Share this post:
Starting today, IBM Cloud Monitoring is available in the Bluemix catalog. You can find the service in the DevOps section. IBM Cloud Monitoring provides monitoring to the Bluemix platform and it automatically collects metric data from select Bluemix services. The service is available now in US-South (Dallas) and will roll out to EU-GB (London) and EU-Central (Frankfurt) soon there-after.
Today’s announcement includes exciting abilities:
- Alert into action! IBM Cloud Monitoring offers an API that you can use to set performance thresholds, and to be notified when those thresholds are breached. Define alert rules for a single service instance or app instance, and alert rules that report on a set of instances. When an alert is triggered, get a notification through an e-mail, a PagerDuty event, a webhook notification, or any combination of the three.
- Add custom metrics. IBM Cloud Monitoring offers APIs that you can use to add relevant application and business metrics to your Cloud Monitoring data. You can also use them to send metric data from outside the IBM Cloud into the IBM Cloud Monitoring service.
- Build reusable dashboards and make them interactive. IBM Cloud Monitoring’s hosted Grafana provides support for building custom dashboards with a large palate of visualization options. Make your dashboards dynamic with templating by using metric queries with variables.
- IBM Cloud Monitoring offers metric collection at once per minute. The Lite plan retains metrics at full resolution for 15 days. The Premium plan retains metrics at full resolution for 45 days.
- Choose the service plan that fits your needs. You may choose the Lite service plan or the Premium service plan to match your usage needs. The Lite plan offers basic platform metric collection and complementary alerting. Alternatively, you can select the Premium plan to enable greater metric consumption with a longer retention period, to increase the number of alerts that you can define, including alerts that report on multiple services and apps, and to gain access to the service’s APIs.
- Access your service through the Bluemix catalog. For the IBM Bluemix Containers service with single and group containers, you can also access the service from the Bluemix UI.
Change in service location. Here is what you need to know:
Starting July 12, 2017, the refreshed Cloud Monitoring service is available from a new web URL in Bluemix. New Lite and Premium metric collection frequency and retention periods are available from the new service URL only.
If you are using the IBM Bluemix Containers service with Kubernetes, your data is already running from the new web URL in Bluemix.
- The legacy monitoring collection policy will remain in place for existing metrics.
- The new monitoring collection policy will be applied to all new metrics.
If you are using the IBM Bluemix Containers service with single and group containers, or for metrics automatically collected from other IBM Bluemix services, the Cloud Monitoring service will forward metric data to both the old and new locations for a period of no less than 30 days.
- You will need to update your browser bookmarks to the new Grafana URLs.
- Finally, you many continue to access the old service through your existing URLs for a period of no less than 30 days.
If you access the service through the Bluemix UI, you will automatically link to the new location and no action is needed.
Spend less time instrumenting your monitoring and more time enhancing your application’s value
Empower your DevOps team with IBM Cloud Monitoring for insight into how applications are performing and consuming resources. Quickly identify trends and diagnose problems. Learn more here!
Try IBM Cloud Monitoring today and let us know what you think!