Share this post:
Movie at Think 2019: Scaling cloud-native development for digital business growth
To satisfy customers, development organizations must deliver innovative experiences at increasing velocity. At the same time, the potential for innovating digital experiences through AI and other advanced technologies appears limitless.
The result is a competitive spiral. Experts agree that adopting a cloud-native development model is now necessary to succeed. But each business must chart the right path into the cloud from where they are now. If you’re at Think 2019 this week, as the conference is winding down, come watch an IMAX movie of the IBM Cloud team diving into the cloud-native model and explaining how to make it work best for your specific organization. Along the way, HCL Technologies shares the story of how they use IBM Cloud platform to do cloud-native development.
Where: AMC at Metreon, Level 3 | Theater 16 – IMAX
When: Thursday, 1:30 PM – 2:10 PM | Session ID: 7858A
Here are some key resources related what you’ll see:
To remain competitive, your organization needs the power of the cloud
- Cloud-native applications can be deployed and running in minutes, then scaled as demand increases. Infrastructure is no longer a bottleneck for innovation—moving from idea to production is faster than ever.
- Cloud applications can use new technologies by connecting to services on the cloud platform. Whether you’re building something new or modernizing applications, you can plug in AI, IoT, analytics, and other services to enhance your application’s capability.
- Application architectures must be updated to support these new technologies and use new cloud patterns that are more flexible, stable, and secure than traditional monoliths.
- Focusing on innovation and removing bottlenecks is also required for the practices that your teams follow throughout the application lifecycle. By following IBM Design Thinking, DevOps, lean and agile practices, your teams can deliver the right outcomes at the speed the market demands.
This kind of digital transformation happens every day in the IBM Cloud Garage.
The startup culture of agile methodologies
Even worldwide enterprises need to embrace a startup’s culture of innovation. Over 75% of organizations will experience digital disruption because of skills gaps. This is why the IBM Garage helps clients disrupt, innovate, operate, and motivate like a startup, creating inspiring experiences that produce significant business outcomes, fast. Our clients work with experts in the Garage and learn by doing and being immersed in high-performing cloud-native approaches. The entire team follows practices that focus on innovation, use new technologies and architectures, and apply them to address real-world business opportunities.
This model allows a squad of designers, offering managers, and DevOps engineers to demonstrate success by using cloud-native approaches. Empowered teams are happier and more passionate about their work, business objectives are met faster and with better results, and customers are delighted by the experience that meets their needs.
And that’s where the real work begins!
How agile methodologies help you scale
The most common reaction to a Garage engagement is: “That was amazing. Now, how do we replicate this across the enterprise?”
The IBM Cloud Innovate Method can help. It provides guidance by combining architecture implementations, practices, and cloud adoption expertise to transform your business while you seamlessly transition from learning the basics to adopting full enterprise architecture implementations.
Succeeding with cloud-native development is possible with prescriptive guidance on building new applications and leveraging the architectures and technologies that best fit the need. Architectures provide best practices by defining the basic pattern, guiding you to choose the right technologies, practices, and tool choices for building and deploying each pattern. These span a multitude of services, including IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service, Cloud Functions, Cloud Foundry, event messaging, Watson, IoT, Blockchain, data science, machine learning, and broad database services.
To understand how to implement the Garage Method, explore the seven components of the process:
- Culture: Build trust and alignment with better communication and transparency.
- Discover: Understand the business opportunity.
- Envision: Use IBM Design Thinking to know your audience and meet their needs faster than your competition.
- Build: Continuously build, test, and deploy code through an automated delivery pipeline.
- Run: Harness the power of the cloud to quickly get your MVP to production.
- Manage: Manage your applications to a high degree of quality and meet your service level agreements.
- Learn: Learn from your users as they interact with the application.
See you at the movie!
In 14 physical locations worldwide, the Garage gives you a quick win with platform-as-a-service, private cloud, containers, blockchain, Watson, IoT, analytics, data science, and more. After you visit a Garage, your next job is to replicate your success across your entire organization.
Attend the screening on Thursday at Think