February 2, 2017 | Written by: Srinivas Attili
Categorized: Healthcare Industry Insights
Share this post:
In Aug 2016, team from IBM Healthcare won the blockchain health IT ideation challenge: “Use of Blockchain in Health IT and Health-related Research Challenge” sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC). IBM’s winning paper describes the potential impact that blockchain can have on the key healthcare industry challenges. Blockchain can be applied to resolve many of the healthcare industry challenges, including the issues of security, scalability, interoperability, and privacy.
Recently, the IBM Institute for Business Value (IBV) executed the study of 200 healthcare executives across 16 countries from payers to providers to provide an insightful analysis of the growth and application of blockchain technology in healthcare ecosystem. Read the detailed study: Healthcare rallies for blockchains: Keeping patients at the center to learn about blockchain adoption. To help speed the adoption of blockchain for business, IBM has introduced a new framework for securely operating blockchain networks, as well as new services on the IBM Cloud that are designed to meet existing regulatory and security requirements.
At the upcoming HIMSS17 (Feb 19-23, Orlando), IBM will be hosting a breakfast briefing session on Feb 21, 8-9 AM ET – Today’s Healthcare Challenges and How Blockchain Can Help Solve Them. This session will be led by me and my team members.
Register yourself now for this session by clicking here.
In this session, you will hear from the authors of the award winning white paper regarding blockchain and its potential for addressing significant healthcare issues such as:
- Counterfeit Drug Prevention and Detection: Introduce blockchain-enabled solutions to protect and enhance the pharmaceutical supply chain
- Validation and Payment of Claims: Reduce process time and friction, including compliance with contract terms
- Clinical Trial Results: Improve accountability and transparency in the clinical trial reporting process
- Internet of Things and Blockchain: Consumer-generated health data meets IoT wearables through data accessibility and interconnection with health records
- Outcome-Based Payments: Assigns each consumer a unique digital identity with data from blockchain (payers measure metrics for positive outcomes)
Please join us and your industry colleagues for a thought provoking discussion on this innovative and exciting new technology.
Please reach out to me at for more details at email@example.com. Also, follow me on @sriniattili and https://www.linkedin.com/in/sriniattili.
Visit IBM Wealth Health Booth #1809 at HIMSS17 (Feb 19-23, 2017) to learn more about blockchain technology for the healthcare industry and meet IBM experts on it.
To learn more about IBM’s presence at HIMSS17 click here: http://ibm.biz/himss17
IBM Healthcare Twitter: @IBMHealthcare and #IBMHealthcare
IBM Watson Health Twitter: @IBMWatsonHealth and #WatsonHealth