September 20, 2016 | Written by: Sarah Dudley
Share this post:
HUBweek, a week-long festival in Boston kicking off on September 25, celebrates innovation at the intersection of art, science and technology. Founded by The Boston Globe, Harvard University, MIT and Mass General Hospital, HUBweek is a first-of-its-kind civic collaboration that brings together the most creative and inventive minds making an impact in Boston and around the world.
So where does blockchain come in? Blockchain is a shared, immutable ledger for recording the history of transactions. It fosters a new generation of transactional applications that establish trust, accountability and transparency across business networks. Blockchain technology is arguably the most promising and most hyped emerging technology. It has the potential to fundamentally disrupt a significant number of industries and change the way that society works. Blockchain could impact the way we vote and pay for services and also transform how music and other goods are distributed.
On September 29, in conjunction with the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, IBM is sponsoring a 4-hour event from 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM, to explore the hype and promise of blockchain. The event includes a keynote, a Blockchain 101 session, a panel, short TED Talk-style sessions on use cases and a demo breakout.
The panel’s diverse array of speakers includes:
- Gari Singh, Blockchain CTO, IBM
- Anders Brownworth, Principal Engineer, Circle Internet Financial; Lecturer, MIT
- Nimit Sawhney, Co-Founder & CEO, Voatz
- Don Anderson, SVP & CIO, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
- RJ Krawiec, Principal, Deloitte Consulting LLP
- Chelsea Barabas, Head of Social Innovation, Digital Currency Initiative, MIT
- Tom Ashbrook, Moderator, Host, On Point, WBUR, NPR
- Ariel Ekblaw, Graduate Research Assistant, MedRec Project Lead, MIT Media Lab
The focus of the panel discussion will be the potential impacts of blockchain technology across a variety of industries, including banking, financial services and healthcare.
Don’t forget to swing by the IBM Booth at the Hynes Convention Center to learn more about IBM Blockchain. Register for this exciting event today!