August 18, 2016 | Written by: Payal Chakravarty
Categorized: DevOps | What's New
Share this post:
What’s one thing that all application developers and DevOps teams worry about? An outage or slow down that frustrates users to the point that they quit the application and move on to a competitor. You’ve likely seen the impact of outages on some of the most popular applications in the world, such as Netflix, Apple, Uber, and the most recent gaming phenomenon, Pokémon Go.
As DevOps teams deploy continuous updates to their applications, often multiple times a day, they must continuously ensure that their changes do not degrade performance. Teams must be aware of impending issues so that they can fix them before users notice them. At the same time, teams don’t have time to configure, set up, and maintain a set of complex tools to monitor continuously.
Maximize uptime and user satisfaction of applications
The solution to this problem is the IBM® Bluemix® Availability Monitoring service. The service is native to the Bluemix platform and maximizes the uptime and user satisfaction of applications wherever they are deployed – in development, test, staging, or production. Tightly integrated into the DevOps lifecycle, the service proactively runs simulated tests from around the world, around the clock, to detect, isolate, and diagnose performance issues.
Capabilities of the Availability Monitoring service
- Incorporated into the DevOps lifecycle as part of the delivery pipeline
- Can be set up in less than 5 minutes from the Monitoring tab of any of your Cloud Foundry applications
- Runs simulated synthetic tests from locations around the world, as often as once per minute, to test these actions:
- Webpage loads
- REST API calls
- Simulated user interactions through Selenium scripts
- Monitors not only your application, but also the services that it depends on
- Alerts users of issues through their preferred channel of notification, such as email, Slack, or SMS
- Helps identify whether an issue was caused by an application deployment or change by presenting an auto-correlated view of alerts, metrics, and deployment activities
- Diagnoses the exact step of failure by providing waterfall analysis that pinpoints slow requests, broken links, large images, slow external API calls, and more
- Accelerates diagnosis with an automated browser capture of the failure
- Provides daily, weekly, and monthly scores to ensure that target uptime and user satisfaction goals are being met
Watch the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R7uiyKaPRo)
Availability Monitoring versus Monitoring and Analytics
You might be wondering: how does this service compare to IBM Monitoring and Analytics for Bluemix? The Monitoring and Analytics service monitors runtimes and how they impact an application. With that service, you can narrow down to the line of code that is causing an issue. The Availability Monitoring service monitors availability and performance by using synthetic tests from around the world. The capabilities that the services provide are complementary, and the services can co-exist.
Try the Availability Monitoring service today!
The Availability Monitoring service is available as a beta offering on Bluemix Public; you can find it in the DevOps category. To access the service, in any of your Cloud Foundry applications, click the Monitoring tab. Or just click the button below:
Check out Availability Monitoring