IBM Services drives digital reinvention enabled by hybrid cloud with Red Hat
As companies continue on their digital reinventions, they are shifting more of their mission-critical business applications and workloads to hybrid cloud so they can build, adopt and scale AI while also becoming more agile and responsive to changing market and client demands.
Global research from IBM shows that 85% of enterprises already operate a multicloud infrastructure — by 2021, that percentage is projected to soar to 98%. The research also finds that only 40% of organizations today have the tools, skills and strategy to manage a multicloud environment. As companies look to take advantage of hybrid cloud to build cloud-native capabilities, modernize existing applications, and manage workloads, many find that they need access to business, technology and industry expertise to help them with their journey.
With one of the world’s largest team of Red Hat certified consultants, and more than 80,000 cloud application service practitioners, IBM Services helps companies advise, move, build, and manage workloads to cloud and de-risk the client cloud journey. Through a combination of global scale, expertise and differentiated methods, capabilities and assets, IBM Services has already helped migrate more than 100,000 workloads to cloud, and today, manages more than 30,000 apps for its top 350 clients alone.
Open Architecture Unlocks the Cloud
As they digitally transform, enterprises looking to integrate traditional technology investments with their cloud environments require open architectures. Open source solutions like Red Hat OpenShift make it easier for businesses to develop and deploy containers in virtually any cloud. With more than 20 years of leadership in open source communities on the open community, IBM puts open source technologies at the foundation of our services — incorporating Red Hat technologies reaffirms that.
For example, a large North American bank partnered with IBM Services on a holistic and integrated approach to container platforms and complex workloads. The bank can now deploy workloads across three onpremises data centers on multiple continents, shortening implementation times, reducing the complexity of its infrastructure, and better addressing regulatory needs, all while delivering improved service to its customers.
To help businesses accelerate the adoption of hybrid cloud, IBM is introducing new services for Red Hat platforms, including:
- IBM Services – Application Modernization on Red Hat, designed to accelerate the containerization of legacy applications on Red Hat OpenShift through portfolio examination and optimization
- IBM Services – Application Migration on Red Hat, designed to re-engineer legacy applications to be cloud-native
- IBM Services – Build Applications on Red Hat, designed to help clients to build public-, private- and hybrid cloud-ready applications using a microservices architecture on Red Hat OpenShift
- IBM Services – Managed Private Cloud IaaS, offers a dedicated private cloud infrastructure in an on-premise cloud environment that IBM manages and operates for its clients.
IBM Services is also helping clients speed deployments by embedding Red Hat best practices for architecture and combining them with these six new Red Hat-specific accelerators:
- The IBM Advisory Tool to help clients find the best cloud strategy, including containerization for Red Hat OpenShift, following a rich repository of 50,000 cloud disposition rules based on knowledge from 100+ advisory and transformation engagements
- A Deep Portfolio & App Insights-driven discovery engine & Code Analytics including containerization recommendations based on AI & Graph algorithms enriched with knowledge from years of complex engagements which gives clients better planning and includes a proven method to accommodate various potential obstacles
- Fastpath modernization to containers including Red Hat OpenShift tooling to help automation of end to end containerization including DevOps, from application analysis to deployment
- Digital Scenario Builder to help co-create digital scenarios as building blocks, for example, from API to Middleware. The builder can help accelerate cloud native development by 25-30% and helps standardize the entire development model with insights driven development compliance checks
- Automated microservices code generation for Red Hat OpenShift and predefined API accelerators for PSD2 and OpenBanking implementations
- DevOps commander-based automation of toolchain creation for Red Hat OpenShift / Openstack Platform and rapid on-demand provisioning of non-prod and prod environments with in-built DevSecOps tooling
In addition, IBM will bolster existing services with Red Hat capabilities to offer cloud services that assist with migration, architecture design, management and development. These services will provide clients the means to effectively govern and manage infrastructure deployed on Red Hat’s enterprise open source portfolio, cloud computing and infrastructure portfolio that can be deployed across any hybrid cloud environment.
Speeding Hybrid Cloud with the IBM Garage
Businesses around the world are turning to the IBM Garage to co-create and innovate at the speed of a start-up and at the scale of an enterprise. The IBM Garage Method for Cloud is IBM’s single approach to enable business, development and operations to continuously design, deliver and validate new cloud-based solutions. It is the only approach of its kind focused on moving clients from idea generation to enterprise scale adoption. In the past 18 months, IBM has helped more than 500 companies adopt this new way of working as they drive their digital transformations with data and AI on the hybrid cloud.
As companies build the business platforms of the future, they must turn to a partner that is a leader in the market. With over 250,000 highly-skilled professionals across 170 countries and a global delivery network with deep application and multi-cloud skills, IBM Services has established itself as a market-leading infrastructure and consulting services provider dedicated to helping companies accelerate their cloud journeys with open and innovative approaches.