February 11, 2016 | Written by: Amy Blea
Categorized: Storage | What's New
Share this post:
The IBM Block Storage for Bluemix beta service is now available in London! Use this beta service to provision and manage persistent, on-demand storage for your IBM Virtual Servers and their applications that require high performing, low latency storage. With this service, you can easily manage your block storage independent of your runtimes.
Bluemix developers and users can attach and detach volumes to their IBM Virtual Servers, manage snapshots and expand their volume sizes as their storage capacity requirements grow.
This new service has the following key features:
- Service dashboard UI for block storage management, featuring overall view of block storage usage, volume management, snapshot management, and ability to attach/detach to IBM Virtual Servers.
- Industry adopted OpenStack Cinder API and SDKs to access your block storage volumes programmatically.
- Easily expand your volumes as needed without having to create a new volume from a copy or snapshot.
- Create and manage snapshots of your data for business continuity.
- Scalable performance at 4 IOPS/GB.
- Keep your data private with built-in encryption for data-at-rest.
- Authentication for the service is provided by the OpenStack Identity v3 API.
- Designed to be resilient to protect from data from loss during maintenance and failures.
- Provides durability backed by IBM SoftLayer cloud platform.
Check out this short video introduction to the service:
Block storage management has never been easier. The service dashboard gives you a quick view of your storage consumption, and the ability to provision and manage volumes and snapshots with a few clicks of a button. For more details, see Getting Started with Block Storage!