December 18, 2017 | Written by: Riz Amanuddin
Share this post:
IBM is pleased to announce the immediate availability of our new low cost, low latency Regional Service for IBM Cloud Object Storage, for the UK-London Region, now open for all customers to use worldwide. With this new regional resiliency service, customers now have the choice to store and access their data within the UK London region for in-country data sovereignty, business continuity and high availability with low cost and low latency.
The Regional service provides high availability and data durability across three IBM Cloud data centers in the UK- London Region (EU-GB). As part of IBM’s Cloud Object Storage continued location and service expansion strategy, the new Regional service complements our existing US-South Regional, US-East Regional and our U.S. & EU Cross Region resiliency services for IBM Cloud Object Storage.
Why IBM Cloud Object Storage?
Today, data is your business, and how you choose to store and manage your data is critical. IBM Cloud Object Storage is designed to help customers store, manage and access their unstructured data to unlock its value.
With Cloud Object Storage customers get the flexibility and pricing that best fits their workload and access patterns. Customers have the ability to store data as objects in buckets to best fit their data access patterns for active, less active, archive, and dynamic data with our storage classes (Standard, Vault, Cold Vault, and Flex), and have the ability to choose resiliency options (Regional and Cross-Region).
IBM Cloud Object Storage service can now also be used as part of an integrated experience within the IBM Cloud portal. The new unified user experience is designed to simplify object storage service start up, make it easy to store, manage and interact with data, accelerate application development and enable easier integration with IBM Cloud services.
Security and Control
We’ve enabled customer-driven permission and access control by integrating the Cloud Object Storage service with IBM Identity and Access Manager (IAM) in the IBM Cloud to give businesses additional security and control over their data. Organizations can now set Cloud Object Storage bucket-level access policies, selectively grant permissions, assign user roles, and control the actions that users and applications can perform.
We have also enhanced our encryption key options to give companies more control over their data security. In addition to our default encryption option that automatically secures data at rest, customers have the option to bring their own encryption keys to retain complete control of encryption keys while benefiting from our advanced encryption for data at rest.
Learn more about setting access control policies in IBM Cloud Object Storage
Jump start application development with Cloud Object Storage
Developers can leverage our API and SDKs to jumpstart their application development with object storage. The Cloud Object Storage API is a REST-based API and supports a common set of S3 API functions for programmatic access. SDKs are available for Java, Node.js and Python with support for user roles and bucket level permissions and policies.
Read our Getting Started Guide
Create a persistent data lake for analytics and data science
Data engineers and data scientists can leverage IBM Cloud Object Storage as a persistent data lake that is cost-effective, scalable, secure and always-on for self-service data ingest, advanced analytics, AI, and data visualization using Watson Data Platform services.
Learn more about using persistent data lakes using IBM Cloud Object Storage
A Storage Class for Every Workload
IBM Cloud Object Storage public cloud services deliver consumption, storage and retrieval options based on workload demands. Check out our recommended use cases for varying data access requirements.
- Standard: This service is for unstructured data that requires frequent access, including DevOps, analytics, collaboration and active content repositories.
- Vault: This service is for workloads with infrequently accessed data, including backup, data retention and business continuity.
- Cold Vault: This deployment option is ideal for minimum access requirements, including data archive, historical records compliance and long-term digital asset preservation.
- Flex: This service is ideal for workloads with unpredictable or variable data access patterns and protects your budget from unexpected cost fluctuations. For example, the Flex service is suitable for cloud-native analytics and cognitive workloads that are ‘hot’ one month and ‘cold’ the next month.
Resiliency options for your data workload
- Regional: Data is stored automatically in multiple IBM Cloud data centers within a single geographic region providing high data durability and availability.
- Cross-Region: Data is stored automatically in IBM Cloud data centers across three geographic regions, helping ensure business continuity and workload data accessibility across multiple regions.
Both Regional and Cross Region deployment models offer a simplified price with no separate charge for multiple data centers within the region or cross region offering.
Click here for more information on IBM Cloud Object Storage pricing.
Get started with our new London Regional service today with our free Lite Plan.
Evaluate our cloud object storage service with up to 25GB of data storage capacity, click here.