January 22, 2019 | Written by: Jordan Shamir
Share this post:
Announcing the general availability of Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 Update 4
IBM Cloud and Veeam are excited to announce the general availability of Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 Update 4. With this release, Veeam on IBM Cloud customers can take advantage of enhanced integration and new capabilities that make it easier for customers to more effectively manage and protect their virtualized workloads and applications.
Some of the major features of Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 Update 4
- Cloud Tier: Veeam is now natively integrated with IBM Cloud Object Storage, offering new data management capabilities to automate the movement of virtual machine backups to lower-cost, long-term storage as they as they age out of the required operational restore window. This integration significantly reduces the complexity of storage management, making it easier for Veeam customers to tier to the cloud directly to meet longer-term data retention and disaster recovery requirements and to infinitely scale Veeam backup capacity in an efficient, cost-effective, and resilient manner.
- SAP HANA Plug-in: Veeam has direct integration with SAP HANA. Customers can use Veeam to natively backup and restore SAP HANA workloads.
- VMware vSphere Role-based Access Control (RABC): Through establishing a role-based access control (RABC) for vSphere, enterprises significantly reduce total cost of ownership and improve recovery times, as they can easily delegate roles and privileges to specific users to create assigned backup jobs.
- Support for Oracle RMAN: Now, users can leverage Veeam’s deep integration with Oracle and support Oracle RAC, physical ASM, and Oracle container Databases to simplify the management of RMAN backups.
- Veeam Data Labs enhancements
- Staged Restore streamlines the GDPR data removal process with custom scripts and automation. Once restored, you can ensure compliance while saving time and resources.
- Secure Restore enables enterprises to verify backups and automatically perform an antivirus to effectively recover from ransomware attacks.
The new features included in Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 Update 4 enhance the integration of Veeam and IBM Cloud, as it now integrates with our Cloud Object Storage and SAP-certified infrastructure on IBM Cloud.
The Veeam on IBM Cloud solution
While many cloud providers are just beginning to offer further integration with Veeam, IBM has a long-established offering in the IBM Cloud with distinct advantages. Veeam on IBM Cloud offers a differentiating solution because IBM Cloud provides hypervisor and bare metal access, enabling a “native” version of Veeam with all the accustomed control and functionality. This allows a single Veeam experience across users’ on-premise and cloud environments, where customers can utilize all of the advanced functionalities, such as Veeam Instant VM Recovery, Data Labs, and SureBackup for their virtualized and physical environments. IBM Cloud is the only major cloud provider to enable this level of access to ensure a seamless and uniform Veeam experience.
Using the IBM network backbone, customers are able to securely migrate their data between IBM Cloud data centers at no additional cost, eliminating one of the most expensive elements of multi-site deployments. This multi-site connectivity enables customers to achieve a resilient and cost-effective backup strategy. And now with Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 Update 4, customers can automatically move backup files from primary storage to Cloud Object Storage to meet long-term data-retention requirements. The integration of Veeam’s Cloud Tier with Cloud Object Storage delivers seamless, enterprise-level data protection while simplifying data management, ensuring security, and providing infinite capacity—all at a lower cost.
To hear more about our Veeam and IBM Cloud solutions, see demos, and hear from our clients, make sure to attend THINK 2019.
Learn more about the new features and benefits of Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 Update 4 with IBM Cloud.
Read the solution brief