Gartner states "New data locations and application types, data growth, increased data value, more-demanding recovery time objectives, and ransomware challenge backup implementations. Infrastructure and operations leaders responsible for data protection will need to adopt new backup technologies and procedures."
This paper discusses in detail the five key challenges that backup platforms must solve. They are
- Protect data regardless of application or location
- Expand the use of public cloud
- Scale performance and capacity
- Protect the backup repositories
- Handle legacy systems and data
It also details the various approaches and its respective advantages and disadvantages.
You can also read about dealing with legacy platforms and archived data.