March 5, 2012 | Written by: Katie Keating
Share this post:
Image courtesy IBM Watson
Last year, IBM introduced the world to its highly advanced computing system, IBM Watson. Using its ability to analyze structured and unstructured data, Watson was the first machine to ever win on the quiz show Jeopardy!, defeating the show’s two most celebrated players.
Watson’s ability to analyze natural human language, and quickly process vast amounts of information with speed, accuracy and confidence has mesmerized us and opened our minds to dream about its endless array of possibilities.
This month’s #cloudchat on March 8 from 4-5 p.m. ET will take a look at Watson’s journey over the past year and what’s in store for the future, as it leverages big data analytics and the cloud to solve real-world problems (learn about how Watson is working in healthcare: http://bit.ly/z7oAgv and the banking industry: http://ibm.co/xNa6Jy).
Joining us to discuss how Watson and the cloud work together are:
Adrian Bowles, Industry Analyst
Adrian is an internationally recognized thought-leader with over 25 years of experience as an analyst, practitioner and academic in IT strategy and management. He has followed IBM Watson closely since its debut on Jeopardy! (Read his article What would Watson do?). He is the founder of SIG411 LLC, a sustainability consulting firm in Westport, Conn.
Previously, Adrian founded the Governance, Risk Management & Compliance Roundtable for the Object Management Group, the IT Compliance Institute, and Atelier Research. He has held executive positions at Ovum (Datamonitor), Giga Information Group, New Science Associates, and Yourdon, Inc. Adrian also held academic appointments in computer science at Drexel University and SUNY-Binghamton, and adjunct faculty positions in the business schools at NYU and Boston College.
Michael Holmes, Manager IBM Watson Commercialization Marketing
Michael Holmes is a program director managing a broad range of marketing activities for IBM Watson Solutions. He will be tweeting from @IBMWatson during the #cloudchat. His responsibilities include content creation, social media, demos, and enablement. Previously, Michael managed a team focused on customer success stories and messaging around IBM’s Smarter Planet initiatives, cloud, marketing automation, SOA, and business agility. He has held a variety of positions including product management and program support since joining IBM in 2002.
Add to your calendar via Eventbrite
As always, here’s the full rundown of how the #cloudchat works:
- What: A tweetchat is an online conversation held at a pre-arranged time following a specific hashtag, in this case #cloudchat. You will need a Twitter ID to take part.
- When: Thursday, March 8, at 4 p.m. ET, repeating the 2nd Thursday of every month at 4 p.m. ET.
- Where: The chat can be followed on Twitter using the hashtag #cloudchat. Alternatively, log on and access the chat on twebevent. A recap will be posted on this blog the following Friday.
- Why: To facilitate additional industry dialogue and provide a forum for questions, idea sharing, and problem solving. We want your input on what you’d like to discuss during future chats, so please leave a comment on this post or tweet @ibmcloud with topic ideas.
- Who: Anyone and everyone is welcome to join!