December 13, 2016 | Written by: Sal Bruno
Share this post:
Companies large and small are looking for the best way to use cloud service provider (CSP) capabilities, including disaster recovery, as part of an emerging hybrid cloud strategy.
Many of those same enterprises have made significant investments in VMware-based technology over the past few years, deriving substantial business value.
IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions are designed to help those organizations enable this strategy.
For hybrid cloud to truly fulfill its potential, all workloads, including production, must be supported. This means being prepared for disaster recovery events with confidence.
Building on its VMware Cloud Foundation offering, IBM Cloud is adding a new solution for disaster recovery based on Zerto Virtual Replication (ZVR) and its intra-cloud architecture. ZVR enables hypervisor-based replication and supports multiple hypervisors, providing tremendous flexibility and use case coverage.
Zerto on IBM Cloud is designed to provide a security-rich, flexible and scalable disaster recovery solution. It is a single-tenant architecture that is integrated with IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions on bare metal. This approach grants organizations full access and control of their VMware vCenter deployments and associated disaster recovery solutions.
This latest offering is usage-based and supports several use cases, including: from a customer data center or co-location facility to the cloud; from one IBM Cloud data center to another; high-speed cloud migrations and cloud bursting.
Organizations also can use IBM’s global network backbone for replication between IBM Cloud data centers at no additional cost.
Disaster recovery and intra-cloud architecture
Zerto on IBM Cloud is attractive to mid-size and larger enterprise companies that are currently running and managing their production VMware or Hyper-V environments a customer data center or co-location facility, in IBM Cloud or both.
This solution also appeals to organizations that are looking for a standard approach with a multi-CSP strategy.
Companies using the service can realize the following benefits:
- Automation: Fully automated Zerto Virtual Replication deployment
- Cost effectiveness: No cost to use IBM Cloud’s private network to replicate data
- Security: Workloads are protected through physical isolation
- Scalability: Start small and scale up or down as needed
- Performance: Ability to choose from multiple storage and dedicated compute options
- Point in time recovery: Recovery to any point in time within seconds of data loss
- Non-disruptive testing: Testing with no impact to production
- Application consistency: Recovery of complex applications running across multiple virtual machines and restoration to any point in time in minutes
What’s been missing up to now is a true, production-ready cloud that provides client access and control at the hypervisor layer, along with disaster recovery capabilities, that meet a rigorous set of production RPO and RTO requirements. Organizations can now have that capability and be confident that they are ready for disaster recovery.
Learn more about IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions.