May 18, 2017 | Written by: Scott Moonen
Categorized: How-tos | Hybrid Deployments
Share this post:
It is human nature to misjudge the cost of change if it offers an escape from our current problems. Today’s IT leaders face this challenge as they consider the cost and complexity of VMware migration from on-premises IT to a cloud-based infrastructure. The significant costs of on-premises IT are clear, but the costs of the cloud are not so clear to businesses that are just entering this space.
3 Reasons to Count the Cost of VMware Migration to the Cloud
According to Frost and Sullivan’s Guide to Assessing Cloud IT Economics, only 25% of IT decision-makers do a complete cost analysis of their cloud migration plans. Not only can this process reveal unexpected savings, but it can also highlight ways to optimize the migration path for maximum benefit.
Short-circuiting the cost analysis of cloud migration could result in:
- Unanticipated migration or management costs later on.
- Overlooking key options that could help you optimize your cloud migration.
- Missing out on cost-saving alternatives such as dedicated, private cloud compared to public cloud, or bare-metal cloud servers compared to virtual servers.
A key advantage of a cloud-based architecture is the ability to start small, allowing you to experiment and evaluate without a significant initial investment.
Fast Path to VMware in the Cloud
Only through analysis can you properly assess the price, performance, security, and migration characteristics of a migration path. Once you have estimated your initial cost and effort, you can validate your assumptions and perfect your migration plans by starting a small deployment and scaling it up over time.
For example, did you know you can rapidly experiment with cloud migration and hybrid cloud architectures by standing up a VMware virtualization environment in hours, rather than weeks?
With IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions, you get a standardized architecture validated by both IBM and VMware – one that combines the power and familiarity of VMware Cloud Foundation, the ESXi hypervisor, vCenter, and vSphere technologies with IBM Bluemix Infrastructure’s bare metal dedicated private cloud. Your VMware footprint can be easily extended around the world, on demand, while still allowing you to manage your own workloads.
IBM and VMware have simplified the VMware migration of your workloads from on-premises to the IBM Cloud with a solution that:
- Preserves your workload as VMware virtual machines, allowing you to migrate or even VMotion both your virtual machines and even your networks using proven VMware technologies.
- Capitalizes on your existing VMware tooling and expertise, which simplifies your investment in management.
- Brings you a secure, dedicated private cloud via the underlying IBM Bluemix infrastructure, using dedicated bare metal hardware and networking.
Is IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions the right choice for your organization? Get in touch and we’ll walk through your options together.