Article

Cisco and IBM: What’s possible in IoT

Share this post:

Today, in a typical industrial deployment, only 1% of IoT data is actually analyzed. This is because of legacy processes and drawbacks in current IoT platforms that make it too expensive and slow to analyze the other 99% of data Let’s take a look at a typical oil platform to understand why most data goes unused.

oilandgasdataloss

Oil and gas data loss

The illustration above shows that not only is it difficult to pull in data, making sense of the data and figuring out how to use it is also a challenge. The good news is there is so much valuable data – if you can figure out how to harness it, there are nearly unlimited possibilities.

Edge analytics

Enter edge analytics. A solution that helps to address the deluge of IoT data by distributing analytics to the edge, or very close to it. Enterprises can harness the intelligence of the myriad of smart devices and their low cost computational power to allow them to run valuable analytics on the device itself.  Multiple devices are usually connected to a local gateway where potentially more compute power is available, enabling more complex multi-device analytics close to the edge.

Even more powerful in many cases, edge analytics are more than just operational efficiencies and scalability. Many business processes do not require complex analytics and therefore the data can be collected, processed and analyzed on the edge to drive automated decisions. Cognitive IoT can infuse these edge analytics with intelligence to make devices environmentally aware and able to react in real-time.

Cisco and IBM

Cisco and IBM are redefining the network with an intelligent platform through Cisco’s leadership in the market; and enabling a hybrid approach to IoT analytics at the network edge or in the cloud through IBM’s Watson IoT Platform. Together we are delivering a first of its kind solution that creates the ability for customers to analyze business performance at the point of data collection; so they can tightly control how their environment, assets and people are performing against their mission. Structured and unstructured forms of data such as video and auditory are monitored for changes relevant to risk. Corrective actions are driven based on analytic evaluation based on business rules defined by the enterprise. Analysis performed at the edge is used to perfect performance models in the cloud, continuously learning and perfecting operating condition models. Analysis of data at the edge of the network frees capacity in transmission and drives down costs of communications for remote monitoring.

Businesses can now achieve new levels of competitive advantage by tapping previously unconnected data, empowering decisions at the point of data collection. This solution will enable dynamic distribution of data processing and analytics with performance-critical computation for applications/data center functions at the very edge of the network. Allowing you to respond to one machine, while continuing to learn from data from all machines, on a single IoT platform.

Check out this webcast, to hear leaders from IBM and Cisco discuss this first of its kind solution enabling immediate analytics on IoT data at the edge of the network. And be sure to find out how you can get started with this new solution.

More Platform stories

Why edge computing is essential to your connected operations strategy

Written by Skip Snyder | June 24, 2020 | Blog

Much has been said about the growth of IoT devices and the sheer volume of data they generate. Taking the analysis further ahead, IDC predicts that “every connected person in the world will have at least one digital data interaction every 18 seconds — likely from one of the billions of IoT devices, which are ...read more


Build resilient business operations with intelligence, insights and expertise

Written by Kareem Yusuf, Ph.D | April 7, 2020 | Blog, Chemicals & Petroleum, Energy and Utilities...

A smarter business ensures the reliability of critical assets and that operations can adapt to changing circumstances to enable business continuity. When powered by AI, IoT and reliable weather data, connected operations empower you to view how assets perform in real-time, manage them from any location, and ultimately reduce operating costs. Further, data from 5G and edge computing infused into business workflows can uncover insights that will lead to a more adaptable operations infrastructure. ...read more


An IDC Perspective on Engineering and Product Development

Written by Melinda Ballou, IDC | March 18, 2020 | Article, Engineering

Companies need to embrace digitally transforming their engineering processes to remain competitive in the evolving global market. To successfully develop products that integrate hardware and software, organizations need an integrated solution that supports both hardware and software development methodologies. ...read more