June 5, 2017 | Written by: Riz Amanuddin
Categorized: Products | Storage | What's New
Share this post:
IBM is pleased to announce the immediate availability of our new low cost and low latency Regional Service for IBM Cloud Object Storage, located in the US-South (Dallas) Regional area, open for all customers to use worldwide. With our new Regional resiliency service, customers now have the choice to store and access their data within a single region composed of multiple IBM Cloud data centers for business continuity and high availability with low cost and low latency.
The Regional service provides high availability and data durability across three IBM Cloud data centers in the US-South (Dallas) region. As part of IBM’s Cloud Object Storage continued location and service expansion strategy, the new Regional service complements our existing U.S. Cross Region multi-region resiliency service for IBM Cloud Object Storage.
Why IBM Cloud Object Storage?
Today, data is your business, and how you choose to store and manage your data is critical. IBM Cloud Object Storage is designed to help customers store, manage and access their unstructured data to unlock its value. IBM Cloud Object Storage public cloud services offer essential features, including server side encryption for data at rest and an S3-compatible API.
With Cloud Object Storage customers get the flexibility and pricing that best fits their workload and access patterns. Customers have the flexibility to store data in “object buckets” to best fit their data access patterns for active, less active, archive, and dynamic data with our storage classes (Standard, Vault, Cold Vault, and Flex), and have the ability to choose resiliency options (Regional and Cross-Region).
Resiliency options for your data workload
• Regional: Data is stored automatically in multiple IBM Cloud data centers within a single geographic region providing high data durability and availability.
• Cross-Region: Data is stored automatically in IBM Cloud data centers across three geographic regions, helping ensure business continuity and workload data accessibility across multiple regions.
A Storage Class for Every Workload
IBM Cloud Object Storage public cloud services deliver consumption, storage and retrieval options based on workload demands. Check out our recommended use cases for varying data access requirements.
• Standard: This service is for unstructured data that requires frequent access, including DevOps, analytics, collaboration and active content repositories.
• Vault: This service is for workloads with infrequently accessed data, including backup, data retention and business continuity.
• Cold Vault: This deployment option is ideal for minimum access requirements, including data archive, historical records compliance and long-term digital asset preservation.
• Flex: This service is ideal for workloads with unpredictable or variable data access patterns and protects your budget from unexpected cost fluctuations. For example, the Flex service is suitable for workloads that are ‘hot’ one month and ‘cold’ the next month.
Both Regional and Cross Region deployment models offer a simplified price with no separate charge for multiple data centers within the region or cross region offering.
Click here for more information on IBM Cloud Object Storage pricing.
One Service, Many Users
The Service is available to all customers and partners that want to leverage the Cloud Object Storage public service, supporting a variety of users:
• IT Admins can simply use IBM Cloud Object Storage (Regional or Cross Region) with gateways, applications and tools for cloud data storage.
• Application Developers can directly use IBM Cloud Object Storage natively for content storage with easy to use APIs and SDKs for rapid development and DevOps.
• Application Service Developers can quickly combine cloud services for overall cloud applications and services. Cognitive, Analytics, IOT, and other workflows can leverage frameworks, toolkits and SDKs.
Test Drive IBM Cloud Object Storage, FREE for 1 Year
Get started now with our Free-Tier offer. Use Promo Code: COSFREE at signup and we’ll give you and get up to 25 GB/month at no charge, up to 20,000 GET requests/month at no charge, and up to 2,000 PUT requests/month at no charge(1).
The Cloud Object Storage Service requires a Bluemix SoftLayer account and is fully integrated with our self-service portal for provisioning, support and billing.
Read Our Get Started Guide
1 IBM Cloud Object Storage Cross Region Free-Tier expires 12 months after your initial sign up. Standard rates apply for usage beyond 25 GB, 20,000 GET requests per month and 2,000 PUT requests per month. Free-Tier applies a maximum non-refundable monetary credit equivalent to the value of said services against your monthly statement. Please see product detail page for full, pricing details.