 🙂

Yep! It’s impossible to resist these very special “puppies with a purpose.” 🙂

Barbara Brunner

Great blog. Thanks for sharing!

Dorian D'Ausilio

This is a perfect fit! IBM & Guiding Eyes… love that IBM is making a difference in great organizations like Guiding Eyes.

Brad Short

You’re an inspiration, Lorraine — thanks for your great work!

Kirsten Rittenhouse

Lorraine this is just wonderful! I think it is terribly exciting that Watson is being used for such exciting innovations. Huge kudos to you for making this a reality.

Sam Williamson

Wow, so cool. Love this!!!!

Arlene

Hi Lorraine – great story. We actually have at least 2 women here on the Boulder site who also train pups. It’s great to be able to see them around the office. Keep up the good work!!

Lorraine Trapani

Hi, Arlene. Kirsten Rittenhouse, who commented here, is one of them! Kirsten has raised many puppies for the blind!

Marie

I have supported Guiding Eyes for years through charitable contributions but your efforts go way beyond dollars. It takes heart & patience to raise a puppy let alone a puppy with the hope of being the eyes for someone in need. My you be blessed for all your efforts.

Lorraine Trapani

Marie, thanks so much for your recurring support of Guiding Eyes for the Blind. Your donations make the program possible.

Simona Zaffaroni-Lucas

Thank you Lorraine for your personal engagement. What you are doing is noble. I love dogs and to see these puppies being raised by people like you to then be trained further to assist other people – is just emotional and it’s amazing what Watson can do for the society, for us.

Lorraine Trapani

Thanks, Simona. It is very emotional to see a puppy that you’ve raised from 8 weeks of age become a guide dog and meet the person who has received this priceless gift. It was also emotional when the Senior Director of Genetics and Breeding at Guiding Eyes, who has devoted herself to this work, said, “Watson blew my mind.” #ProudIBMer

Monica Kipp

I was at a dog show this weekend and people were talking about this. The article was posted on Canine Chronicle so the dog world was buzzing. Congratulations!

Lorraine Trapani

Thanks for letting me know, Monica. Wonderful!

Maria Isabel Silva

Really exciting and marvelous way to use technology!! Congratulations Lorraine!

Anj

wow … well done Lorraine … I know this was also a life passion for you!!

ZULA PRZYBYLINSKA

Awesome!

Rajini

This is awesome work Lorraine… Passion and dedication to do such a wonderful piece of work is so visible .. May you be rewarded more and more….

Saikat Dalui

Great move ..best of luck..

Goddumarri Sairam

Excellent Work!!

Marcia Bennet

What a wonderful way to help people in need and make the most of volunteer efforts! Proud to be an IBMer!

Maureen Daley

Great work Lorraine! Love it. The dogs that do not become seeing guide dogs, are they available for adoption?

Lorraine Trapani

@MaureenDaley. Thanks, Maureen. Dogs not suitable for guide work are considered for other types of less demanding service work or other alternative careers such as detection work or law enforcement. Those pups who would be happier being a pet are available for adoption…although, as you can imagine, there is a waiting list for these special pups! You can learn more about the adoption process at https://www.guidingeyes.org/learn/dog-adoption/

Mark Luscre

Awesome and what a difference maker !

Frances J Baldwin

This article makes me want to become a puppy trainer /surrogate! I did not realize that there was such a need. My older brother is starting to lose his site due to medical reasons.

Debra

Lorraine, I could also envision Watson being used to track individual dog abilities, and if a dog is not a good match for being a guide dog, Watson could reach out to other dog assisted therapy organizations who may be looking for specific abilities and be a source for other service dog organizations. There are many possible options for the future of animal assisted therapy!

Bernadette Ocampos

Love the article and your dedication to raising these special dogs.

Alex Lau

Lorraine – Inspiring view of the devotion and passion that goes into this important work.

Richard "Scott" Derby

As a person who has been deaf since birth, and now getting older with creaking bones….I have long wondered if having a service dog would be beneficial for me and from what I have read within the article….Watson is capable of predicting which dog will pass or fail….however I am curious to know if Watson is capable of predicting a good relationship between guide dog and potential human partner……

Yolanda Santiago

Great work and dedication! Thanks for sharing your story.

Meenagi Venkat

We raise puppies for the Seeing Eye as well and technology that raises the success rate of the puppies is extremely precious. It takes a lot of resources to train and place one puppy and the benefit to society is priceless. This is innovation that matters

Laura

This is a fantastic use of the power of Watson, helping real world problems. What an amazing contribution to society!

Karen De Sutter

Wonderful story, Lorraine. Watson’s endless potential leaves me mesmerized.

Bettina Franke

What a really meaningful task for Watson!
Lorraine, I truly adore your generous commitment. Don´t think that I´d be able to give the puppies off for the sake of someone else. You did this again and again, Chapeau!

Marc Coq

Great work Lorraine. Great passion and dedication to client success.

Sandra Thompson

Great work Lorraine! Your passion and dedication has been evident during our conversations. Watson is helping to improve the lives of many.

Raquel Mainenti

This is Incredible! Loved this story!…. and so did my kids! ;o)

More IBM Watson Stories

Reimagining Technology Support with Autonomous IT

The vast amount of unstructured data from servers, networks, and social media, along with highly-personalized mobile devices and “always-on” IT expectations, requires a higher standard of support – support that can seamlessly transition between environments to identify, evaluate, and resolve issues consistently. However, today’s conventional IT support still relies on plenty of manual analysis and […]

Continue reading

The Future of Bollywood Fashion is Cognitive

Fashion is ever-changing. Styles that once seemed evergreen can fade away, and those looks that we thought would never make a comeback suddenly resurface. As designers, the creative space we must occupy to stay current and relevant is a delicate balance of gradual evolution and radical reinvention. Inspiration can come from anywhere – an old […]

Continue reading

The Next Generation of Infrastructure Services

Today’s environment is one where business needs are rapidly changing and business cycles are accelerating faster than ever. To grow successfully, businesses are requiring improved efficiencies from the digitalization of existing processes and the ability to rapidly launch new digital offerings. Enterprises need consistent and reliable support to run their IT systems across a “supply […]

Continue reading