Share this post:
Two new enhancements to IBM Cloud Internet Services: Range and Edge Functions
We are thrilled to announce two very exciting enhancements—”Range” and “Edge Functions”—to IBM Cloud Internet Services (CIS). IBM Cloud Internet Services (CIS) is IBM Cloud‘s go-to security, reliability, and performance solution for your client’s Internet-facing endpoints, applications, and APIs.
Range enhances CIS’s broad capabilities by enabling our clients with network security to protect their TCP/UDP applications and API endpoints on non-HTTP/HTTPS ports. Edge Functions provide clients with powerful customization of the network edge proxy that offers flexibility to filter their internet traffic more efficiently.
Broadening the Range
Security engineers and IT administrators face a major challenge in protecting their infrastructure when running TCP and UDP services, which are directly exposed to the public internet. This challenge is extremely problematic for gaming services, remote server access (SSH), email (SMTP), and IoT applications. When targeted with Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks, these services suffer downtime or degraded performance to end users. Furthermore, these applications tend to be highly sensitive to latency. Security engineers and IT admins need a security solution that will not adversely impact latency or end-user experience.
IBM Cloud Internet Services (CIS) Range frontend functionality, leveraging Cloudflare’s Spectrum service, ensures mitigation of Layer 3 and 4 volumetric DDoS attacks across all ports that run TCP and UDP protocols. This means that enterprises can now use CIS Range to do the following:
- Mitigate Layers 3 and 4 DDoS attacks across all ports using TCP and UDP.
- Block traffic by IP or IP Range by integrating with CIS IP Firewall so that traffic from specific IP or IP ranges can be dropped at the edge.
Access CIS Range in the Enterprise Usage and Package plans.
Deploying Edge Functions (Beta)
Simplicity and flexibility are built into all of the powerful features that CIS supports. As a result, we mask our complexity with simple on or off switches for clients to make quick and easy changes while also providing dozens of options for power users to fine-tune those features. Edge Functions takes the configurability of the CIS proxy to the next level.
- Intercept and modify any request made to their application
- Make outbound requests to any URL on the Internet
- Manage traffic at a more granular level for Internet-facing workloads, including APIs, applications, or endpoints
Clients can deploy from CIS locations around the world
Clients are able to easily deploy customizations specific to how content is served through highly specific caching rules and redirects on the Edge. They gain the ability to serve a higher level of richness personalization to a consumer by location, user device, or time of day. Clients also have more control over how they can interact with CIS services through advanced filtering logic, which allows them to do the following:
- Assess and subsequently block or reroute malicious or unauthorized requests
- Aggregate multiple responses into a single request
- A/B test at scale
In addition to the use cases described above, CIS Edge Functions adds additional capabilities to IBM Cloud Functions, our public cloud, multi-tenant, multi-region, high-density, low-cost compute for event-driven applications, APIs, and more. CIS Edge Functions can be used to implement a serverless application at the network edge. The ability to execute serverless functions at the edge in concert with (or without) a centralized data center application (serverless or otherwise) is a powerful new capability for application delivery. With CIS Edge Functions, customers can also access serverless computing benefits by running complex logic and code at the network edge.
Get started with the CIS Edge Functions Beta in the Standard and Enterprise plans.
Eager to learn more? Add these sessions to your agenda at THINK!
For those of you attending Think 2019 in San Francisco, we look forward to sharing more in person.
- Simplifying Enterprise Workloads with Modern Cloud Infrastructure: Hear from our Senior Vice President, the CEO of our Business Partner, Cloudflare, and others to learn about how the trade-offs of current and emerging technologies for infrastructure design continue to blend and play critical roles for businesses operating across the entire cloud platform.
- Navigating Cloud Network and Edge services in Hybrid and Multicloud Environments: Come and learn the pervasive issues that Cloud Networking can solve for our clients and how we are taking these solutions to the next level on the edge. All clouds welcome!
- Securing the Network Edge for Your Cloud Apps: Learn about the benefits of IBM Cloud Internet Services in partnership with Cloudflare, such as global load balancing, DDoS protection, WAF, DNS, web caching and SSL certificates a la carte—IBM now offers them in a one-stop shop, integrated with IBM Cloud platform security controls.
- How Weather.com Uses Edge Computing to Create the Future of Web Performance: Find out how, after years of iteration, the Weather team has found a unique way of using edge computing to assemble heterogeneous website resources into a single, highly reliable and performant site.