April 20, 2017 | Written by: Tim Connors
Categorized: How-tos | What's New
Share this post:
Last year we announced our IoT partnership with IBM to bring our IoT Platform capabilities to Bluemix, IBM’s cloud development platform. Our goal is to make it easy to launch IoT apps quickly, reliably, and at scale. We have previously introduced the AT&T M2X Data Service and the AT&T Flow Designer tool to Bluemix, and now we are launching IoT Data Plans: enterprise-grade SIMs that share a pool of prepaid data at low rates. This blog post shows you how to get started with AT&T’s IoT Data Plans on the Bluemix platform.
AT&T IoT Data Plans provide fast and flexible LTE-enabled cellular connectivity for your commercial IoT projects. You can manage your IoT SIMs and data usage over a consolidated network of connected devices over a small-to-medium scale project. IoT Data Plans is the solution for a-la-carte, self-service, easy-to-use SIM card and data management over dashboards, and real-time diagnostics and provisioning with AT&T Control Center, powered by Cisco Jasper. Enterprise-grade IoT LTE-enabled SIM Cards are available for purchase. You can manage SIMs and data plans over their full life cycle:
- Connect up to 1,000 devices with a single data plan on the AT&T LTE cellular network.
- Deploy IoT products fast, with ease, and at low cost. No negotiations.
- Commercial-grade connectivity whether your IoT devices are prototypes, in a pilot program, or in production.
- Monitor data usage and control SIMs in one place, in real-time, using a RESTful API or the AT&T Control Center interface.
- Prepaid annual data plans and on-demand SIMs enable you to scale your IoT operations to meet requirements.
- Automatically renew your data when it runs out or after your term ends.
Using AT&T IoT Data Plans on Bluemix
You can use AT&T IoT Data Plans directly from the Bluemix console. You will need a Bluemix account. If you do not have a Bluemix account, you can register for a free 30-day trial.
Sign up for Bluemix. It’s free!
From the Bluemix Catalog, perform a search on AT&T. You will see all 3 AT&T services listed in the Bluemix Catalog (as shown below). Select the AT&T IoT Data Plans service.
Click the Register link in the Add Service form, which will take you directly to the IoT Data Plans homepage:
Create an account at AT&T IoT Data Plans and order the plans you need. Once you receive your SIMS, you will be ready to connect.
To get up and running quickly with AT&T IoT Data Plans, we recommend using the AT&T IoT Starter Kit. Follow these steps in the Quick Start instructions to begin:
- Be sure to select the instructions for your specific version of the Starter Kit.
- Follow the instructions to activate your SIM(s) here.
- Once have successfully activated your SIM(s), you are good to go. If you are having trouble, submit a Ticket.
Begin prototyping on the AT&T IoT Platform tools for developers, M2X Data Service and AT&T Flow Designer.
If you aren’t sure where to start, don’t worry, we have extensive tutorials on the IoT Data Plans Web site, and there are even IBM developerWorks Recipes for using AT&T Control Center with the Watson IoT Platform.
IoT Data Plans Documentation and Support
IoT Data Plans documentation is available for all APIs. Further help is provided on the FAQ page, or through customer support (you can also send email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org).