March 22, 2017 | Written by: Meryl Veramonti
Categorized: Storage | What's New
Share this post:
The Bluemix Cloud Storage team is pleased to announce more options and enhancements for Block & File Storage customers, like doubling your storage without doubling your costs thanks to more size options at the TB level. This new development reminds me of the brilliant and always classic movie, Father of the Bride. You know the scene: Steve Martin goes on a rant in a supermarket about how the hot dog company has colluded with the bun company to sell more of both products. Check it out below!
• 88% increase in IOPS max: Meet the most demanding I/O requirements with 48k IOPS – now available when provisioning with Performance options.(1)
• Snapshots and replication: Capture point-in-time snapshots and disperse for business continuity – now available when provisioning with Performance options.(2)
• Granular volume sizes: TB increments are now available when provisioning with both Endurance and Performance options (available in all datacenters worldwide).
IBM Cloud data centers with new upgrades
• Dallas, TX: DAL09, DAL10, DAL12, DAL13
• San Jose, CA: SJC03
• Washington, DC: WDC04
Additional data center availability coming in 2017.
For those of you keeping track – this is the second, recent installment of enhancements for the block and file storage family. In November 2016 we rolled out lower prices, flash-backed architecture(3) with encryption-at-rest(4) and a full lineup of high-performance IOPS tiers. These improvements deliver a more consistent feature set among the current block and file provisioning options, and help our customers effectively manage their storage growth costs. We really couldn’t be more excited about the new direction Bluemix Block and File storage is headed in 2017!
“If I have non-encrypted block and file storage already provisioned in an upgraded data center can I encrypt it now?
Data on non-encrypted storage in an upgraded data center can be encrypted by creating a new block or file LUN/volume then copied to the new volume with host based migration.
Learn how to migrate your block storage here.
Learn how to migrate your file storage here.
“How do I know if I’m provisioning block and file storage in an upgraded data center?”
All upgraded data centers are denoted with an asterisk in the ordering portal. You’ll see an icon in your storage list that shows that volume or LUN is encrypted. All encrypted LUNS/volumes are in upgraded data centers.
“I have VSI/bare metal in an upgraded data center. Where can I estimate the addition of block and file storage costs?”
You can estimate your block and file storage costs with our online calculator.
Try the online calculator now.
As always, we’re here to help! Please reach out to us in the support forums.
1. 48,000 IOPS provisioned within Performance options is currently available in DAL09, DAL10, DAL12, DAL13, SJC03 and WDC04 datacenters. 48,000 IOPS provisioned within Endurance tiers is available in all datacenters.
2. Snapshots and replication provisioned within Performance options is currently available in DAL09, DAL10, DAL12, DAL13, SJC03 and WDC04 datacenters. Snapshots and replication provisioned within Endurance tiers is available in all datacenters.
3. Flash-backed storage is available with 2 IOPS/GB tier options and higher and is currently available in DAL09, DAL10, DAL12, DAL13, SJC03 and WDC04 datacenters.
Encryption for data at rest is currently available in DAL09, DAL10, DAL12, DAL13, SJC03 and WDC04 datacenters. All encrypted File Storage volumes provisioned in the select data centers have a different mount point than non-encrypted volumes. View the mount point information in the Volume Details page in the UI as well as access the correct mount point via an API call: SoftLayer_Network_Storage:getNetworkMountAddress() to ensure you are using the correct mount point for both your encrypted and non-encrypted file storage volumes.