August 2, 2017 | Written by: David McHoul
Categorized: How-tos | What's New
Share this post:
In the Internet of Things (IoT), millions of connected “things” record and communicate important data via the Internet to central platforms or other “things.” This data provides important information such as temperature, humidity, diagnostics, or usage that can be used in troubleshooting, servicing, or providing status updates to interested parties. For most use cases, the location of a given device is a critical element that must be calculated and transmitted accurately and efficiently.
Skyhook’s cloud-based hybrid Precision Location system locates IoT devices via multiple methods. The system is optimized for IoT devices in that:
- It can be accessed via multiple methods including API or embedded client.
- It can accurately locate devices in all environments.
- It has minimal impact on battery life.
Skyhook’s Precision Location system calculates location based on observations received from the IoT device scanning the area for Wi-Fi access points, navigational satellites, or cell IDs and sends the observations to Skyhook location servers through the API via XML over HTTPs. The Skyhook Precision Location system will calculate and return a latitude, longitude and uncertainty radius.
To get started, all you need is an IoT device that can connect to the Internet, an IBM Bluemix account, and a Skyhook Precision Location URL and API Key.
Accessing Precision Location from Bluemix
First, you will need a Bluemix account. If you do not have one, you can request a 30-day free trial by clicking on the button below.
Sign up for Bluemix. It’s free!
From the Bluemix Console, click the Browse Catalog button and select the Skyhook service from the displayed icons list (see below).
Obtaining a Skyhook Precision Location API Key
Skyhook offers temporary demonstration keys and URLs at no charge. To start using Skyhook Precision Location, follow the steps below:
- Create a new account at my.skyhookwireless.com.
- Hover over the “Start a New Project” card and select “Precision Location” as the project type.
- Name your project. For API testing, select “Linux” as the default platform when prompted on the interface (the actual platform does not need to be Linux).
- Once your project is created, your API key will be displayed in the project dashboard.
- Obtain the full API documentation and URL by contacting Skyhook at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, try one of these additional Skyhook resources below:
Now it is your turn. Go!
Now you are ready to start locating Bluemix configured devices and using other Bluemix IoT services to accomplish your IoT objectives. Share your ideas and thoughts with us by making comments below. We want to know what you build!