Share this post:
As a C-level or line of business executive, there’s a lot that can keep you up at night. While it’s critical that you invest in new technology to keep up with your competition, you don’t want to risk a gap in security or lose out on your current investments — whether it’s your technology, your people or your budget.
And if you do decide to spend the money and take the time required to modernize, you’re probably wondering if doing so will jeopardize your enterprise’s ability to remain secure and compliant, provide the ROI that you expect and most importantly maintain an optimized customer experience. A negative outcome to any of these areas could tarnish brand reputation and even cost your enterprise financially.
Multicloud management: Three key considerations
Now let’s think about this from the perspective of managing your hybrid, multicloud environment, and address the issues that your IT Operations and Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) teams may face daily. Ask yourself these three questions:
- Governance and security. Can your teams easily enforce your enterprise’s policies, and know that the risk of a security breach is minimal?
- Visibility. Do your teams have clear line of site across your environments and the ability to easily diagnose and triage issues? Are their actions powered by key business indicators and predicative monitoring?
- Automated operations. Are your delivery, configuration, and management processes slow and manual, or are they efficient and automated, thus driving cost savings and improved productivity?
If you answered “no” to any of these questions, don’t worry, you’re not alone. According to a 2018 IBM Institute for Business Value study, more than 60 percent of customers responding state that they don’t have the tools and procedures to manage and operate in a complex multicloud environment.
Multicloud management: Finding a solution
IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management, is an integrated suite of capabilities that delivers lifecycle management for cloud-native and traditional applications, as well as infrastructure lifecycle management for Kubernetes and Virtual Machines (VMs), underpinned with a consistent event management, automation and enterprise policy compliance framework.
Your enterprise can benefit by managing VMs and containers from a single control point which can increase operational efficiency that’s driven by intelligent data analysis and Golden Signal monitoring.
A 2019 Ovum report sponsored by IBM found that IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management can reduce development time by up to 84 percent and operational expenses by up to 75 percent.
The addition of Red Hat capabilities can support your infrastructure, security and application management.
IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management v1.2 includes additions to infrastructure, security and application management. But what’s more exciting is the addition of Red Hat CloudForm functionalities and the integration with Ansible Automation Platform. A new UX can help your operations team easily communicate to Ansible playbooks and perform day-two operations, thus helping to control inventory, discovery and management for VM-based applications.
- Runbooks that event management executes to remediate problems can now be written in Ansible.
- Operators can automate the configuration of networks, storage attachments in clouds and compute resources as part of application development using preexisting Ansible playbooks.
- IT automation needed for operations or setup/deployment/configuration, scripting can be performed using Ansible.
Wherever you are on your cloud management journey, IBM can meet you there.
Hopefully you can sleep better at night knowing that your hybrid, multicloud environment can be modernized, secured and managed while you continue to use your existing investments. You can consistently automate deployment, manage, protect and govern applications wherever your workloads run, while driving operational efficiency to gain a competitive advantage and improving service levels.