Share this post:
Today we are announcing that IBM Data Catalog will be renamed IBM Watson Knowledge Catalog.
IBM Watson Knowledge Catalog is an intelligent cataloging service that allows you to bring together and prepare analytic assets, including machine learning models and structured and unstructured data, wherever they live, for data science and AI.
The name change signifies the close integration with Watson Studio,
For existing Data Catalog users, this is a non-disruptive change.
What to expect:
- Anywhere you used to see IBM Data Catalog you will now see IBM Watson Knowledge Catalog or Knowledge Catalog for short.
- Your existing catalogs and assets created with the service will work just like they did prior to the name change.
- IBM Watson Knowledge Catalog will be found in the Watson section of the IBM Cloud Catalog. IBM Data Catalog was previously found in the Analytics section
In addition to the name change, you will also see:
- Introduction of Catalog Cognitive Suggest to the “Shop for Data” experience – AI-powered search & suggest that guides users to the most relevant assets in the catalog based on understanding of relationships between assets, usage of those assets, social connections between the users of those assets
- Enhanced support for unstructured data assets – Automatic profiling and classification of text assets in the catalog using Watson NLU
- Policy Driven Data Masking & Pseudonymization – Unlock more information than ever before whilst ensuring it is protected from misuse by on-the-fly masking of sensitive elements. Unlock previously unavailable data for data science and business analytics while ensuring compliance with industry and enterprise policies
- Integration with Information Governance Catalog (IGC) – Leverage your existing curated data sets fully extending your on premises IGC investment to cloud including our new Watson Studio offering
- Integrated Data Prep for Productive Use – Data professionals can easily wrangle/prep data found in the catalog with Data Refinery which is fully integrated into the Catalog reducing time to productive use dramatically. Transform and cleanse your data with 100+ data cleansing and wrangling transformations, get familiar with your data through data profile visualizations and schedule data flow jobs on a recurring basis.
- Capacity units will be included with all plans allowing users to and run profiling jobs in the Catalog and data flow jobs in the Data Refinery tool.