New rules from the federal government require health plans regulated by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to develop and offer APIs that will make member data available directly to members. Health plans will miss opportunities if they view these requirements only as a regulatory hurdle. Other healthcare stakeholders are anxious to access and use member data. Forward-looking health plans, even those with products that are not subject to the CMS rules, recognize that data flowing via open and standard APIs will create a market catalyst for innovation in the wider healthcare data ecosystem. Health plans of all kinds need to look with fresh eyes at how they can use their data holdings to better engage their members and compete more effectively in their market.
Read the full research brief to learn more about:
• 21st Century Cures Act rules
• Industry resources for FHIR
• COVID-19 and the rapidly evolving healthcare landscape
• Enabling health plan digital transformation with APIs and FHIR
• Actions health plans can take to advance interoperability