October 8, 2018 | Written by: Yakura Coffee
Categorized: Hybrid Deployments | Integration | VMware
Share this post:
Traditional WebSphere App Server with the benefits of private cloud? Yes!
Today’s development shops seek solutions that provide an iterative approach to application modernization based on the business needs and application complexity. They prioritize leveraging existing investments and adopting new technologies at their pace. As WebSphere application workloads move to cloud environments, the benefits inherent to cloud-based deployments will continue to grow. Best practices and technologies aimed at rapid-fire application delivery for business innovation and responsiveness, high security, availability, and privacy are only a few of the benefits of application modernization on IBM Cloud Private.
Based on Kubernetes, IBM Cloud Private makes it easy to stand up an elastic runtime. For workload styles that need to stay in virtual machines (VMs), we’ve added WebSphere Application Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter as an option. It’s a rapid way to migrate your traditional WebSphere app to an up-to-date WAS V9 integrated with IBM Cloud Private Core Operational Services.
Introducing the WebSphere App Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter
The benefits of WebSphere App Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter include the following:
- Reduce development cycle time: Business teams can cut down on development cycle time through streamlined administration, development, and testing. The most significant benefits are the reduced wait times experienced by developers and test engineers to gain access to new environments. Especially for later versions of WebSphere, like V7/V8, End-of-Service deadlines will create the need to dev/test on the latest WebSphere Application Server.
- Increase speed-to-market and improve the end-user experience: Through automated application delivery, business teams are able to introduce new functionality at a much faster rate, allowing them to be more responsive to customer needs while identifying new business opportunities.
- Hardware capital avoidance: The efficiency gains from rightsizing the application environments and the savings related to reclamation of unused capacity on-premise.
- Automate and standardize delivery of infrastructure: Business teams can automate and standardize delivery of infrastructure to extend Traditional WebSphere VM topologies in an IBM Cloud Private management plane using Cloud Automation Manager to seamlessly manage the private cloud alongside Kubernetes workloads in IBM Cloud Private.
WebSphere Application Server and its modernization architecture
Below is topology diagram of an IBM Cloud Garage Method architecture showing WebSphere App Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter deployed as a service in the IBM Cloud Private Catalog. That is, it shows IBM Cloud Private Kubernetes workloads with traditional WebSphere VMs (as VM-based middleware) provisioned beside it, with WebSphere integrating into IBM Cloud Private operational core services management.
This journey is not all about WebSphere App Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter. IBM Cloud Private users can leverage Transformation Advisor:
Transformation Advisor analyzes your existing your WebSphere applications and gives you prescriptive guidance on which applications are good candidates for the IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter as the target under “Complex Scenarios” requiring VM-based topologies.
IBM Cloud Automation Manager is leveraged underneath the covers to automate the deployment of your traditional WebSphere topologies to your existing VMware environment by leveraging Terraform templates and Chef cookbooks. WebSphere App Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter is the starting point in IBM Cloud Private for end-to-end automation deployment and efficient management of traditional WebSphere workloads.
In summary, existing WebSphere Application Server customers have an integrated starting point for an e2e framework for app modernization with the tools, technologies, and services to be successful on IBM Cloud Private—seeding the ultimate goal of getting to cloud-enabled and cloud-native WebSphere workloads in IBM Cloud Private.
Check out the WebSphere App Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter – Community Edition
To get you started, we have created several videos that allow you to quickly leverage WebSphere App Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter “Community Edition” and see some initial benefits of application modernization.
- Check out the GitHub repository.
- Review the developerWorks Recipe on how to set up WebSphere App Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter “Community Edition.”
- IBM Cloud Private provides the catalog, the deployment engine, and a management plane. We created a Helm chart with the configuration parameter and setup steps needed for an admin to install WebSphere App Server for IBM Cloud Private VM Quickstarter “Community Edition.”
Stay tuned for additional updates on application modernization on IBM Cloud Private and enhancement to the journey of WebSphere to the cloud.