A unique opportunity for education
When your school or university is ready to get started, IBM has tested technology and several solutions to offer, and a wide range of services available to help you make the transition. Based on best practices and the experience IBM has had with cloud computing across both K-12 and Higher Education, as well as in many other public sector and commercial environments, IBM can help you through all the phases of migration; including planning, preparation, testing, deployment, cloud extension and overall transformation.
Here are some solution entry-points for IBM Cloud Computing in Education to consider.
- IBM SmartCloud for Social Business™. Social Business offers easy-to-use communication tools that connect educators, colleagues, students and administrative staff for collaborative teaching and learning, on-campus or off-campus.
- IBM Cast Iron Cloud Integration: . Provides pre-configured integration solutions for hundreds of leading enterprise and cloud applications. This Cloud integration product, built on the IBM WebSphere platform, uses a "configuration, not coding" approach to solve the entire lifecycle of your integration needs.
- VCL offers an Apache open source cloud environment tailored for the needs of educational institutions. IBM provides the VCL platform with the BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud server based on IBM Systems for Cloud Computing, Tivoli Provisioning Manager software for high-scale-low-touch systems management, and a VCL Quickstart option from IBM Global Services - to address challenges such as reduced budgets, increased power cuts, aging equipment, application contention and the demand for teaching, learning and research software.IBM Virtual Computing Lab Solutions for Cloud
- IBM SPSS Decision Management for Education. Enables a broader group of educators and administrators the ability to create and apply predefined predictive models that combine insight from both instructors and administrators.IBM SPSS Decision Management for Education
- IBM Tivoli® Provisioning Manager automates IT resource lifecycle management with an integrated solution. It can help educational institutions optimize efficiency, accuracy and service delivery by automating best practices for data center provisioning activities.
- IBM Smart Desktop Cloud. Can help accelerate virtualization of your desktop environment with a range of cloud computing options that can streamline support to help control costs and enable security-rich access to education and administrative applications and data. Offerings include Smart Business Desktop Cloud for private cloud environments and Smart Business Desktop on the IBM Cloud for a public cloud environment.
- IBM Smart Business Storage Cloud. Can be implemented behind client firewalls in managed or unmanaged configurations or as an IBM-hosted offering. The combination of public and private models provides great storage efficiencies and broad workload support.
- IBM Smart Cloud Enterprise on the IBM cloud. Provides full customization and integration for a comprehensive test environment based on a private cloud computing model. This component also offers the option of using existing systems and storage for a complete cloud solution.
- IBM BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud. The IBM BladeCenter® Foundation for Cloud provides a preintegrated and preloaded system with software, server, storage, networking and start-up services to help you take the guesswork out of establishing a virtualized data center environment. A fast, easy way to install, deploy and start realizing the benefits of virtualization, BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud can help you get up and running in days, not weeks.
IBM Cloud Computing: A Continuum with three main types of Clouds
Cloud computing with IBM can be anywhere along a continuum that has three types of IT delivery models; services can be delivered by private clouds, public clouds and hybrid combinations of the two. These multiple clouds are fully integrated and co-exist, offering users a single interface to access to different departments, schools or institutions. Private clouds service an institution's traditional IT enterprise and can be operated on the campus or by a third party. Public clouds can span campuses and regions, offering a hub environment for access to each other's libraries, databases or applications, enabling public dialogue and collaboration. Hybrid clouds can incorporate features of both private and public clouds.
Let IBM do the legwork: Hosted services
By hosting cloud services optimized for workloads, IBM helps academic institutions save on IT management costs. This frees administrators to focus on their area of expertise – running a distinguished school that educates students.
While cloud computing enables community discussions, IBM security solutions ensure data and systems stay safe. They secure the integrity of the cloud – no matter how many uses have access to it or how much traffic it sees – with a variety of powerful IBM security options.
- IBM Vulnerability Management Service – Automates the vulnerability management life cycle while delivering visibility into each area of potential risk.
- IBM Security Event and Log Management Service – Archives, analyzes, correlates and trends security and network events.
- IBM Managed Email and Web Services – Protects the cloud from viruses, spam, and other risks inherent to email communications, as well as spyware, viruses and other web-based threats.
- IBM X-Force Threat Analysis Service – Delivers security intelligence and customized information about a wide array of threats that could affect network security.
Learn more about workload solutions