Share this post:
In my previous blog, I introduced IBM Cloud Paks. They are enterprise-ready, containerized, pre-integrated software solutions that give clients an open, faster and more secure way to build, move and manage core business applications on any cloud. In this one, we will dig deeper into one of the five paks, namely the IBM Cloud Pak for Data. But why did we even make this specific Cloud Pak for Data?
Because nothing really works without data. Data is what we process, store, read, update, delete and archive in production systems and we extract, transform and load the data to target zones for intelligent use whether we are talking traditional warehousing or population of data lakes perhaps with the purpose of implementing AI solutions.
Today all companies has become data companies and they are looking for the best ways to handle fast growing data volume.
Each day, 2.5 quintillion bytes of data are created. By 2020, experts are predicting a tenfold explosion to 44 zettabytes (or 44 trillion gigabytes).
Big Data equals Big Business, but many companies aren’t unlocking the value they would like from their data. Most struggle to manage an average of 33 unique data sources, which are diverse in structure and type and are often trapped in data silos that are hard to find and access, and even if you do, there is rarely an overarching governance in place for the data your need, and likewise ensure adherence to legislation like GDPR.
Our approach to deliver a modern data strategy is based on data fueling digital transformation, unlocking the value of data though AI and building hybrid clouds to help democratize data. This is what Cloud Pak for Data are delivering, a simplified information architecture to put your data to work.
Cloud Pak for Data is a single unified platform that simplifies how you collect, organize and analyze data to accelerate the value of data science and AI. This multi-cloud platform delivers a broad range of core data microservices, with the option to add more from a growing services catalog. Experience greater flexibility, security and control, and the benefits of the cloud without having to move your data.
It offers accelerating time to value with integrated data management, data governance and analysis for greater efficiency and improved use of resources with the goal to enable self-service collaboration across teams.
This is done by applying Industry-leading data virtualization where data easily and securely can be queried across multiple sources on either cloud or on premises. It delivers a sophisticated built-in data governance capabilities that efficiently responding to changing regulations, including automated discovery and classification of data, masking of sensitive data, data zones and data life cycle management.
It is AI-ready managing end-to-end data workflows to help ensure that data is easily accessible for AI to ensure that your data is high-quality, delivering accurate automated insights and decisions through seamlessly build and managed machine learning models across development and production in a collaborative environment.
Data silos are very good at holding potential insights from data tightly within their barriers. Leaving the tedious task of searching through, moving, and governing those data resources. Often that work takes 80% of the time dedicated to a single initiative. Cloud Pak for Data delivers Data virtualization that connects data silos to make them appear as if they were a single data set. This means No data is copied. It exists only at the source
PDF – “Eliminate data silos” (289 KB)
Key benefits of IBM Cloud Pak for Data:
- At a click, access and deploy an ecosystem of 45+ analytics services and templates from IBM and third parties
- Simplify data governance so data scientists, developers, engineers and business experts can collaborate to build and deploy models at scale, accelerate innovation, and improve business outcomes. Unified data asset catalog, lineage and provenance with integrated access control and security policies.
- Query across multiple data sources fast and easy without moving your data.
- Speed time to value with a single platform that integrates data management, data governance and analysis for greater efficiency and improved use of resources.
Red Hat OpenShift
- Leverage the leading hybrid cloud, enterprise container platform for an innovative and fast deployment strategy
- Avoid lock-in and leverage all cloud infrastructure with our Any Cloud mentality.
Security and privacy
- Data isn’t cached in the cloud or on other devices. Credentials for your private databases are stored encrypted at the local device and are private to that device.
- IBM Cloud Pak for Data supports multiple application query languages (SQL, stored procedure languages, R and Python) and data sources like Cloudera Impala, IBM Db2®, Db2 Event Store, IBM Informix®, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server and Teradata.
Ease of use
- Take advantage of a single web console with an interactive interface to query data, manage users and visualize data-node constellations. System optimization is automated through machine learning and adaptive algorithms.
To conclude, IBM Cloud Pak for Data provides all the benefits of data virtualization and helps you manage and control your data. If you are curious to learn even more about it, please visit: IBM Cloud Pak for Data.
If you have any questions or would like to start a dialogue on how we at IBM can help to accelerate your cloud journey, please do not hesitate to contact me at FRANKO@dk.ibm.com or read more here.