July 23, 2014 | Written by: Sergio Varga
Share this post:
There are many reasons for an organization to deploy a private cloud instead of a public cloud. Security needs, the type of workload, integration, cost and service management are all factors in the decision.
Service management includes a range of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) disciplines and should cover the entire cloud infrastructure, from below hypervisor (network, storage and server) through above hypervisor (workloads, OS, application and middleware).
When a company deploys a private cloud, it usually manages the cloud environment on premises. But what about when the private cloud is not deployed in the company’s environment? What options are available for private cloud management?
The first option I mentioned (a private cloud in the company’s environment) requires a skilled team in the company responsible to perform all the work. Another option is to hire a service provider for service management. The service provider would manage the entire cloud environment, providing tools and a skilled team.
This sounds like outsourcing, doesn’t it? As Colin Baker discussed in his blog post on ZDNet, if cloud is an evolution of outsourcing, then it is very important for the company to choose a service provider with experience in managed services, right?
Let me present one IBM solution that fits well into this scenario: IBM SmartCloud Management Services – managed infrastructure for private cloud. This solution provides an extensive set of services for companies that may not have the skills or simply may not want to manage their private cloud. It is based on ITIL best practices, utilizes the expertise and experience of IBM in cloud computing and was created based on proven cloud architecture and standards.
The following figure displays the components of SmartCloud Management Services – managed infrastructure for private cloud.
The main characteristics of this solution are:
• Modular capability selection: The customer can select the level of service (base or advanced) as well as the scope of service.
• Broad security management: IBM SmartCloud Management Services – managed infrastructure for private cloud deploys a wide range of security disciplines, including security health checks; patch management; issue management; threat and risk management; identity and access management; security compliance; and security and audit information.
• End-to-end management and monitoring: Managed infrastructure for private cloud deploys an integrated set of tools and automation.
• A dedicated account team: A skilled team is responsible for the entire cloud environment.
• Reports and service level agreements (SLAs): The solution provides base and advanced reporting capabilities, as well as standard and premium SLAs based on resolution and response time.
• VMware support: The first release of managed infrastructure for private cloud supports VMware technology.
If you are looking for a service provider to manage your private cloud, IBM SmartCloud Management Services – managed infrastructure for private cloud may be a good fit for your organization! Contact me on Twitter @varga_sergio to talk more about service management for cloud environments.