June 4, 2018 | Written by: Riz Amanuddin
Categorized: Storage | What's New
Share this post:
We’re pleased to announce the immediate availability of our new IBM Cloud Object Storage Regional service in Frankfurt, Germany. The new Regional service offers customers the option to store data within the Frankfurt region for in-country data sovereignty, while taking advantage of our low-cost, durable object storage that is fully integrated with the IBM Cloud platform.
The Regional service provides availability and data durability by automatically storing data across three IBM Cloud data centers in the Frankfurt region. As part of IBM’s Cloud Object Storage continued service expansion in Europe, the new Regional service in Frankfurt (EU-DE) complements our existing regional services in London (EU-GB) and Cross Region services in Europe (EU).
The value of IBM Cloud Object Storage for your business
Data is your business, and how you choose to store and manage your data is critical. IBM Cloud Object Storage (COS) is designed to help you efficiently and economically store, manage and access your data and unlock its value. It’s the ideal storage for all your cloud-native applications.
The service supports simple integration with compute and container runtimes and other microservices in IBM Cloud. For AI and Analytics workloads, IBM Cloud Object Storage is integrated with the Watson Data Platform to provide a low-cost, persistent storage layer that analyzes and leverages data for business insights. The service also supports enterprise and mission critical applications as a storage target for backup of on-premise data to the cloud. IBM Cloud Object Storage supports a variety of ways for customers to utilize hybrid patterns including access for on-premise applications to read and write to Cloud Object Storage and support for gateway products that allow reading and writing to object storage as an extension of your on-premise environment.
Key IBM Cloud Object Storage features include:
- Full range of storage tiers to support a variety of workloads
- Security and control over your data with encryption options, policies and permissions
- Native high-speed file transfer capabilities, with no charge for data ingress
- Integrated service for identity and access management policies, integrated UI
- IBM Cloud platform integration to leverage your data with applications and analytics, including SQL Query, IBM Watson cognitive and AI services
Range of price optimized storage class tiers
The Cloud Object Storage service offers a range of storage class tiers designed to support your use cases by delivering storage and retrieval options based on workload demands.
- Standard:This service is for data that requires frequent access, including streaming mobile and web content, DevOps, analytics, collaboration and active content repositories.
- Vault:This service is for workloads with infrequently accessed data, including backup, data retention and business continuity.
- Cold Vault:This deployment option is ideal for minimum access requirements, including data archive, historical records compliance and long-term digital asset preservation.
- Flex:This service is ideal for workloads with unpredictable or variable data access patterns and protects your budget from unexpected cost fluctuations. For example, the Flex service is suitable for cloud-native analytics and cognitive workloads that are ‘hot’ one month and ‘cold’ the next month.
Later this year we will be introducing our new low-cost archive capability in the Frankfurt Region, which offers simplified, lower cost options for storing data that is rarely accessed and is stored for long term data retention, compliance and business continuity purposes.
The IBM Cloud Object Storage archive capability works with all our storage class tiers (Standard, Vault, cold Vault, Flex) and is priced at U.S. List $0.002 GB/Month for data storage and $0.02 GB for data restore. Find out more about the IBM Cloud Object Storage archive capability.
Built in security and access control
IBM Cloud Object Storage default encryption automatically secures data at rest. Customers also have the option to use their own keys with the SSE-C API support, and SSE with IBM Key Protect (for Key Management) option. Integration with IBM Identity and Access Manager (IAM) in the IBM Cloud gives additional security and control over your data with bucket level controls to selectively grant permissions, assign user roles, and control the actions that users and applications can perform.
Get started quickly
In just a few minutes you can easily provision an object storage instance and deploy storage buckets using a simple UI and API. Developers can leverage SDKs to jumpstart their application development and the Cloud Object Storage API is a REST-based API and supports a common set of S3 API functions for programmatic access. SDKs are available for Java, Node.js and Python with support for user roles and bucket level permissions and policies.
Get started with our new Regional service in Frankfurt today with our free Lite Plan with up to 25GB of data storage capacity.
Learn more about IBM Cloud Object Storage