October 30, 2018 | Written by: Stephen Hussey
Categorized: Data Analytics | Data Science
Share this post:
IBM Streaming Analytics announcing the availability of container plans in the United Kingdom and the deprecation of VM plans in US South and United Kingdom
What is IBM Streaming Analytics?
IBM Streaming Analytics for IBM Cloud is an advanced analytic platform allowing user-developed applications to quickly ingest, analyze, and correlate information as it arrives from a wide variety of real-time data sources. Analysis of structured and unstructured streaming data like text, video, audio, geospatial, and sensor data helps organizations spot opportunities and risks to make decisions in near real-time.
New features in the United Kingdom
The IBM Streaming Analytics team is excited to announce additional plans for IBM Streaming Analytics in the United Kingdom.
The UK region already provides multiple Virtual Machine (VM) based plans for deploying Streams applications. We are now adding container-based plans for the UK in line with plans already available in our United States and Germany regions.
Container plans include an option for trial exploration of the service capabilities and multiple tiers for application development, testing, or production deployment. These services run on a Kubernetes container-based infrastructure. Our plan offerings are as follows:
- A Lite plan that provides a single, 1-core container
- Two Entry plans that use 1-core containers with hourly or monthly billing
- Two Enhanced plans that use 4-core containers with hourly or monthly billing
- Two Premium plans that use 16-core containers with hourly or monthly billing
To explore plan costs, use the cost calculator and select your country for local currency rates.
Feature changes in US South and United Kingdom
With the availability of the more advanced container plans in all current Streams regions, the VM-based plans in the United Kingdom and United States are being deprecated.
Container plans provide improved capabilities as well as identical pricing to VM plans. A trial plan for containers is also available in all regions, and container plan instances will experience a lower level of planned outages as functional and maintenance updates are applied.
Although the deprecation of VM plans does not prevent the creation of new instances or the continued use an existing instance, users are encouraged to begin the process of migrating applications to the new container plans immediately.
Key dates for the VM Plan deprecation
- Deprecation Announcement: October 30, 2018
- End of Marketing: December 11, 2018
As of the End of Marketing date, users will no longer be able to create new instances using VM plans. Existing instances will continue to run.
Getting started with IBM Streaming Analytics
To get started with services in any region:
- Visit the Streaming Analytics page in the IBM Cloud catalog and create a Streams instance.
- Run one of our Sample Applications, or develop and run your own Streams app by following our Streaming Analytics Development Guide.
- To estimate costs for your workload, use the cost calculator and select your country for local currency rates.